Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Is the Pre Cloud computing like Mobile Me for Apple?
    Kind of, the Pre's cloud is based off of Facebook, Gmail, MySpace, and other's Data. apple's data just comes from Mobile Me.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    OK, someone stated that I would need MS Exchange, is that correct?
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlw View Post
    OK, someone stated that I would need MS Exchange, is that correct?

For outlook yes (according to Palm's own spec for the phone). Let's bring her out again...

2 Available for Exchange ActiveSync only. Requires Microsoft Outlook using Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with SP2 or Exchange Server 2007. Requires data services at additional cost.
    Yes, MS exchange will work too, but not everyone has access to an Exchange server.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Please see thread about "What if you do not have a Internet connection", I/we need answers to this question.
    If you are paying $300 for a phone you really shouldn't cheap out and not get a data plan
    Is the Pre Cloud computing like Mobile Me for Apple?
    The Cloud just means internet. It's the "in" term these days. So it's syncing with and pulling in data from all over the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    If you are paying $300 for a phone you really shouldn't cheap out and not get a data plan
    It's not about not getting a data plan. Some people are concerned about when you're somewhere with no coverage but you need to get a phone number or e-mail address. Although I don't see that as a big deal because while the Pre pulls data from all of your internet accounts just to present them on the device, it's locally caching that data. If you don't have a connection you just see what was there the last time you did. Just like with a Blackberry or another device with EAS account it's not like you suddenly can't see your contacts or previously downloaded e-mail when you're out of coverage.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I did not mean that I could not afford a internet connection but what if you are in a building that your signal won't get out. Will you still have your contacts and calendar on the phone to access?
    I did not mean that I could not afford a internet connection but what if you are in a building that your signal won't get out. Will you still have your contacts and calendar on the phone to access?
    thats a very good question and I don't know the answer, but my guess is yes

Palm's own app probably have more low-level access to the hardware for one.
    HTML5 allows local storage of the data for two.

Its technically doable, and I have little doubt you will be able to use your calendar and contacts with no connection.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    They will almost certainly be doing local caching. Anything else would be moronic and battery-killing.