Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 103
  1. Rhody's Avatar
    Posts
    703 Posts
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    The problem comes with music sync and backup. You can download music from Amazon alright, but most people use iTunes and their needs to be a way to sync with iTunes.
    I disagree. Palm does not need to conform to Apple just because Apple has a DRM model that people are used to. DRM-free music is the current trend. The music industry is getting used to it. Napster and Amazon are getting used to it. And even Apple is getting used to it, because I believe iTunes sells DRM-free music too. So if you want to use iTunes to put songs on a portable device, then you will either have to use an Apple portable device or buy the DRM-free version of the music. The world does not turn to suit the whims of Apple.
  2. TomD's Avatar
    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I disagree. Palm does not need to conform to Apple just because Apple has a DRM model that people are used to. DRM-free music is the current trend. The music industry is getting used to it. Napster and Amazon are getting used to it. And even Apple is getting used to it, because I believe iTunes sells DRM-free music too. So if you want to use iTunes to put songs on a portable device, then you will either have to use an Apple portable device or buy the DRM-free version of the music. The world does not turn to suit the whims of Apple.
    All my stuff in iTunes is MP3. Since it is my main music Player, I need sync. Most people use iTunes. Just because you don't like Apple doesn't mean there is not a major need here.

    People will not quit using iTunes just to move to a Pre. We will definitely need iTunes sync.
  3. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    All my stuff in iTunes is MP3. Since it is my main music Player, I need sync. Most people use iTunes. Just because you don't like Apple doesn't mean there is not a major need here.

    People will not quit using iTunes just to move to a Pre. We will definitely need iTunes sync.
    Does apple allow non-apple devices to sync to itunes?
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Does apple allow non-apple devices to sync to itunes?
    As mentioned in other threads, there are programs like iTunes Agent that allow generic MP3 players to sync to iTunes. There was a similar Mac program I posted but I can't recall the name. Something like iSyncWalkman or something.
  5. iatricjb's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #85  
    Ok, let me ask the question this way. How do we know or control what data is locally cached?
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by iatricjb View Post
    Ok, let me ask the question this way. How do we know or control what data is locally cached?
    Everything is locally cached, so that you don't have to know about it, think about it, anything.
  7. iatricjb's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #87  
    So if I have a file of 1000 contacts, look at a few online then go offline that all 1000 would be viewable?
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by iatricjb View Post
    So if I have a file of 1000 contacts, look at a few online then go offline that all 1000 would be viewable?
    Well the point of the Pre is its all seamless. You wouldn't have to go look at a few online, you'd have to just go to your contacts list and all of them would be there.
  9. mrkalel's Avatar
    Posts
    739 Posts
    Global Posts
    828 Global Posts
    #89  
    I am truly in love with the design and functions of the Pre so far in what I have seen,

    but coming from a Palm user going on probably over 10 years...

    I def. use the desktop a lot, and even when moving over to WinMo with the 800w, I still use Outlook primarily to input my info...

    I cannot see how a phone can be called 'Smart' without a true desktop conduit and allow for complete information management on that desktop client...

    Like I said I do love this new phone and will probably get it and as well as most of my Family, but I def. need that workable desktop solution...

    And I need it to completely be able to sync at home and at work.

    Another thing is the lack of mem card for purely music and back up purposes is a big problem in my eyes as well...

    Just like many others have said... what happens if your phone completely dies or the radio's die and you cannot get your info up?... that is a nightmare situation...

    I just hope we don't know enough so I am not too worried, but concerned at the moment....
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #90  
    I cannot see how a phone can be called 'Smart' without a true desktop conduit and allow for complete information management on that desktop client...
    Seems the other way to me - how can a phone be smart if it needs a pc?
  11. TomD's Avatar
    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Does apple allow non-apple devices to sync to itunes?
    Sure with third party Missing Sync.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  12. #92  
    I'm fairly tech savvy but have done without outlook and online calendars. I fully understand all the cloud arguments, but just don't truly understand why they would eliminate pc syncing? I keep documents, pictures, music and such on my card. I pop it in an adapter and easily put it on other people's computers or phones. If I break my phone, I pop the card out and put it in the new phone. Is all that going to be "in the cloud"? All the extra stuff outside of my PIM info? And why the heck would I want to use the online stuff if I don't have to? Why would I want to use exchange if I don't have to? It's a lot of assumptions that shouldn't be made. Why alieniate (until 3rd party comes to the rescue) all the people that don't use the internet for PIM info? Just doesn't make sense. In a matter of minutes I took my card from my centro, put it in a new one, restored it and switched phone numbers on them. No cloud, no web, no exchange. Can't get any simpler. Now this new intuitive phone makes keeping track and replacing all my info more difficult.

    I make a few calls and have a bunch of new contacts. I enter it all on my computer, throw in some new photos and some new pricing and product docs. hotsync, and I'm on my way. With this, the PIM info would have to get done in outlook or an online calendar. Then it would have to go to the exchange server, then it would have to get downloaded to my phone. Then I have to figure out how to get the photos and work info on there via some other conduit. Wow, so much easier.

    I'm sorry. I don't buy any of the cloud arguments I've heard here. Sometimes tried and true works better than new tech. While I'm on board with bagging the old OS apps, I'm not on board with losing basic desktop syncing.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  13. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Is all that going to be "in the cloud"? All the extra stuff outside of my PIM info? And why the heck would I want to use the online stuff if I don't have to?
    The device becomes mass storage when you plug it into a pc so that you can sync media.
  14. #94  
    On occasion I snap photos on my 755 that I want emailed out to people or put on a web page. My office manager sends out the mass emails and updates the web page. By far the easiest way is to just pop out the card and she plugs it in to her machine. By the same token today I was trying to email a photo I took straight from my phone to someone and it took 3 tries and it didn't come through for hours.

    Also, as noted by others, the card has made it real easy to switch all of my data apps and things when I broke a phone. I'm sure there will be "cloud" solutions, but how fast and easy will they be?
  15. Rhody's Avatar
    Posts
    703 Posts
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    All my stuff in iTunes is MP3. Since it is my main music Player, I need sync. Most people use iTunes. Just because you don't like Apple doesn't mean there is not a major need here.

    People will not quit using iTunes just to move to a Pre. We will definitely need iTunes sync.
    I resent that you put words in my mouth. I never said that I don't like Apple. That's a staw man if I ever saw one. Completely unnecessary.

    If all your stuff in iTunes is MP3, then there's nothing preventing you from putting it on a Pre, because you won't need "iTunes sync" to copy a MP3 file from your computer to the Pre. I guess I don't understand your point.
  16. DavidJ's Avatar
    Posts
    249 Posts
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    #96  
    Another argument for a desktop Conduit is that entering and editing data on a desktop is so much easier than on a PDA, no matter how smart the PDA is. I can copy & paste contact info a lot quicker on my PC with a 19" LCD and a mouse (or keyboard) than I can on 3.1" PDA. I'm anxiously waiting for the Pre & will probably buy it as soon as it's available, but not having that conduit is going to make me very annoyed :-)
  17. TomD's Avatar
    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    I disagree... I should not have, nor do I want to, trust the "cloud" with my personal PIM information. If & when my device (Pre) fails, I want it backed up on my PC at home. That's why I have a 500GB hard drive, to have MY information backed up on MY PC.
    The Cloud would be a service that has web access - Gmail, etc. Therefore it is accessible from your desktop.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  18. DavidJ's Avatar
    Posts
    249 Posts
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    The Cloud would be a service that has web access - Gmail, etc. Therefore it is accessible from your desktop.
    But I consider accounts on Gmail for example, to be part of the cloud. Short of OTA with my wireless provider, how do my desktop contacts get synced with my Pre?
  19. TomD's Avatar
    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    But I consider accounts on Gmail for example, to be part of the cloud. Short of OTA with my wireless provider, how do my desktop contacts get synced with my Pre?
    If you have access to an exchange server, that would do it. On my Mac contacts can be imported into Gmail contacts, but I see no sync. Hopefully they will give us a way.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  20. #100  
    Gee, no foolin'.

    So when my phone goes down, and I run to a sprint store and get a replacement, where do I get all those files back from? The cloud? no. It doesn't back up media, documents and such. The backup on my card? Wait, there is no card. I have to wait till I can get back to my pc to get all the other non PIM info back onto my phone.

    To quote the great T-Rex in 'Meet the Robinson's', "I'm just not sure how well this plan was thought through."

    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The device becomes mass storage when you plug it into a pc so that you can sync media.
    I think most understand the points you pro cloud people are pointing out. All of which are solutions that just make it more complicated than a basic pc sync. All of which require internet connectivity. All of which require migration from a basic desktop PIM which is all many really need. The only solution that is truly desktop based will cost the user an additional monthly fee in order to sync. So how is something that is supposed to be so intuitive completely the opposite in this case?
    Last edited by crogs571; 01/13/2009 at 12:28 AM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions