Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    Then I access my local or cloud backup?
    but if it's only stored on the device (as you've just said) how is there a copy in the cloud? You don't seem to able to grasp that the cloud isn't the "back-up" that's where the data lives, that's the whole point of the cloud - you can't seem to get away from the Palm OS idea of pushing buttons and doing syncs.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Don't make an *** of yourself.

"Non-cloud" data would be accessed from Pre, not from an online service on a remote server. Backup is a different thing, you would not normally access data from a backup, only on emergency situations.

You assume that EVERYTHING has to be accessible from a remote server. Many people have tried to explain that they do not want that, so why would Palm insist on such a thing, if it provides nothing?
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    This discussion is interesting to me. I work for a small law firm, and we do not have Exchange or any kind of cloud computing for our data. However, my girlfriend is a paralegal for a very large law firm, and they do use cloud computing because they use MS Office Online. My girlfriend checks her email, calendar, and tasks from her laptop, my home computer, etc.

Note that all email is in the cloud to some extent. Your email server is connected to the Internet and the only security is your user name and password. So even if you are a physician, attorney, psychologist, or celebrity madam, your email is in the cloud right now.
    I am not talking about email.... I dont use email to deal with patients....for a variety of reasons not the least of which is that it is just too kludgy for dialogue ... but those who do must use encryption technology to comply with privacy laws..HIPPA

what I am talking about is things in task list and in calendar which sometimes may have sensitive or privileged information in a note... this stuff is only on my pc and my treo.... no wireless transmission so nothing in the "cloud"
    Quote Originally Posted by elsussman View Post
    what I am talking about is things in task list and in calendar which sometimes may have sensitive or privileged information in a note... this stuff is only on my pc and my treo.... no wireless transmission so nothing in the "cloud"
    Do the encryption requirements you mentioned for data stored on email servers not apply to data stored on your phone or PDA?
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenithNadir View Post
    Do the encryption requirements you mentioned for data stored on email servers not apply to data stored on your phone or PDA?
    I am not a lawyer but no I do not think so anymore than the patient data from my emr which is on my office system and firewalled etc... only the email goes out into that nebulous beyond... altho I imagine that as time goes on the requirements of the gov for emr's will probably require some kind of encryption of patient data
    Many people have tried to explain that they do not want that, so why would Palm insist on such a thing, if it provides nothing?
    Thats why Palm has 2 other phones.

The WM phone is for those who have companies that only support WM Phones over exchange server or for those who like to desktop sync to Outlook using a cable.

The Centro is for those that like to sync using a Cable to a desktop running Palm Desktop or Outlook.

The Pre is for those that would rather not hassle with cable syncing and prefer to have OTA cloud syncing happening in the background with out cables or buttons.

Perhaps the Pre is not for you?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    rc46 -

I really don;t think Palm would simply regulate those folks who use outlook, w/o exchnge, to using one of their older phones. doesn;t make must business sense
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    rc46 -

I really don;t think Palm would simply regulate those folks who use outlook, w/o exchnge, to using one of their older phones. doesn;t make must business sense

Why doesn't it? What do you think most "normal" consumers are doing? Do you think that most people are syncing their information to the desktop with a cable or do you think they are using cheap throwaway online accounts?

Anyway - palm lays it out in the spec -

2 Available for Exchange ActiveSync only. Requires Microsoft Outlook using Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with SP2 or Exchange Server 2007. Requires data services at additional cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Why doesn't it? What do you think most "normal" consumers are doing? Do you think that most people are syncing their information to the desktop with a cable or do you think they are using cheap throwaway online accounts?

Anyway - palm lays it out in the spec -

2 Available for Exchange ActiveSync only. Requires Microsoft Outlook using Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with SP2 or Exchange Server 2007. Requires data services at additional cost.
    i think most users sync to there desktop via a cable. If you can find any info to support / contrdict that i would like to see it.

And, yes, Pal m has made it clear MS exchnge server oneway to syync - but i would hope it;s not the only way out of the box (i think we all agree a third party will add additional ways)
    da Gimp

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    The following are all undeniable facts:
    1) I have no need to sync my current phone anywhere
    2) Pre either has an automatic syncing process or manual syncing process
    3) Either way, I don't need to care about it
    4) Pre is for me, only death could prevent me from getting one
    I hear you
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    LoL... best post I've read in awhile. :-P I think most of the TC community feels the same way about #4. I see pretty close to zero chance that palm will not have a way to sync to outlook and if they don't, there will be a third party solution in days.
    I don't get it....are you going to the Pre or not??
    So Rome, Have you considered the Iphone?
    da Gimp

15. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Thats why Palm has 2 other phones.

The WM phone is for those who have companies that only support WM Phones over exchange server or for those who like to desktop sync to Outlook using a cable.

The Centro is for those that like to sync using a Cable to a desktop running Palm Desktop or Outlook.

The Pre is for those that would rather not hassle with cable syncing and prefer to have OTA cloud syncing happening in the background with out cables or buttons.

Ok, sort of...

Palm built the WinMob Treo line (which according to many sources will now be the only Treo line) AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $for$ $3$ $reasons$...

1) to meet corporate demand for it--when a Palm rep would pitch something like a Treo 600 or 650, some companies responded "We'd buy it if it ran Windows Mobile"--so Palm did just that

2) to be more competitive in Europe and Asia, where Garnet had minuscule marketshare

3) to have a platform they could keep more current than Garnet until webOS was ready (in terms of 3G, WiFi, GPS, A2DP); while I haven't seen this in articles or anything, it had to be part of their thinking

The Centro is going to fade out, according to most reports. It had a good run and helped keep Palm going. Now, though, AT&T is looking for all of its phones to be 3G, and the Centro's stuck at EDGE. If Palm opts for a "Centro 2" or similar, it would have to be running webOS--whether or not it supported all the capabilities of the Pre.

This (the phasing out of the Centro) was discussed on PalmInfocenter when Palm had its most recent conference call.

Me, I like most of what I see about the Pre, and I'm planning to get a GSM one as soon as I can. Granted, I sync to Palm Desktop now, don't want Outlook, and don't plan on going with Google as a PIM, so I'll have to find something that will work.

Someone said something on another thread about a browser-based connection to the Pre--I think this might be a fantastic solution if done right. After all, I can log into my home network's router or network-based printers via the browser and adjust settings as needed. Desktop browser-based local access to a Pre (via cable, Bluetooth, WiFi) might be an easy way to import data, modify it... maybe even do a local backup. The question is this--is this something Palm will offer when the Pre launches, or is it something a 3rd-party developer will have to explore?

Another (3rd party) PIM option might be to sync with something like Mozilla Thunderbird and some of its plugins (Lightning, Sunbird). There are apps already to do this for other OSes.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234