Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I keep reading that the Pre doesn't necessarily do a hotsync as we are used to with Outlook, for example. They say you can update info from Gmail to your Pre, or Outlook to your Pre (if you use Exchange), but Gmail does not support tasks yet. It supports calendar and email only.

So, what if I don't have Exchange? How do I get tasks to the Pre?

I really hope Palm has thought through these things, or they could have a lot of unhappy campers the morning after, so to speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Same here
    After all the buzz/hype about the Pre, I'm sitting here now worrying if it will ever suffice for me. I've been an avid Palm user, since the original PalmPilot 1000. I'm a physician, and have 9 years of archived calendar events, 650 Memo's (mainly medical references), and about 50 Tasks on my Treo 755p. I've always HotSync'd daily with my home computer, and do NOT use MS Outlook or Exchange. Palm Desktop software has always been adequate (though not ideal) for me. I'd like to hear some official word re 1) whether any kind of desktop software and sync option will be forthcoming 2) how can I still create Memos and Tasks 3) how long before Epocrates, and various Medical References will be available for the Pre (if ever). As impressive as the Pre sounds, I fear I'll be forced to wait on the sidelines until these issues are clarified.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    I keep reading that the Pre doesn't necessarily do a hotsync as we are used to with Outlook, for example. They say you can update info from Gmail to your Pre, or Outlook to your Pre (if you use Exchange), but Gmail does not support tasks yet. It supports calendar and email only.

I really hope Palm has thought through these things, or they could have a lot of unhappy campers the morning after, so to speak.
    For what it's worth, GMail supports Tasks now. In GMail, click on Labs at the top and you can enable Tasks. There are a bunch of handy features that aren't active by default but are there, and they're updated every so often. That might help for some people.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    For what it's worth, GMail supports Tasks now. In GMail, click on Labs at the top and you can enable Tasks. There are a bunch of handy features that aren't active by default but are there, and they're updated every so often. That might help for some people.

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked it out and enabled it, but it is pretty watered down unfortunately. It doesn't let you do even basic stuff like assign a category, priority (high, normal, low), delegate a task, etc. Looks better suited for a grocery list than for business.
    Chapura is a partner so I'm sure they'll provide a third party app to do this
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post

They better, or the Pre will be mostly used by teens on one extreme, and corporate users with Exchange on the other. What about the meat and potatoes in the middle? Folks that own a small business that don't have Exchange? I heard a statistic that small business makes up most of the U.S. economy, so Palm would be making a huge mistake to leave that segment out in the cold ticked off.
    Here's somewhere offering an Exchange account (with a copy of Outlook 2007) for $6.99/mo: http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Mai...48K03646T2800a

(found it on Microsoft's site)
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I think that if you use Gmail that you can sync to their calendar it is only if you want to use Outlook you have to have Exchange. Gmail and maybe yahoo mail you can sync to your calendar and contacts if you put them into their system. Not sure about this but I think that is how it will work. If you can export your Outlook contacts etc. to the built in Palm contact manager then sync with Gmail then it will be workable for those that don't have Exchange. Can a Guru on this board weigh in on this.
    Last edited by davidlw; 01/11/2009 at 08:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    I hope you're right DedahDrol because I'm not comfortable sending my Outlook info and SplashID into the Cloud.
    Good Liuck
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 01/16/2009 at 08:58 PM.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    All those who are pointing out various ways of accessing tasks via a browser and the web are missing the point. Connectivity doesn't exist everywhere, all the time. I need to be able to access my contacts and calendar even if I don't have my phone, and don't have a connection.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    If you don't have your phone, your laptop, or connectivity, then how do you want to access them?

Telepathy?
    The implication was that he had his laptop and they were stored locally.

Anyway, Outlook can keep a local copy of what's on an Exchange server.

It's just kinda sad that MS Outlook is the new Palm Desktop, it seems, and Exchange Server+ActiveSync is the new HotSync.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    How often do you have your laptop, but not your phone and no connectivity?
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    One point I have not heard -- just because you use Exchange that does not mean you have OTA access to it. In my case my company only supports Blackberry OTA and even then only on company-owned devices. Even if they open up in the future the use of Exchange OTA, they will not budge on the company-owned rule.

So, my only option is to sync with my desktop PC. Keep in mind that my company is probably more paranoid than most (we are in the Defense business) but I believe many other mid-to-large companies will start instituting similar policies in the near future as concerns over computer security grow.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    All those who are pointing out various ways of accessing tasks via a browser and the web are missing the point. Connectivity doesn't exist everywhere, all the time. I need to be able to access my contacts and calendar even if I don't have my phone, and don't have a connection.
    PIM data like contacts and calendar info is stored locally on the Pre. When you're online it searches Exchange, Google, Facebook, etc to look for updates and stay synced, that's all. If you have no connectivity you still have all of your contacts and calendar info from the last time you synced.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlw View Post
    I think that if you use Gmail that you can sync to their calendar it is only if you want to use Outlook you have to have Exchange. Gmail and maybe yahoo mail you can sync to your calendar and contacts if you put them into their system. Not sure about this but I think that is how it will work. If you can export your Outlook contacts etc. to the built in Palm contact manager then sync with Gmail then it will be workable for those that don't have Exchange. Can a Guru on this board weigh in on this.
    Yes, but what about tasks? The Google task features are watered down. You can't even assign a priority, category, or delegate a task.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    How often do you have your laptop, but not your phone and no connectivity?
    2/3 of the time that I am doing onsite inspections of my clients. I travel 4 months a year.

The facility I work at has a strict policy on WiFi (not allowed) and requesting an IP address for an outside laptop (for a presentation) is very time consuming and sometimes denied and when it is allowed, requires a visit to the IT department for a scan prior to it being allowed onto the network and again afterward. Of course being in a shielded building (due to the experiments in the labs) kinda kills the hopes of actually getting phone service too. These types of conditions happen and are going to become a little more common as time goes on and government agencies start closing the security holes.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    2/3 of the time that I am doing onsite inspections of my clients. I travel 4 months a year.

The facility I work at has a strict policy on WiFi (not allowed) and requesting an IP address for an outside laptop (for a presentation) is very time consuming and sometimes denied and when it is allowed, requires a visit to the IT department for a scan prior to it being allowed onto the network and again afterward. Of course being in a shielded building (due to the experiments in the labs) kinda kills the hopes of actually getting phone service too. These types of conditions happen and are going to become a little more common as time goes on and government agencies start closing the security holes.
    ...even if you don't have reception you can still access everything on your device...
    not if it wasn't entered on the phone but in outlook but you haven't had a chance to leave to get reception prior to your meetings in which you don't have your desktop. (I've had that happen twice with memos from outlook)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast