Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Mobile Me is the best thing about the iPhone imho. That is why I own the iPhone. It lets me keep my customers and calendar with me always. Without Mobile Me, most any other phone would do.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    So far I've looked at Gmail, Yahoo Mail, and MobileMe.

Since I don't use Exchange, I'm looking for another email, address, and calendar sync.

Gmail's address book is a no go. It has a single name field - no first name middle name, last name. I don't want to use that as my main address book sync, it would mangle all the names in my address book. Gmail does not have categories in the address book. You wind up with a huge (in my case) of undifferentiated contacts. Not good.

Yahoo Mail has first name, middle name, and last name. It does not have IMAP, so that's a problem. I could probably live with that on a Pre. Is not giving me full sync on my Treo at present. Yahoo Mail even syncs with Macs thru a built-in option in the Mac Address Book. Yahoo Mail has no address categories either. Not good.

MobileMe has it all. It even syncs with Mac and Windows. It even keeps your address categories. It is not usable on my Treo since Blazer is not supported.

So far, MobileMe is looking like their ad says "Exchange for the rest of us".
    Last edited by TomD; 01/23/2009 at 04:50 PM.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post

Since I don't use Exchange, I'm looking for another email, address, and calendar sync.

Gmail's address book is a no go. It has a single name field - no first name middle name, last name. I don't want to use that as my main address book sync, it would mange all the names in my address book. Gmail does not have categories in the address book. You wind up with a huge (in my case) of undifferentiated contacts. Not good.

Yahoo Mail has first name, middle name, and last name. It does not have IMAP, so that's a problem. I could probably live with that on a Pre. Is not giving me full sync on my Treo at present. Yahoo Mail even syncs with Macs thru a built-in option in the Mac Address Book. Yahoo Mail has no address categories either. Not good.

MobileMe has it all. It even syncs with Mac and Windows. It even keeps your address categories. It is not usable on my Treo since Blazer is not supported.

So far, MobileMe is looking like their ad says "Exchange for the rest of us".
    By the time the Pre comes out, Windows Live may outdo all of those. They will have calendar with tasks and full contacts. Plus, you will be able to sync it with Outlook using Outlook Connector.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    By the time the Pre comes out, Windows Live may outdo all of those. They will have calendar with tasks and full contacts. Plus, you will be able to sync it with Outlook using Outlook Connector.
    I read that Live will be probably out after Snow Leopard.
    Tom
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Actually, Live is out right now. I have a Live account with calendars. I am able to sync them with Outlook right now using Outlook Connector. I just haven't moved my important information over to Live yet, because my WinMo phone only has Activesync. So, for the most part, it does outdo all of those right now. I understated it because the Live calendar app is still in beta.
    Hello everybody,

I'm new here! Since I saw the introduction video of the Palm Pre I want one! I'm currently an iPhone owner, but the Pre really has to offer a lot more than the iPhone has at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by davidlw View Post
    Mobile Me is the best thing about the iPhone imho. That is why I own the iPhone. It lets me keep my customers and calendar with me always. Without Mobile Me, most any other phone would do.
    For me this is the same reason why I have an iPhone. Is there a chance that Palm will implement this or is there a way to reach them so we could ask the question directly to them (as a sort of feature request?). A combination with MobileMe would be the last step for me, Pre is really a fantastic product and it has a big chance to become "the iPhone" killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    Any idea about notes?

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I'm not subscribed to MobileMe so I am curious on how it works. Especially with the Pre. Maybe I will subscribe once the Pre arrives. Depending on how they both work together.
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I believe it would support it out of the box.

MobileMe email is Imap based - so is Gmail, Gmail is on the Pre -- covered.
    MobileMe calendar (iCal) is WebCal - Google calendar can do this as well.
    The only thing would be address book. The Pre works with Google and exchange, I'm not sure what MobileMe is using.

For a Mac user you should look into Spanning Sync - Sync iCal and Google Calendar, if you don't use the webserver or sync drive functions. It will let you use google instead of MobileMe for iCal and address book. You can already do email, it's just a config. Pay them once, or pay apple $99/year. It's what Apple doesn't want you to figure out.
    See now THIS sounds like a solution. Thanks a lot!
    The mac discussion has me thinking. I use my ipod touch now for all my music via itunes and I love the aps. I am really hoping that a similar ap store comes out as is being hinted so I can have as much fun with the pre.

Anyway, my question:

Is there an easy way that I will be able to convert my itunes library for use on my pre?
    you won't need to convert your itunes library. The format they are in will play fine on the Pre (unless you have any DRM'd music. Even then you can now unlock that through iTunes for an upgrade fee).
    I tried the instructions here:

Can I sync with Apple iCal? - Yahoo! Calendar

I get an error message no matter what, anyone else have problems???
    I'm hoping email domains hosted by GMail will recieve the same benefits as regular GMail accounts will. Is it only GMail that will work with the cloud or any imap account will?
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    I'm hoping email domains hosted by GMail will recieve the same benefits as regular GMail accounts will. Is it only GMail that will work with the cloud or any imap account will?
    Should be any IMAP account.
    Tom
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    If MobileMe does not sync address and calendar with Pre, then next best solution looks like Yahoo for address and Gmail for calendar.

Around June, Mac users will be able to use Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) to sync Mail, Address Book, and iCal with Pre using Exchange.

Email syncing is not a problem with just about any POP/IMAP email system.
    Tom
    Around June, Mac users will be able to use Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) to sync Mail, Address Book, and iCal with Pre using Exchange.
    Mail.app and Address Book.app already work/sync with Exchange.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwojo23 View Post
    I tried the instructions here:

Can I sync with Apple iCal? - Yahoo! Calendar

I get an error message no matter what, anyone else have problems???
    Same problem here.
    Tom

Gmail's address book is a no go. It has a single name field - no first name middle name, last name. I don't want to use that as my main address book sync, it would mangle all the names in my address book. Gmail does not have categories in the address book. You wind up with a huge (in my case) of undifferentiated contacts. Not good.
    I'm syncing my Palm Desktop to Google Calendar and Contacts. While the Google contact list doesn't have categories, it does have Groups, and the sync software I'm using (CompanionLink) maps PalmOS categories to Google Contacts Groups. Changes on either platform get correctly placed in the proper category/group on the other. No problem there.

Your comment about the single name field is accurate, although I've had only a small handful of mangled contacts, so in practice it's maybe not as bad as you might think, although definitely an area they could improve.
    Last edited by dwhitman; 02/07/2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Got the name wrong on Google. It's "groups" not "tags".
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Mail.app and Address Book.app already work/sync with Exchange.
    True marcol,

My problem is I don't have access to an Exchange server.

What would be nice is Snow Leopard acting as an Exchange server for the Pre.
    Tom
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    MobileMe is great because it syncs your desktop computers--calendars, contacts, bookmarks and other features too. Email is IMAP.

I just want to be able to seamlessly integrate the Pre into the MobileMe architecture. I hope Palm & Apple make that happen, though I am not sure what needs to happen for that to be a reality.

Eagerly awaiting the GSM Pre,

aviduser
    1995- Newton Message Pad 2000
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    2008- Another Treo 680 (wc) (unlocked)