Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 75
  1.    #1  
    can outlook users (who don't want to or will not use exhange) be able to sync the Pre to their PC outlook using a cord or bluetooth. I want it supported by Palm out of the box.

    if not . . . this is too "new" for me.

    In my case, palm needs to answer this question quickly and definitively.
  2. #2  
    People are making much too big of a deal about this. Let's wait until the device is actually out before making a huge fuss about it, because until then, we have no idea.

    I've seen a million different posts on many different threads about people concerned about this and for all we know Palm has an unannounced solution for it. There's still a couple months before its released, let's wait and see.
  3. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    because until then, we have no idea.
    Yeah we do, Palm reps have said that it doesn't do desktop PIM sync.

    I've seen a million different posts on many different threads about people concerned about this and for all we know Palm has an unannounced solution for it.
    Then it's odd that the phone spec explicitly states that you need an exchange server to sync outlook. Palm aren't going to develop desktop sync for this as it breaks the concept - that the data lives on the web and no pc is needed.
  4. davidlw's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    #4  
    I was thinking that if you could export your Outlook calendar and contacts to the built-in Palm calendar and contacts then you would be able to sync that to Gmail. Maybe this would work. Smart Palm folks please get answers for us.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlw View Post
    I was thinking that if you could export your Outlook calendar and contacts to the built-in Palm calendar and contacts then you would be able to sync that to Gmail. Maybe this would work. Smart Palm folks please get answers for us.
    That would be too much work.

    I use Microsoft Exchange, so I don't really care what palm does with sync.

    I can see how the OPs concern is a legitimate concern for some though... palm will have to figure this out somehow.

    Then again, we may all be jumping the gun a bit as well...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  6. #6  
    This not syncing for Outlook not to mention SplashID is a mess. I'm hoping a 3rd app will do it.
    I just don't like putting my personal info out there.
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 01/16/2009 at 09:59 PM.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  7. ttcoupe's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    #7  
    Your data is not "out there". It is in your Pre.

    That is how I suppose Palm sees it.
  8. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    Your data is not "out there". It is in your Pre.

    That is how I suppose Palm sees it.

    But it's data that constantly pulling and pushing from whatever data sources you provide it with it. The phone is the conduit, it's not the endpoint.
  9. #9  
    Someone has to provide desktop sync, in one form or another. Palm seems to believe that the "cloud" is available everywhere, all the time. That's simply not true. There are still many places with no connectivity at all, and if I don't have my phone with me (or it gets broken), I'm supposed to wait until I get somewhere with a wi-fi connection to access my contacts and calendar? That's just idiotic.

    As impressed as I am with this device, lack of desktop sync is an incredibly shortsighted mistake.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Someone has to provide desktop sync, in one form or another. Palm seems to believe that the "cloud" is available everywhere, all the time. That's simply not true. There are still many places with no connectivity at all, and if I don't have my phone with me (or it gets broken), I'm supposed to wait until I get somewhere with a wi-fi connection to access my contacts and calendar? That's just idiotic.

    As impressed as I am with this device, lack of desktop sync is an incredibly shortsighted mistake.

    If you use outlook - that would be available locally on your device (well as long as you pay for exchange...). If not... I can't quite see why you'd be carrying your laptop and not your phone... as for the broken, well most people don't carry around their laptop and would be stuck anyway.

    The thing is - this is a consumer device, it's not a business device.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    People are making much too big of a deal about this. Let's wait until the device is actually out before making a huge fuss about it, because until then, we have no idea.

    I've seen a million different posts on many different threads about people concerned about this and for all we know Palm has an unannounced solution for it. There's still a couple months before its released, let's wait and see.
    I highly doubt it is a couple months before it is released. If you look at past history, once Palm shows a new phone on their home page, they release it within a week or two. Also, if you go to usatoday.com, there is a Pre/Sprint ad right on the home page, where you can get info about the new phone and sign up to be the first to pre order it, by getting an email the minute it is available. I bet you we are a week or two at most from them allowing pre-orders. To not clear up such an important thing as how we will get access to our data (our lives), they are shooting themselves in the foot and taking away a lot of the excitement about the device.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    If you use outlook - that would be available locally on your device (well as long as you pay for exchange...). If not... I can't quite see why you'd be carrying your laptop and not your phone... as for the broken, well most people don't carry around their laptop and would be stuck anyway.

    The thing is - this is a consumer device, it's not a business device.
    "it's a consumer device and not a business device", and yet they apparently require Exchange (a corporate solution)???? Doesn't add up...
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    I highly doubt it is a couple months before it is released. If you look at past history, once Palm shows a new phone on their home page, they release it within a week or two. Also, if you go to usatoday.com, there is a Pre/Sprint ad right on the home page, where you can get info about the new phone and sign up to be the first to pre order it, by getting an email the minute it is available. I bet you we are a week or two at most from them allowing pre-orders. To not clear up such an important thing as how we will get access to our data (our lives), they are shooting themselves in the foot and taking away a lot of the excitement about the device.
    Its also been said on some podcast (Engadget's I believe, maybe the one here) though that a lot of Palm engineers didn't want to show everything yet, because some things they felt were in a pre-beta state. It also doesn't even have FCC certification yet (there'd be no reason to hide it in the database after the device has been revealed). I'd say mid-February would be the earliest we'll see this with the likely release date being March.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    "it's a consumer device and not a business device", and yet they apparently require Exchange (a corporate solution)???? Doesn't add up...
    Its a device for wealthy consumers who don't like to travel outside the US .
  15. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    "it's a consumer device and not a business device", and yet they apparently require Exchange (a corporate solution)???? Doesn't add up...

    maybe palm plan to provide it.. (or something similar) for a cost..

    The cost of having exchange seems to be no more expensive that mobileme (which is $99 a year)
  16. #16  
    ...is the term that they like to use.

    the Pre is for folks who do want a bit more from their phone, but don't necessarily want a blackberry...those people who lined up for the Iphoney and the rest of the smartphone wannabes. Why do you think that BB came out with the Pearl? Samsung with the Instinct? They know that there is a trend and are trying to cash in...With the Pre, I think that Palm has taken those things that the leaders of market share in the smartphone market excel at and added their Zen, plus more innovation.

    y'all have to remember, Palm is not trying to compete directly with the business market users that go for Winmob (they got the Treo Pro for that) or the crackberry...they want to chew up what they think is the fat middle. I'm not all there with them, because I think that there are a good number of folks who won't go for something that looks too complex and geeky and rather want a dumbphone that looks hot (ie the Iphone). But there is also a segment of this "fat middle" that wants more out of their $200+24 months of ARPU investment. This is where I think the Pre will be successful, unlike the Centro that is still a Treo anyway you see it, the Pre is clean, sleek and smaller than the rest and it still does a lot of cool stuff. So if there is a fat middle, this phone is a solid device to get at this said middle.
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
  17. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by nitido357 View Post
    ...is the term that they like to use.

    the Pre is for folks who do want a bit more from their phone, but don't necessarily want a blackberry...those people who lined up for the Iphoney and the rest of the smartphone wannabes. Why do you think that BB came out with the Pearl? Samsung with the Instinct? They know that there is a trend and are trying to cash in...With the Pre, I think that Palm has taken those things that the leaders of market share in the smartphone market excel at and added their Zen, plus more innovation.

    y'all have to remember, Palm is not trying to compete directly with the business market users that go for Winmob (they got the Treo Pro for that) or the crackberry...they want to chew up what they think is the fat middle. I'm not all there with them, because I think that there are a good number of folks who won't go for something that looks too complex and geeky and rather want a dumbphone that looks hot (ie the Iphone). But there is also a segment of this "fat middle" that wants more out of their $200+24 months of ARPU investment. This is where I think the Pre will be successful, unlike the Centro that is still a Treo anyway you see it, the Pre is clean, sleek and smaller than the rest and it still does a lot of cool stuff. So if there is a fat middle, this phone is a solid device to get at this said middle.
    Pretty much - I'm a prosumer - I use my devices for business but that's for email and information - I have no intention of editing spreadsheets, word documents etc etc. This is what I think a lot of the palm OS people have problems with - Palm OS was about producitivity, this is about presence and social networking...
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    maybe palm plan to provide it.. (or something similar) for a cost..

    The cost of having exchange seems to be no more expensive that mobileme (which is $99 a year)
    Except for most of you guys who keep talking about adding Exchange have not really purchased Exchange. You're just paying a small monthly fee to outsource your Exchange needs by renting a service that has Exchange. This is not the same as a business purchasing Exchange for their server. You have to forward mail to another address that is checked by the rented Exchange service, etc. It isn't the same as owning your own Exchange server, so it is a bit misleading to not make a big deal out of the fact that it appears that corporate users are going to need to have Exchange server (which is very expensive).
  19. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    so it is a bit misleading to not make a big deal out of the fact that it appears that corporate users are going to need to have Exchange server (which is very expensive).
    Well yes but... if you want a corporate device get a Treo Pro - this is a prosumer device.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Except for most of you guys who keep talking about adding Exchange have not really purchased Exchange. You're just paying a small monthly fee to outsource your Exchange needs by renting a service that has Exchange. This is not the same as a business purchasing Exchange for their server. You have to forward mail to another address that is checked by the rented Exchange service, etc. It isn't the same as owning your own Exchange server, so it is a bit misleading to not make a big deal out of the fact that it appears that corporate users are going to need to have Exchange server (which is very expensive).
    Every company I've ever worked at has had Exchange server and a Blackberry setup too. Maybe it might be a problem for really small companies but I'd imagine this wouldn't be a problem for most.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions