Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the info on a persons PC be part of the cloud. So intuitively there should be a method to access this info from the pre. Therefore there should be some sort of desktop "sync" or "conduit" whatever you want to call it. QED

Who should provide it. now that's a different question altogether. I would say either the provider of the datasource (if it's outlook microsoft) or a third party. It's not palms responsibility to provide a means of obtaining information from every conceivable source, it's their responsibilty merely to provide the ability to do so which they claim they have.

So sorry ttcoupe I would have to disagree with you. It may be unneccesary for you but for many others it's not. The Pre is not the sole repository of all this information it merely gathers the information and shares it's own info with those that it can. You could have 2 pres accessing the exact same cloud. one pre changes the info and bam the otherone is made aware of it. A mathematician might describe the cloud the power set of all the information. The pre is merely a set that contains many of the sets within the power set.

A person can use the Pre as their main access to all their information at once. It' might be the only source. for instance in my case it would most likely will be. My treo is my cloud. I don't do social networking, I don't IM. I do email. Will this change maybe now with the pre I might give those things a shot.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    So Palm just abandons the very thing they've had in place since its inception, their own PIM. That's about the dumbest thing I've heard. I could care less about old palm programs. If they're worthwhile to keep, developers will rewrite for the webOS. They were all updated anyway everytime a new treo was introduced since there were so many compatibility issues with every new model. But Palm's PIM was essentially the basis of its device. And you now say it's quite alright for them to say
    "FU. Find your PIM elsewhere. Our only responsibility is to manage it on the Pre." PD was the alternative so we didn't have to use Outlook or some other 3rd party PIM. But now that the future of cell phones is here, we're abandoning it and leaving you on your own to figure it out and get it on the web. I'm sorry SedahDrol, but that's just a dumb statement.

And I don't want the melding of all my different sources of info. Things I have in my PIM are the things I use for daily life. I don't want facebook or any other social network to combine with it. God forbid I email some obscure high school friend I talk to once in a blue moon something meant for my friends I interact with on a daily basis because my Pre melded too much of my info, and I didn't realize it till it was too late. I hope I can keep separation of that stuff. I don't even want that option to be possible on my phone. I'll access stuff like that from it's own program or website and that's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the info on a persons PC be part of the cloud. So intuitively there should be a method to access this info from the pre. Therefore there should be some sort of desktop "sync" or "conduit" whatever you want to call it. QED

Who should provide it. now that's a different question altogether. I would say either the provider of the datasource (if it's outlook microsoft) or a third party. It's not palms responsibility to provide a means of obtaining information from every conceivable source, it's their responsibilty merely to provide the ability to do so which they claim they have.

So sorry ttcoupe I would have to disagree with you. It may be unneccesary for you but for many others it's not. The Pre is not the sole repository of all this information it merely gathers the information and shares it's own info with those that it can. You could have 2 pres accessing the exact same cloud. one pre changes the info and bam the otherone is made aware of it. A mathematician might describe the cloud the power set of all the information. The pre is merely a set that contains many of the sets within the power set.

A person can use the Pre as their main access to all their information at once. It' might be the only source. for instance in my case it would most likely will be. My treo is my cloud. I don't do social networking, I don't IM. I do email. Will this change maybe now with the pre I might give those things a shot.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    So Palm just abandons the very thing they've had in place since its inception, their own PIM. That's about the dumbest thing I've heard. I could care less about old palm programs. If they're worthwhile to keep, developers will rewrite for the webOS. They were all updated anyway everytime a new treo was introduced since there were so many compatibility issues with every new model. But Palm's PIM was essentially the basis of its device. And you now say it's quite alright for them to say
    "FU. Find your PIM elsewhere. Our only responsibility is to manage it on the Pre." PD was the alternative so we didn't have to use Outlook or some other 3rd party PIM. But now that the future of cell phones is here, we're abandoning it and leaving you on your own to figure it out and get it on the web. I'm sorry SedahDrol, but that's just a dumb statement.

And I don't want the melding of all my different sources of info. Things I have in my PIM are the things I use for daily life. I don't want facebook or any other social network to combine with it. God forbid I email some obscure high school friend I talk to once in a blue moon something meant for my friends I interact with on a daily basis because my Pre melded too much of my info, and I didn't realize it till it was too late. I hope I can keep separation of that stuff. I don't even want that option to be possible on my phone. I'll access stuff like that from it's own program or website and that's it.
    On the contrary, the Pre is the ultimate PIM, it gathers your info, your contacts info from every place it can and presents it to you in the easy to use format. It's like a PIM on steroids.
    The PIM is the device. It's with you almost all the time (except for places that search you and take it away).

So you actually use palm desktop as your PIM not your treo or pilot. When you have to look up a number you go to your computer and look it up and not use your treo/pilot. I'm guessing you use your treo/pilot as your PIM and PD as your backup.

Palm is assuming that most people use other software rather than PD for desktop PIM. In fact they are saying they don't want to deal with a fixed desktop PIM anymore they want their PIM completely mobile.

As far as melding information it only melds friends A info with Friend A, it doesn't meld friend's B info with Friend A.
    Friend A might have a Facebook page and might update their new email address, The pre would then update Friend A's Facebook email address on your Pre. Granted poor programing could cause information to get crossed. User input error could also do the same.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456