Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I'm willing to bet that there will be some desktop sync solution at launch to get your PIM info onto the device.
    I'll take that bet - my bet is there will be a solution to get you information into the cloud not directly onto the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I'll take that bet - my bet is there will be a solution to get you information into the cloud not directly onto the device.
    OK...either way but there will be some way...
    I think that Palm is betting (and correctly IMO) that people don't have their information organized and stored on something like Outlook/Palm Desktop, but instead have it "scattered" all over the web like on gmail, facebook, myspace, etc. The Pre will be a way to centralize all of that information. For users that do have information on Outlook or Palm Desktop, some use MS Exchange already (like I do). I think that Palm will come up with a solution to "sync" desktops with the cloud like MobileMe or MS Exchange does.
  4.    #24  
    yeah - it's a new platform, oldness is gone. who cares how it used to be - need more detials on how it;s gonna be and the options availbe out of the box.

and agree- more then likleya solution avaible to get data into the cloud
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I think that Palm is betting (and correctly IMO) that people don't have their information organized and stored on something like Outlook/Palm Desktop, but instead have it "scattered" all over the web like on gmail, facebook, myspace, etc.
    Yeah all saved as separate "dave Mobile" "dave work" "dave home" entries across the web - being an anal PIM person, I feel a little chill when I look at "normal" people handle their PIM information.

Something that's fairly common - "**** man, I lost my phone, what's your number again?"
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I think that Palm is betting (and correctly IMO) that people don't have their information organized and stored on something like Outlook/Palm Desktop, but instead have it "scattered" all over the web like on gmail, facebook, myspace, etc. The Pre will be a way to centralize all of that information. For users that do have information on Outlook or Palm Desktop, some use MS Exchange already (like I do). I think that Palm will come up with a solution to "sync" desktops with the cloud like MobileMe or MS Exchange does.
    I think the bet is that allot of users have their contact information in this manner.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think the bet is that allot of users have their contact information in this manner.
    In my day to day work, I spend a *lot* of time with mobile workforces, people just aren't like us. If you don't prescribe how PIM information is kept and stored - oh lordy...

Most people still have a model when information is stored on a phone and never backed up anyway - the phone dies, they look at all the places it's stored and start again...
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    yeah - it's a new platform, oldness is gone. who cares how it used to be - need more detials on how it;s gonna be and the options availbe out of the box.

and agree- more then likleya solution avaible to get data into the cloud
    Remember that Rubinstein is ex-Apple. Apple is famous for sacrificing backwards compatibility for re-invention forward innovation after just a few generations.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    In regards to the Activesync "solution" it's not the solution I'd opt for. Maybe I did't understand how it works, partly 'cause I had no control over how our company implemented it, but once it was implemented all of my personal & work contacts merged into one contact list. Personally I don't like having my personal contacts stored on the company PC.

Recently I decided to try the Blackberry because I was tired of waiting for an alternative and I wanted/needed GPS navigation as well as a phone that was lighted & less bulky than my 755P. I didn't like it & fortunately was able to return it, but theere was no way for me to sync my data to my personal PC at home because the BB was configured for wireless Activesync only. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to come home and not be able to update contact lists on PC.

PALM, I don't always use my wireless device when I'm communicating with other people, and I'm not storing all of my data on Google, Yahoo or Facebook!!

Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    PS... While I think the Pre is awesome and am telling everyone it's the best phone/pda/device out there, please don't force us into the cloud mentality, let us get there at at our own pace.
  11.    #31  
    da Gimp

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    PS... While I think the Pre is awesome and am telling everyone it's the best phone/pda/device out there, please don't force us into the cloud mentality, let us get there at at our own pace.
    Well stated
    There won't be a desktop solution because Palm won't have to worry about the headaches of desktop compatibility with XP, Vista, Vista 64, Mac, etc.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    There won't be a desktop solution because Palm won't have to worry about the headaches of desktop compatibility with XP, Vista, Vista 64, Mac, etc.
    Hmmm .. actually a very good point. No more staffing resources focused on desktop. PIM is part of the phone - not a focal point like w/ a PDA. Why waste good staffing and money on a PIM software for a PC or Mac?
    da Gimp

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I think it is clear that Palm Desktop users will be forced to migrate to something. Palm Desktop, like PalmOS, is a dead product at this point. You might want to start syncing your data to Outlook, it will give you many more options for getting your data into the cloud.
    I went through similar pain going from Lotus Organizer to Palm Desktop..........
    Lotus Notes is popular in the corporate environment. How will I access my Lotus Notes email, contact list, to-do list, and corporate email listing with the Pre?
    Palm Pilot Professional --> TRGPro --> Treo 650 --> Centro (AT&T) + 4 Pixis on Sprint Family Plan
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruneti View Post
    Lotus Notes is popular in the corporate environment. How will I access my Lotus Notes email, contact list, to-do list, and corporate email listing with the Pre?
    Can u currently sync lotus notes w/ a Blackberry over the air?
    da Gimp

Not to be a flame thrower, because I honestly enjoy reading this thread. However, you all realize if Palm would've delayed their announcement of the Pre another week or so, none of this conversation would be unfolding. My point is, give Palm a chance to release the device. It is way to early for any of us to guestimate what may or may not be available/possible.

Seeing the innovation that went into this device, I like my odds that Palm is building/thinking of a solution for my needs to integrate the "old way" to this "new way."

Think about it, if it is too cumbersome or daunting to switch to webOS, then Palm loses. I'm patiently waiting for the release, and unlike most of you, will wait approximately 1 month before I pull the trigger (so I can listen and learn from those that 'need' this device on day 1).

Regardless, I think Palm has listened to the consumer and is banking on increased market shares by catering to us and our needs. Even if an immediate solution is not available for a particular user, the majority of us (outlook, PIM, etc.) will be thought of. I'm also certain data privacy will be a huge interest item being addressed if all our data is in fact stored "on the web."

Cosmo
    I'm willing to bet that there will be some desktop sync solution at launch to get your PIM info onto the device.
    I think that what will be provided is a one-off way of importing your current PIM data to the Pre, but not to subsequently maintain synchronisation with data on your PC.
  20.    #40  
    Cosmo - 1 point we agree another we don;t

Ur right Palm in time will explain everything - we just want them to move up there schedule.

However, ur suggestion that palm "thinking of a solution for my needs to integrate the "old way" to this "new way." mention in one of the threads: the new management at palm has a track record (as seen @ apple) to choose innovation of backward compatibility .
    da Gimp

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast