Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1.    #1  
    Here is what I am thinking, if the PRE requires data to pull information for us to use the phone, how will it work when sprint service is next to the worst available.
  2. #3  
    I'm more concerned about third-party app syncing and data security.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  3.    #4  
    I have a data card from sprint , and the problem isnt that they arent fast, the problem is that their service when coupled with a phone tends to lose data coverage.

    My blackberry, old treo, and even my data card have multiple times where the data stops syncing and connecting.
  4. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by princealyy View Post
    I have a data card from sprint , and the problem isnt that they arent fast, the problem is that their service when coupled with a phone tends to lose data coverage.

    My blackberry, old treo, and even my data card have multiple times where the data stops syncing and connecting.
    Hmm. I've had Sprint for 5 years in two different areas and haven't had that issue. Maybe its just where you're located.
  5.    #6  
    Could be, I have had so many problems with sprint, honestly called to cancel service, and saw the Pre and decided to wait, we spend between 400-700 a month, and their billing is NEVER right! Will see if the pre makes it worth the wait.
  6.    #7  
    Just read my own signature, i am a sell out i have an iPhone.... LOL
  7. gjlowe's Avatar
    Posts
    279 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    #8  
    I have been a Sprint customer for 10 years, have had data for as long as they have offered it, and can say that I have never had a problem. I have also lived in multiple locations. I have had EVDO for the last 2 years and have found it to be totally acceptable for all of my music/video streaming, web browsing, and email, so I don't anticipate the Pre experience to be limited at all by the network.
  8. DavidJ's Avatar
    Posts
    249 Posts
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by princealyy View Post
    Here is what I am thinking, if the PRE requires data to pull information for us to use the phone, how will it work when sprint service is next to the worst available.
    Sprint is not next to the worst, they have a great network as verified by users and independent testing. I know of many people that have left Sprint to go to another provider and ended up wishing they hadn't.

    I acknowledge Sprints customer service has has been terrible but Sprint has been turning that around this past year as well. The biggest battle Sprint now has is changing the perception people have of them.

    Remember *ALL* carriers have their "dead zones" and problem area's to deal with.

    Tell me where else your gonna get as good of a deal as their $99.00 all you can eat deal?
  9. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post
    I have been a Sprint customer for 10 years, have had data for as long as they have offered it, and can say that I have never had a problem. I have also lived in multiple locations. I have had EVDO for the last 2 years and have found it to be totally acceptable for all of my music/video streaming, web browsing, and email, so I don't anticipate the Pre experience to be limited at all by the network.
    I'd have to agree. I've also had sprint for over 10 years and they were the first operator to be true 3G. They have always been fast speeds and clear calls. I've tried ATT and the reception is atrocious and the download speeds for their 3G in the context of the iPhone have been compared to a Ferrari on a dirt road. ATT/GSM sucks kids...

    True 3G is offered on a CDMA network like sprint or vzw. But sprint does it just as good and for half the price of vzw.
    Last edited by chymo; 01/11/2009 at 02:46 PM.
  10. #11  
    I've used Sprint from the days when they were Sprint PCS, about 11 years. I have no real issues with their coverage, but there are still places I can't get a signal. In tunnels, in some buildings, in rural areas. And like every carrier, they have dead spots within what are mostly good coverage areas.

    With my Treo, where all data is stored locally and desktop sync is available, I can pretty much always access my critical data, even when out of coverage. With the Pre, I'm not sure that'll be true.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  11. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I've used Sprint from the days when they were Sprint PCS, about 11 years. I have no real issues with their coverage, but there are still places I can't get a signal. In tunnels, in some buildings, in rural areas. And like every carrier, they have dead spots within what are mostly good coverage areas.

    With my Treo, where all data is stored locally and desktop sync is available, I can pretty much always access my critical data, even when out of coverage. With the Pre, I'm not sure that'll be true.
    Except its been said a million times that its a LOCALLY CACHED DATABASE. I'm not sure how much more clear that can be made.
  12. #13  
    I have had Sprint since 1998 (never churned them), have been a solid PalmOS user since 1997. Sprint customer service used to take an hour to get through, but they could often fix things if you had an hour to wait on hold. Now, you can get straight through to service reps, but their actual "service" has gone even further downhill than ever. EXCEPT if you have a plain vanilla question that is covered in the first couple pages of their scripts.

    From readings on consumerist.com, they've apparently outsourced their customer "service" to a script monkey farm where rampant drug abuse, sex in bathrooms and other nefarious acts are common behaviour, and the people who give a darn about the quality of their service won't stick around long. http://consumerist.com/335361/sprint...-on-first-call

    Looking beyond the beating they give you as a customer, Sprint's actual cell service is often pretty decent. You get the occasional echoing sounds, and they're miserable around areas like Cambridge, MA and many others, but much can be overcome with their roaming plan - which uses Verizon and other more reliable carriers (even for data). In my metro area they've usually been pretty solid the past few years.

    I think the changes their new CEO Hesse is making is toward positioning Sprint as a more premium company than they've acted like. However, in doing so they seem to be clamping down hard on the fools who have stuck with them through the years of hell - upselling attempts on EVERY call if we want to "simplify" our bills (read: receive an accurate bill that reflects the plan that was contracted for. Funny how Sprint's "mistakes" on my bills for over 10 years have ALWAYS been in their favor!).

    Predicting if my Sprint bill will be close to accurate in a given month is harder than predicting the weather in 2010.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  13. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post

    From readings on consumerist.com, they've apparently outsourced their customer "service" to a script monkey farm where rampant drug abuse, sex in bathrooms and other nefarious acts are common behaviour, and the people who give a darn about the quality of their service won't stick around long. http://consumerist.com/335361/sprint...-on-first-call
    Keep in mind that Consumerist report is from 2007. In the past year, I've had major improvements every time I've contacted CS.
  14. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Keep in mind that Consumerist report is from 2007. In the past year, I've had major improvements every time I've contacted CS.
    I'll have to admit that their CS can be shaky...

    There are some really good, smart, helpful tech staff willing to help and troubleshoot....

    and they also have to other end of the spectrum as well... stupid, idiotic, and ignant people who really don't give a damn.

    Regardless, I'm usually able to find someone who can help, and if not the retention department will always compensate with minutes or discounts...
  15. #16  
    I've had Sprint service since 1994 and have never had an issue with Sprint, their coverage nor their customer service. As a reward for loyalty they gave me free unlimited data for life about 5 years ago.

    About 3 years ago we moved to an area where my coverage at home was very spotty. Nobody has good coverage here - I see people with cell phones walking around the perimeter or our neighborhood regularly - they all state they do so cause they have no service in their home.

    I called Sprint customer service and complained and they found a solution. After talking to their scripted reps they opened a ticket with their higher support tier. I got a call back within 48 hours and my problem was solved within 20 minutes. They had me update the phone with software they pushed to it and now it works rock solid. I'm not a wireless expert so I don't know what they loaded but it worked. (I am a CS&E major and very technical on the right subjects.)

    I travel frequently and have never had an issue with their coverage in the US. Outside the US is another matter. I just bought a quad-band world phone and buy SIM cards when I travel outside the US.

    Martin
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
  16. #17  
    irrelevant since it just covers 3G bandwidth.
  17. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    irrelevant since it just covers 3G bandwidth.
    move out of the sticks.
  18. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    move out of the sticks.
    I live in Manhattan.
  19. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I live in Manhattan.
    Kansas or NY?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions