Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    IMHO, you guys should not worry. I believe that there will be solutions to all the common situations.

And the most basic solution is that your contacts and calendar data is in your phone and that you can access it from other, larger screen devices when necessary.
    You really don't understand cloud computing.
    Dudes the info will sync when there is an active connection... When nosignal is aquired, it will locally cache to the hard drive and will sync when data is active

Meyer, do you know how an exchange server works? This is the same concept

OTA sync is the best (that is if your corporate enviroment allows it)
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I finally got a chance to listen to the post-launch video on linked from TC's home page. The demonstartor says something which gives me pause: He says, about 9+ minutes in, that you're NOT looking at a copy of data that's been synced to the Pre, but to the actual data on the web source.

If that's the case, then what do you do when you're out of range of a signal. This happens to me fairly regularly. Some of the buildings I work in prevent a good signal from coming through. There are large rural areas of the country where Sprint has no signal at all. And, of course, on an airplane I can't be connected.

Did Palm really screw the pooch that badly on this? I cetainly hope not. And I don't really think so. Somewhere else I've read that all the locally stored data is in a SQL database, so hopefully contacts, calendar events, emails, etc really are stored on the device, too.

But that's NOT what is said in the video.
    It creates a local cache. It's been said a million different places.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I finally got a chance to listen to the post-launch video on linked from TC's home page. The demonstartor says something which gives me pause: He says, about 9+ minutes in, that you're NOT looking at a copy of data that's been synced to the Pre, but to the actual data on the web source.

ewe . . . then that would make the Pre a new version of the dumb terminal (don't remember the offical term for a computer that doesn't do anything but display).

This would make more sense becuase after palm essentially scrapped the foleo OS and Cobalt, I could not see how they could have developed a new OS, and now the more we learn the more we see they did not develop a new OS, but just an interface while other "cloud" programs do the computing and programming power.
    There's no reason why the Pre has to be an 'access' only device as CGK asserts. Email clients have the capability to download emails and contacts over IMAP for offline use. That means the Pre could do the same. That would allow it to function when it isn't connected to the internet. And if it can do that, that means it can function even if its NEVER connected to cloud services so it could work in OracleBlue's situation too.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I agree with you, NDPTAL85.

Palm has said it wants to make modern day Personal Computers, which will become the centers of our lives. Not some dummy terminals.
    http://arstechnica.com/journals/hard...e-pre-ces-2009

(At this point, Matt and I veered off into a discussion of how the webOS handles state—how it invisibly propagates changes to locally cached data out to the cloud without any prompting from the user. But I'm saving this bit for a second, more in-depth write-up on this topic because it's so important.)
    Locally cached data, as I said.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85 View Post
    There's no reason why the Pre has to be an 'access' only device as CGK asserts. Email clients have the capability to download emails and contacts over IMAP for offline use.

Except for never having said that - completely correct, well in that you are completely wrong. Seriously, there seems to be about 4 people here who understand cloud computing and that the fact is that those of us who are talking about it are not saying that nothing will ever be on the device, neither are we saying that emails cannot be on the device to work when there is no connectivity.

Someone want to do a thread explaining it - I can't be arsed and it's get pretty boring having people go on and on about why X sucks when they don't actually understand what they are talking about.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Essentially, cloud computing means that there is data repository (and/or computing power) on the cloud.

Do you, CGK, think that it is a requirement for a Pre user to have online PIM service somewhere (myPalm, Google, Facebook, etc.)?
    Essentially, cloud computing means that there is data repository (and/or computing power) on the cloud.

Do you, CGK, think that it is a requirement for a Pre user to have online PIM service somewhere (myPalm, Google, Facebook, etc.)?

The Pre has a huge 8gb.... If you do not need desktop syncing then you can use the Pre as a PDA handheld

Why is this so hard to comprehend?
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts

Yes - but that does not preclude local cached versions as people here seem to think. It also doesn't not preclude additional services such as pop3 being used on the device (and pop3 is supported) and that data only being on the device - but pop3 usage is atypical of the design model, not typical.

* Does that also mean that someone couldn't develop a desktop sync? no it doesn't - but palm clearly isn't interested in doing that - it doesn't fit the device paradigm.

* Does that mean that everyone has to get an exchange server? no - it means that either you will have to get exchange or move to one of the other supported services.

* Is it my guess that Palm is going to complete the circle by providing an online desktop that you will pay a yearly subscribition for? yes (see my other thread).
    So, no desktop sync, everything syncs through the "cloud"?

Beyond the problems inherent in exposing sensitive PIM business and personal data to hackers on the 'net, how will I sync up ALL of my data to Quicken as I've been able to since 1997 via the PalmOS? Qmate and Pocket Quicken.

How about syncing up Automobile data as I've been able to since 1997: Kar Kare and Tealauto?

And a few other apps like Comet, Secret, CallRec, etc? Will we all have to purchase server space along with our "Pres" in order to have anything beyond PIMs and games running, along with web browsing and email?

I know there's a lot of excitement over this phone, but there are very real questions about whether or not it's a step forward in eye candy and several steps back in real functionality. I didn't spend all the money over the years keeping my Palms and licenses current just to see the whole reason to have a Palm decimated by turning it into an iPhone clone.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    So, no desktop sync, everything syncs through the "cloud"?

Beyond the problems inherent in exposing sensitive PIM business and personal data to hackers on the 'net, how will I sync up ALL of my data to Quicken as I've been able to since 1997 via the PalmOS? Qmate and Pocket Quicken.

Nobody had any answers - I would guess those companies might develop desktop apps or... move you to the web and charge you a yearly fee (Quicken is already online as is SplashID).
    As times change the programs must be updated to play... Its up to developers to upgrage their software or not...

Sucks but either that or stick with Palm OS....this is Nova OS
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I used to have a Treo with VZ and it synced wirelessly to my desktop. Was it going thru Verizons servers or what, why can't Pre work the same way?
    I wonder how long until we start seeing people filing wrongful termination lawsuits because they put their companies data out into the cloud without the company's approval or (most probably) against company policy.
    I do not use my Treo 700P for big business, but rather for my personal use. I do currently use Hotsync to keep my Outlook data(contacts and calendar mainly) synced with my Treo and my desktop pc. I also use DTG to maintain some documents to be available for consult from my phone when I am on the go, but almost all of the entry is done on the PC. I also use an expense program on the Treo that I "sync" the info to the pc to create reports.
    How will I use the Pre for all of this? Or, should I go for the Pro?
    To all the above posters:
    There are a whole bunch of other folks who really dont care about PIMs or contacts or tasks....
    Some of us, for eg., do medical billing and coding with patient info on our Treos. I dont think the transmission to "cloud" will be compliant with the Nazis looking over our shoulders. How would you like it if I were to put your personal info on a cloud? Plus we use it to download labs and other sensitive reports that CANNOT be compromised.
    I think the medical community will say tata...
    Also there being no expansion card to do incremental backups....
    There are a LOT of folks who really dont give a F888 about gmail or facebooks or music or whatever rules your simple life.
    Sorry, but when you come out and say synch is UNNECESSARY ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    To all the above posters:
    There are a whole bunch of other folks who really dont care about PIMs or contacts or tasks....
    Some of us, for eg., do medical billing and coding with patient info on our Treos. I dont think the transmission to "cloud" will be compliant with the Nazis looking over our shoulders. How would you like it if I were to put your personal info on a cloud? Plus we use it to download labs and other sensitive reports that CANNOT be compromised.
    I think the medical community will say tata...
    Also there being no expansion card to do incremental backups....
    There are a LOT of folks who really dont give a F888 about gmail or facebooks or music or whatever rules your simple life.
    Sorry, but when you come out and say synch is UNNECESSARY ???
    Not all applications have to be on the Cloud. You can keep your medical applications on the Pre's 8GB as long as the developers port the apps. I don't see whats a huge deal about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I don't see whats a huge deal about this.

Please read above.
    I am talking about synch every day data and or backups.
    Dont care what any manufacturer says about their OS being rock solid, but we know better.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast