Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Your phone is where all your contacts and calendars are and should be.

Sooner or later Palm will provide a way to access and modify your data on your Pre with any browser. So you will have a large screen access to your calendar, contacts, etc.

Syncing with other calendars is possible from Pre, real-time.

Backup of all your data will exist in the cloud.
    I wouldnt say TOTALLY.
    Sure, PIM data on the go is my goal but I'd like a backup solution and have it also consolidated on my desktop.

(I guess I am too 20th Century where my main source of information is NOT on Google/facebook, etc) but on my Desktop computer.)

OS X compatibility is also a concern of mine.

If I have to pay for this Desktop solution, I shall (I really do like Missing Sync).
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    There is usually no need to have any data in two places. (There are exceptions to this, though.)

Some data you use with your PC with your PC applications, that data should lie at your PC.

Some data you need on also on the go (calendar, contacts, etc.) and that data should lie on your phone. You will have large screen access to those things, they are all web apps, remember?
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    There is usually no need to have any data in two places. (There are exceptions to this, though.)

Some data you use with your PC with your PC applications, that data should lie at your PC.

Some data you need on also on the go (calendar, contacts, etc.) and that data should lie on your phone. You will have large screen access to those things, they are all web apps, remember?
    I'm not debating you. I'm just trying to understand your thoughts. Are you suggesting that the calendar and contacts data only be stored on the phone, and that there is or should be a way to access it from the PC when you need to send a contact a letter or schedule a meeting?
    Last edited by MobileBiz; 01/11/2009 at 06:55 AM.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Your phone is where all your contacts and calendars are and should be.
    For me its totally necessary. I have two smart phones and two desktops. The only way to keep them in sync is through desktop sync.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Does the Moderator of this board have some kind of connection with Palm, maybe he or she can do some intel and get these answers.
    ALL data should be in two or more places. Period. By only having it in one place is really saying that you can completely live without that data and you don't care about that data since a single issue(hardware failure, operator mistake, theft) can totally destroy it or make it completely inaccessible to you.

Not everybody lives or works in areas with great coverage. Not everybody has an exchange server. Some of us have a different calednaring/contacts solution that can sync with outlook. If the phone syncs with outlook directly, I can have my phone synced with the companies calendaring server. Otherwise, I have to duplicate everything.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I did not mean backups. The data should normally be in one place, where you access it from. Then there are backups (cloud backups in the case of Pre), but you don't normally access the backup. It is only for emergency purposes, though I do not know how Palm cloud backup system will work.
    I did not mean backups. The data should normally be in one place, where you access it from. Then there are backups (cloud backups in the case of Pre), but you don't normally access the backup. It is only for emergency purposes, though I do not know how Palm cloud backup system will work.
    well even though we kinda know what they are doing about this, but i think the only way to really know is when they finally implement this, and if the way they do it doesnt work for us, hopefully there will be developers who see this need and make it..
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    The data is in one place - the server - the phone is just a mechanism to get to that information. The idea that the information should be on your phone as THE place where the data is stored is completely wrong-headed.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    I did not mean backups. The data should normally be in one place, where you access it from.

This is simply wrong - the data should be accessable in as many places as you need it. My PIM is accessible on my desktop, my phone and the web - because they are just tools to get to the information on my server - the device is unimportant.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Of course your data is accessible from everywhere. But there only need be one place where it is stored.

You think it is the cloud, but it could be the phone as well. The phone is accessible from the cloud.

Do you KNOW how Palm thinks about this?
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Do you KNOW this is how Palm thinks about it?
    Well yeah - haven't you seen any of the multiple videos that are out there, the product spec, everything they have said about the phone?

I don't understand what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Show me something that even hints to the possibility that the main repository of calendar entries is the cloud.
    +1 to the person who said data needs to be in more than one place. If my phone is the only place I have all my contact info, and it gets lost, stolen or damage, I'm SOL.

And, believe it or not, there are places in America where you're not allowed to have a cell phone, and places with no connectivity. The entire world is not connected, yet. I need my data available on my laptop for those situations.

If something happens to my phone, and I'm somewhere without a wi-fi or hardwired connection, the lack of desktop sync means I have no way to access my contact info. That's not an acceptable state of affairs.

However, I do believe there will be ways around this problem. I think Google can sync with MS Outlook on the desktop, can it not? And if there's a demand, someone will be able to create a way to do that.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    +1 to the person who said data needs to be in more than one place. If my phone is the only place I have all my contact info, and it gets lost, stolen or damage, I'm SOL.
    That is what the cloud backup is for, it preserves all your data that you had in your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    And, believe it or not, there are places in America where you're not allowed to have a cell phone, and places with no connectivity. The entire world is not connected, yet. I need my data available on my laptop for those situations.

If something happens to my phone, and I'm somewhere without a wi-fi or hardwired connection, the lack of desktop sync means I have no way to access my contact info. That's not an acceptable state of affairs.
    You do not need connectivity if the data is in your phone. Which one do you practically always have: the phone, the laptop or connectivity? Answer: the phone.
    I'm a LONG time Palm user. Without desk top + desk top sync I'll not get the Pre. Period. Two examples. I drop the Pre and ruin it. Then what? Am I really without all that data until I get another and download from the cloud? (Assuming that works and that all my private stuff has stayed private. Like I am happy about storing my SplashID data on-line!!)
    Second example. I am on my laptop and I reading something on the web. I want to copy and paste a section into a memo on the Pre. How do I do this without a desktop/sync app? I have been waiting and waiting for a new Palm and the Pre looks great-but this version is not for me. And I'd sure like a microSD slot. 8 gig internal is great but I also want Backup Buddy to recover from whatever and also space for whatever. Soon we'll have 32 gig SD cards and I would want one in my Palm. Not a deal breaker for now but next year it would be. I wish I were writing none of this.
    Last edited by mgabel_pi; 01/11/2009 at 09:29 AM.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mgabel_pi View Post
    Second example. I am on my laptop and I reading something on the web. I want to copy and paste a section into a memo on the Pre. How do I do this without a desktop/sync app?
    You open your Pre memo app with your desktop browser and paste the data there?
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    That is what the cloud backup is for, it preserves all your data that you had in your phone.

You do not need connectivity if the data is in your phone. Which one do you practically always have: the phone, the laptop or connectivity? Answer: the phone.
    This is where you miss the point it's not back-up, the cloud is where the information is stored for access - the pre is just another method of access - it's a mechanism not an endpoint.

Watch the launch - the device pulls down data from whatever information sources you provide - Gmail, facebook, outlook are all confirmed at launch. The device then uses a process called synergy to blend all of your contacts together so you have single contacts entries.

It also displays all of your calenders together. All of your pim and calandar information is held locally on the device - if you update one, the change is reflected in the data source. If you change information in one of your data sources, it's changed on the device. But both are just conducts for the information that is stored on servers - be it gmails servers, you own service or a managed exchange server. Your facebook account, your gmail web client, outlook web access, the pre - they are all just methods to access information that off data servers. In the Pre's case, the information is going to also be stored locally (because of connectivity issues) because it doesn't change the general concept, that they are just methods of accessing servers - that's the whole point.

When I sit in my office, I'm not going to go "oh well, I can do my exchange mail off here, it's all I need". I'm going to use my outlook desktop client. That's the point, the user client fits the usage and the data transfer between all of the devices or means of access is transparent.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast