Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Please read above.
    I am talking about synch every day data and or backups.
    Dont care what any manufacturer says about their OS being rock solid, but we know better.
    Its flash memory. Regardless of what happens to the OS, the flash memory is still fine.
    have you ever had a PDA die on you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    have you ever had a PDA die on you?
    Sure. But flash memory has only been in use over the past few years or so, so no I haven't had the memory die on me. And you're using two different arguments at the same time. You said that the OS could crash and burn and you'd need to restore from a backup and my response to that was that its flash memory so your data will still be intact.

Now your argument is about the device dying entirely or breaking, and that's much different. This all is absolutely ridiculous anyway. They've said when you plug the phone into the computer, you can see the device as a drive. Copy and paste the data into the computer, and you're all backed up anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    The Pre has a huge 8gb.... If you do not need desktop syncing then you can use the Pre as a PDA handheld

Why is this so hard to comprehend?
    8GB isn't huge. My creaky old Centro has a 4GB SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    As times change the programs must be updated to play... Its up to developers to upgrage their software or not...

Sucks but either that or stick with Palm OS....this is Nova OS
    Or move to Windows Mobile. Its the only other platform Pocket Quicken is available for.
    To all those afraid of storing data on the cloud:

Currently I have web access from any PC to my small business banking, personal banking, 401k, investments, medical history, business email, personal email, travel plans and much more. I suspect that most of you have all this too.

What reasonable business does not have web access or Outlook Web access to email and other data, or access directly in through HTTPS or VPN?

Cloud data storage just means that the data is stored on a machine connected to the internet. The machine could be your PC, your company's servers, your bank servers, or even your Pre!
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    If you watch the 25 min demo, you notice some pauses. If you listen to the speech about the contacts, he says that you are looking at the contacts on the host systems. This implies that no contacts are stored on the device and that everything is looked up real time. While this is nice, its not always what you want. As this thread implies, there is no sync which seems to confirm this. Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The data is in one place - the server - the phone is just a mechanism to get to that information. The idea that the information should be on your phone as THE place where the data is stored is completely wrong-headed.
    Well, call me wrong headed because I go to places where no CDMA, Wifi, or GSM data service is available and I still need the information (PIM, wallet files, MS Project data via Pocket Plan) contained on my phone. Not everyone lives the lifestyle you do so you should not assume that something that works for you should be universal.

"The Cloud" doesn't have 100% availability everywhere but I insist on 100% availability of the data on my phone.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post

"The Cloud" doesn't have 100% availability everywhere but I insist on 100% availability of the data on my phone.
    Which you'd have with the device because of local caching..

Let's go around again, maybe we'll turn back the hands of time.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    What if you visit an area with phone service but no data service and want to look up a contact? Doesn't this model fail? If so, then this convinces me that the synced iphone is the right model.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iatricjb View Post
    What if you visit an area with phone service but no data service and want to look up a contact? Doesn't this model fail? If so, then this convinces me that the synced iphone is the right model.

Then em.. you'd look up the contact on the phone? Why do people persist with this idea that the phone goes blank as soon as you lose connectivity. Palm are doing some radical here but they aren't crazy, this isn't a dumb terminal...
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    Your phone is where all your contacts and calendars are and should be.

Sooner or later Palm will provide a way to access and modify your data on your Pre with any browser. So you will have a large screen access to your calendar, contacts, etc.

Syncing with other calendars is possible from Pre, real-time.

Backup of all your data will exist in the cloud.

I disagree... I should not have, nor do I want to, trust the "cloud" with my personal PIM information. If & when my device (Pre) fails, I want it backed up on my PC at home. That's why I have a 500GB hard drive, to have MY information backed up on MY PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson View Post
    To all those afraid of storing data on the cloud:

Currently I have web access from any PC to my small business banking, personal banking, 401k, investments, medical history, business email, personal email, travel plans and much more. I suspect that most of you have all this too.

What reasonable business does not have web access or Outlook Web access to email and other data, or access directly in through HTTPS or VPN?

Cloud data storage just means that the data is stored on a machine connected to the internet. The machine could be your PC, your company's servers, your bank servers, or even your Pre!
    My problem isn't I don't understand how it works...it is I do understand how it works. There are security breaches all the time. My pc is firewalled so even I can not access it from outside my home. In addition, it's usually off when I'm not home. If I'm away for a few days, the router goes down too.

I am not responsible for my employer's or my banks security...they are and they must accept the losses for a breach as long as I follow good practices.

Maybe you spend your entire life under WiFi and cellular data coverage but I don't so having basic information available even if I don't have phone service is best for me.

If this is the way you want to work, it's great but thin client and cloud environments have shortcomings that I'll avoid when possible.
    Last edited by pgh1969pa; 01/12/2009 at 11:31 AM.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Are you sure CGK? The demo guys clearly says that when you look up a contact that you are looking at it on the host server? If not, then were's the sync process?
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iatricjb View Post
    Are you sure CGK? The demo guys clearly says that when you look up a contact that you are looking at it on the host server? If not, then were's the sync process?

He was looking at an exchange global address book, something you wouldn't pull down to the phone, that was the context of that. As for the rest of it:

where the device queries multiple services for state that it then caches locally, before invisibly propagating any changes back out to the cloud.
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-the-cord.html
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Ok but what does this imply about a large contact list of 1000 names? Will it only cache the sections I view or will it cache them all the first time I visit it?
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Then em.. you'd look up the contact on the phone? Why do people persist with this idea that the phone goes blank as soon as you lose connectivity. Palm are doing some radical here but they aren't crazy, this isn't a dumb terminal...
    I think you've written the same answer to this question about 100 times. You have great patience. I think a good analogy is this is IMAP for your contacts/calendar/whatever else is connecting to the cloud. As soon as the data changes in one place, it is automatically updated in the other places, but it is all stored on a server somewhere, in the cloud.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Syncing for email, calendar, contacts can be over the air and pretty straight forward. Just use and Outlook server for work, Gmail, etc for other email. Your PC or Mac can sync with those online services just fine. That makes your desktop and your Pre pretty well synced.

The problem comes with music sync and backup. You can download music from Amazon alright, but most people use iTunes and their needs to be a way to sync with iTunes.

Since we have USB connectivity iTunes and backups may have to use that.

It would be nice to be able to sync wirelessly for everything.

It will be interesting to see what the file system looks like from the desktop side. When you plug Pre in, it will look like another USB drive.

That brings up another question.

Will Pre have a file browser?
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    What we will need is a detailed procedure for migrating from our present Treos, etc to the Pre.

This probably won't be trivial. We can get a head start now by starting to set up Gmail etc accounts to sync our present stuff with. Then at least that will be done when the Pre arrives.

I'm on a Mac and Google has a link to CalDAV to sync iCal to Google Calendar.

Gmail is easy to setup in Mac Mail.

Syncing Address Books may be more problematic. On Mac there is a utility to move a Mac Address Book to Gmail's address book. I don't see a sync mechanism.

Incidentally I haven't used the Palm desktop for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    What we will need is a detailed procedure for migrating from our present Treos, etc to the Pre.

This probably won't be trivial. We can get a head start now by starting to set up Gmail etc accounts to sync our present stuff with. Then at least that will be done when the Pre arrives. . . .

Incidentally I haven't used the Palm desktop for years.
    That is ALL I have used since the 650 came out. I am not so concerned with HOW the cloud works, but rather will I be able to access a ToDo (i.e., Tasks) list, Calendar, Contacts, Memos. etc from BOTH my Pre and my pc WITHOUT any extra fees?? And if I can, I need to decide if it is even worth my time to switch everything over.

I honestly would not even know where to begin to do this, and I've always considered myself to have better-than-average tech know-how. Slap!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast