Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    not all companies have exchange...and also you wouldn't want your personal info on a corporate enviroment ....

That's why hosted exchange or google sync in my opinion is better
    One of the partners is Chapura, aren't they the ones that specialize in synching with Outlook without exchange???
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    One of the partners is Chapura, aren't they the ones that specialize in synching with Outlook without exchange???
    Yes they are. They make PocketMirror for POS and WM for the specific purpose of syncing Outlook to your mobile device.

http://www.chapura.com/pm_standard.php

The Outlook synchronization software bundled with over 25 million Palm OS handhelds. Using PocketMirror Standard synchronization software, you can keep personal information accurate and up-to-date in both Outlook and your Palm OS handheld. And you only have to update information in one place. Synchronize just the essential information between the main folders in Outlook Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes and the built-in handheld applications. Take basic Outlook information anywhere you go to be organized and on schedule.
    Sounds to me that's exactly what people are looking for so they can sync the Pre to Outlook if they don't have EAS. Since they're a partner with the Pre I can only assume they're working on a new version of this software.
    On the keynote Ed says that Chapura allready "designed" software for the Pre within 3 days.
    (All the way at the end)
    So I guess.....
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    On the keynote Ed says that Chapura allready "designed" software for the Pre within 3 days.
    (All the way at the end)
    So I guess.....

For Palm's new on-line desktop
    (All the way at the end)
    So I guess.....
    Unfortunately, no, he says Pandora. Considering their main platform is already a webapp (though Flash I believe) that's not too surprising.
    I never even had the thought that I wouldn't be able to sync my local outlook calendar via usb cable or bluetooth to my PC. A lot of people here seem to think that Pre doesn't have a mini-usb port. It does and I'm sure the ability to talk to your PC will be there. I'd be really surprised if it didn't come with the ability out of the box but paying $30 or so for one of several products like Chapura's won't be a big deal if it doesn't. I'd pay good money right now for something to merge my work and personal calendars like Pre's synergy is advertized to do. I'm sure it will be easiest if your data can be accessed through the cloud since it's one more task you don't have to perform everyday but if you don't use exchange then tethering your phone and running a sync process will probably work fine.

This device is meant to converge your data sources, not force you to have them one way (ahem, Apple, ahem). That would be missing the whole point of the Synergy idea. At least that's the way I see it. I'd bet good money I could sync my local PIM data with this. They haven't said much about syncing to Palm Desktop, but why would they? It's an ancient PIM suite that does nothing more than give you more pixels to look at the appointments, tasks, memo's and media that are already on your Treo. I never used that even before I started syncing my Treo's to my work outlook.
    i dont quite think that people understand that you don't need to be constantly connected to access applications on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    i dont quite think that people understand that you don't need to be constantly connected to access applications on the Pre.
    I agree with you. Palm and everyone covering CES has made such a big deal about Synergy and how the device takes data from your online services and converges them to the Pre. However it's not like there's no local storage and without the internet you have a blank phone. Obviously there will be internet-only applications that completely rely on a connection, but most applications including Contacts will save data locally so you can access it with no connection. Then the next time you're online everything will update.

There are still legitimate gripes for the Pre, but the reliance on the internet isn't one of them, not in my opinion at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Well yes but... if you want a corporate device get a Treo Pro - this is a prosumer device.
    No. If I want a corporate device, I'll keep my BlackBerry. Palm needs to do something to get long time Treo users like myself back. The Pre looked like it might do just that, but I really don't know now with the lack of options to sync with Outlook.
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    Yes they are. They make PocketMirror for POS and WM for the specific purpose of syncing Outlook to your mobile device.

http://www.chapura.com/pm_standard.php
    They also are the developer of KeySuite, a PIM app for PalmOS which provides perfect desktop sync with multiple outlook instances.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Every company I've ever worked at has had Exchange server and a Blackberry setup too. Maybe it might be a problem for really small companies but I'd imagine this wouldn't be a problem for most.
    You've got it reversed. Most companies in the US are small companies.

I also find it interesting that even RIM with their BlackBerry, understands that they need to give options to both small and large business owners, as well as individuals. Palm wants to just cater to individuals who don't even keep a task list, as well as corporate users that have Exchange and don't even realize how much their employer spent to get it. Palm is leaving out the people in the middle, when they really can't afford to be giving up market share.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    You've got it reversed. Most companies in the US are small companies.

I also find it interesting that even RIM with their BlackBerry, understands that they need to give options to both small and large business owners, as well as individuals. Palm wants to just cater to individuals who don't even keep a task list, as well as corporate users that have Exchange and don't even realize how much their employer spent to get it. Palm is leaving out the people in the middle, when they really can't afford to be giving up market share.
    Yes, and I've worked for many small companies, which have also had Exchange Server and most have had the Blackberry support as well. That is, of the companies that supported email, when I worked a summer job when I was 15, I don't think that place had Exchange Server, email, a calendar, hell even a computer.

And you don't know that they're 'leaving out the people in the middle', just that they haven't revealed any information on 'people in the middle'.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    No. If I want a corporate device, I'll keep my BlackBerry. Palm needs to do something to get long time Treo users like myself back. The Pre looked like it might do just that, but I really don't know now with the lack of options to sync with Outlook.
    Isn't that clearly *not* the point? If you are a long-term treo user, they will sell you a treo pro. This is a device intended to return Palm to mass market status not something to appeal to members of the family.
    needs to sync to outlook. must work w/o MS exchange (for personal users of outlook, not commercial) How Pre does that - wire, wireless, through some cloud, or whatever - I' m sure palm planned for it.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Isn't that clearly *not* the point? If you are a long-term treo user, they will sell you a treo pro. This is a device intended to return Palm to mass market status not something to appeal to members of the family.
    Sorry, but the Treo Pro does not stack up to a BlackBerry. The Pre, on the other hand, appears that it can (as long as it will sync with Outlook without requiring Exchange).
    You guys worry too much. Palm knows that you need outlook to sync.

This and traditional pda apps like calendar have always been palm's strongpoints. They won't abandon it.

I'd like to address the prosumer and business user thing though. Business users aren't droids all about working and productivity as they type on a boring WM or BB screen.

The Pre will be perfect for business. Has exchange. Great email. And did they mention contacts??? This is most important. Social networking is becoming very important.

And of course there will be office apps. Name a palm that hasn't had em.

But wait, the pre has an iphone built in. It's capacitive multitouch, has a superior browser, had the media player with all the animations and amazon store. Simple to get other media on with drag and drop. Will have podcaster apps, e-readers and all that. MMS, stereoBT, headset plug, wifi, rev a, etc..for those seeking the fun side.

And no epic arguments about copy & paste.

One has to ask, given palm's history, about updates and support. They have said in the past, give us our own OS, device, and control of the whole process and its a new ballgame. The system has changed for them dramatically so i would expect timely updates at about the same level as apple.

And they need to keep in mind, that people need it simple. The cloud is great, but don't value it more than keeping things simple. You have to treat the market like 6yr olds in some respects. I'd say lots actually like an app like itunes that's sort of a one stop shop to take care of all that.
    Last edited by cardfan; 01/12/2009 at 09:27 AM.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    What's all the fuss about? There's a perfectly good solution out there, and it's called NUEVASYNC (www.nuevasync.com), and it is free!

It syncs stuff between your phone (any phone which uses exchange sync, such as iPhone, Treo etc) and an online source such as google. I use it with an iPhone to sync' my contacts and calendar with my google account. That google account is then synced to my desktop (Mozilla Thunderbird) using the google extender Add-in. Thus, Desktop <---> Google <--> Phone, for contacts, calendar and mail, all for free, all without touching a single Microsoft product.

Nuevasync basically mimics an exchange server, so that's what the phone sees. It works flawlessly. I have no affiliation to this company or their product, but just passing on the information because there are perfectly good solutions out there if you're willing to look!
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    can outlook users (who don't want to or will not use exhange) be able to sync the Pre to their PC outlook using a cord or bluetooth. I want it supported by Palm out of the box.

if not . . . this is too "new" for me.

In my case, palm needs to answer this question quickly and definitively.
    Another dealbreaker for me. The Pre is a very nice device but simply not for me or for people who would like to maintain Outlook sync capabilities outside of Exchange. If I wanted to use Google contacts and calendar, I'd already be there using them. I don't want my data in someone else's hands and subject to thier security and terms of use changes. Google is a for-profit business and one day they may decide to charge for the things they offer for free. I'll just pay up front and manage the data myself instead of depending on the availability of "The Cloud".
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post
    Another dealbreaker for me. The Pre is a very nice device but simply not for me or for people who would like to maintain Outlook sync capabilities outside of Exchange. If I wanted to use Google contacts and calendar, I'd already be there using them. I don't want my data in someone else's hands and subject to their security and terms of use changes. Google is a for-profit business and one day they may decide to charge for the things they offer for free. I'll just pay up front and manage the data myself instead of depending on the availability of "The Cloud".
    Seems to be that's another good reason for Palm to lock down the PIM so it's inaccessible to third party sync tools - because that provides additional commerical value to partners like google (which as you say is looking to make money).

A desktop sync solution makes the Pre less attractive to partners like google.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast