Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There are a number of threads on the whole sync / 'cloud' / no pc issue. Too many. W/o any further info from Palm it's all just general discussion and opinion. It makes for some good reading - but our questions are not being answered.

We know Palm sometimes monitors this board, so here we go:
    To Palm Employees: Please provide the Treocentral community with a Demonstration of how synching will work on Pre. Discuss the 'cloud' in more details while answering some questions about how the old synch process will be replace.

If anyone reading this feels this is a good idea, please post your question below. Maybe a writer for Treocentral can facilitate the demo and pose the questions.

Links to related threads:

WebOS Local Sync Poll

Palm "newness" wearing off : outlook sync problem

Sync is totally unnecessary

Hotsync???

there's no button

Pre to MobileMe

Is Palm Desktop Toast?

The Cloud + Sprint

So, how do you sync tasks if you don't use Exchange?

Is Pre Cloud like Mobile Me for Apple?
    Last edited by B-model; 01/13/2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Added all of the links
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    There are a number of threads on the whole sync / 'cloud' / no pc issue. Too many. W/o any further info from Palm it's all just general discussion and opinion. It makes for some good reading - but our questions are not being answered.

We know Palm sometimes monitors this board, so here we go:
    To Palm Employees: Please provide the Treocentral community with a Demonstration of how synching will work on Pre. Discuss the 'cloud' in more details while answering some questions about how the old synch process will be replace.

If anyone reading this feels this is a good idea, please post your question below. Maybe a writer for Treocentral can facilitate the demo and pose the questions.
    I think part of the confusion is people think of the cloud as a type of "sync" which it isn't. The point of the cloud is there is no sync. Isn't that the answer in itself?
  3.    #3  
    kinda look at it as a play on words.

who cares what it's called - Demonstrate how the average person can make sure everything that is on their phone is also on a web site or PC. Contacts, Calendar - but also documents ande everything else Plam users currently have, plus the new things pre can do - like multiple calendars
    da Gimp

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I think part of the confusion is people think of the cloud as a type of "sync" which it isn't. The point of the cloud is there is no sync. Isn't that the answer in itself?
    For Palm Desktop users, the picture is incomplete. All of my PIM data is currently on the Palm Desktop, and I have virtually nothing in Facebook and very little in Gmail. What does Synergy access in this case? I don't doubt that Palm has a solution for this, but as of right now the question is unclear, unless Palm Desktop users will be forced to migrate to Outlook.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    For Palm Desktop users, the picture is incomplete.

I think it's imcomplete to all of us, Palm OS users are just another class of legacy users - along with wm6 users, symbian users and people who use hotmail and other email/online pim services not mention at the launch.

It's year zero - you start from scratch with the rest of us (or that's how it currently appears with currently available information).
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Well I guess I don't fit into the vast middle that Palm expects to sell the Pre to. I have to have desktop sync to get to my calendar for work, Lotus Notes, onto my phone. Guess my next phone will have to be a wm6 with 3rd party sync or Blackberry.
  7.    #7  
    .... It's year zero - you start from scratch with the rest of us ....
    So true ...
    da Gimp

I think it's imcomplete to all of us, Palm OS users are just another class of legacy users - along with wm6 users, symbian users and people who use hotmail and other email/online pim services not mention at the launch.
    I was singling out the Palm Desktop to give a concrete example, in contrast to Outlook users, who seem to be taken care of by Synergy.

But I agree: the vast majority of users at this time only keep some, not most, of their information in the cloud. That's why we really need to see a demonstration.
  9.    #9  
    Outlook users who have exchnge are taken car of by synergy

But outlook users, who do not us MS Exchnge, are still an open questions (i happen to be one of them)
    da Gimp

For Palm Desktop users, the picture is incomplete. All of my PIM data is currently on the Palm Desktop, and I have virtually nothing in Facebook and very little in Gmail. What does Synergy access in this case? I don't doubt that Palm has a solution for this, but as of right now the question is unclear, unless Palm Desktop users will be forced to migrate to Outlook.
    I think it is clear that Palm Desktop users will be forced to migrate to something. Palm Desktop, like PalmOS, is a dead product at this point. You might want to start syncing your data to Outlook, it will give you many more options for getting your data into the cloud.
    But outlook users, who do not us MS Exchnge, are still an open questions (i happen to be one of them)
    One answer would be to get an exchange account. Another option might be to sync your outlook data with Google Calendar & Contacts.
    Before jumping to the Pre, get the free trial of Companionlink software and sync your Palm Desktop contacts (and calendar) with GMail. It is a desktop based syncing, done while you are hotsyncing

I tried it and it works, however i prefer Goosync and do all that syncing OTA

http://www.companionlink.com/product...forgoogle.html

http://www.goosync.com/
  13.    #13  
    been reading about goosync - looks ok. Companion looks ok as well.

So - moving to Google PIM (calendar, contacts, G-mail) seems to be a good option. It is mentioned in a numbe rof threads.

And it looks like all outlook users must use MS exchange

Palm Desktop users need to find a new app.

argh - seems like geeting onto pre is going to take alot of prepr work.
    da Gimp

Quote Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
    Before jumping to the Pre, get the free trial of Companionlink software and sync your Palm Desktop contacts (and calendar) with GMail. It is a desktop based syncing, done while you are hotsyncing

I tried it and it works, however i prefer Goosync and do all that syncing OTA

http://www.companionlink.com/product...forgoogle.html

http://www.goosync.com/
    Not to whip out my tinfoil hat or anything, but as it is I don't like keeping my emails on gmail for any longer than I have to. To have all my tasks, calendars, financial data, and everything else held on servers online just doesn't sit well with me. Outlook works well for me and I can sync and keep my own constant backups at all time.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Not to whip out my tinfoil hat or anything, but as it is I don't like keeping my emails on gmail for any longer than I have to. To have all my tasks, calendars, financial data, and everything else held on servers online just doesn't sit well with me. Outlook works well for me and I can sync and keep my own constant backups at all time.
    Agreed. How bout programs like SplashID. Do I need to keep my passwords, and bank accounts online also? No thanks.
    Last edited by mobileman; 01/13/2009 at 02:00 PM.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Agreed. How bout programs like SplashID. Do I need to keep my passwords, and bank accounts online also? No thanks.
    I get accused of being cynical so let me put my cynical hat on - this is a cynical post, ok?

Customer: How do I update to Pre?

Splash: oh we'll have something soon...

Customer (six months later): Have you got something

Splash: here you go! www.splashid.com yours for $20 a year!
    Outlook users who have exchnge are taken car of by synergy

Me too. Pisses me off too.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    am i wrong or during CES keynote they (Colligan or Rubinstein) mentioned Chapura as one of their partners?

Chapura's business is desktop syncronization, hence i think a solution for your concern is in the works.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
    am i wrong or during CES keynote they (Colligan or Rubinstein) mentioned Chapura as one of their partners?

Chapura's business is desktop syncronization...
    and wireless em.. cloud sync, a new product area where you pay a yearly fee and.. em.. see where I'm going with this?
    kinda look at it as a play on words.

who cares what it's called - Demonstrate how the average person can make sure everything that is on their phone is also on a web site or PC. Contacts, Calendar - but also documents ande everything else Plam users currently have, plus the new things pre can do - like multiple calendars
    I think we're missing the point...it's an all new platform...this isn't intended as an upgrade to the old PalmOS..it's an all new way/approach. Palm is leaving all that "old-ness" behind and thinking of the next generation. The vision here is that your data contact WILL exist in the Cloud from multiple sources. One of the sources could be your corporate EAS ...but that's not to say it's the governing source., just one of the many that has support at the time of this demo.

We have allot of questions 'for today'...but as Ed Colligan said, this is the platform for the next 10 years....and for that you have to realize where this is all trending towards. Thats what weOS is addressing....a solution you can use today and that will work for tomorrow.

However, there is support for Mass Storage. I'm willing to bet that there will be some desktop sync solution at launch to get your PIM info onto the device.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast