1.    #1  
    Okay, so first of all, I realize that so far, Palm has only said they're working with AOL, Yahoo, etc, and hasn't confirmed any IM support other than Gtalk yet.

Secondly, I'd be willing to bet that this problem is something that Palm has thought about, or is thinking about.

However, I was thinking that IM could be a major issue for the whole Synergy thing. By that, I mean how it maps AIM contacts for example to contacts in the phone already. I don't know about you, but my AIM account contains no additional information on anyone in it other than their screen names, so it'd be impossible to automatically sync up to contacts at all. Now I know my list probably needs pruning since I've had the same account for probably 8-10 years now, but it'd be over 200 people to have to map up to contacts. Not only that, but not everyone in my AIM list is in my contacts.

I was wondering what Palm could possibly do to fix the issue. I mean, I guess quite a few of my Facebook friends probably have the AIM listed, so maybe it'd sync up with that. But again, that's a group that doesn't overlap everyone.

It just seems to me like no matter what, its going to involve my entering in people's names in order to get my AIM account synced up with everything else.

Edit: Also, I'm sure like everyone else, I have a bunch of Facebook friends who've added me over the years just because we used to talk years ago, who I'll probably never reconnect with ever again. Will all of them show up in my contacts too? Because then I'd end up with hundreds and hundreds of contacts who I would never actually contact.
    Its a good point, we need more info on how the whole Synergy thing works. Also been thinging is there some prep work you would need to do for all your online data to work better with the Pre.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, and another thought I just had as I've been sitting here overthinking things is what about people who have multiple screen names. How will it work for them? Will I have to manually add both of their names to their contact info? Will it even support multiple screen names on the same service for someone?
    I know that Facebook list some of these info in the user's profile if they list them. Otherwise I have no idea how this would work with services such as AIM.
    I'm guessing that it does allow multiple sources on the same service for the same person, I don't see why it wouldn't.

Anyway, I do suspect manual IM account adding to contacts might have to happen... then again, I'd have to pretty heavily revamp stuff anyway, with the way Google's contact list works and all...
    I don't see the problem, just run meebo on the browser.
    What i think is that for example, if you input an AIM screen name (or Yahoo/MSN/Gtalk) as part of the info for a contact, the the Pre keeps track of that contact logging in and out of AIM (basically their online status/presence).....maybe?
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    But meebo doesn't have the benefits of the webOS IM client.
    Let me ask you this: How do other phones handle it now?

Yes, the Pre may not be able to handle 100% of all of permutations of contacts, names, etc. But let's say if you have 200 AIM contacts and the Pre is able to sync up 50 of them with your emails/exchange/facebook/myspace/linked in/etc, that's 50 names/contacts that you don't have to do. Right?

What I would be more concerned about is the fact that the Pre could merge names/contacts that shouldn't be merged. John Smith from work may not be John Smith from AIM. Although I have a feeling that Palm had already thought of it. After all, they've put in quite a bit of time in other aspects of the Pre & the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah, and another thought I just had as I've been sitting here overthinking things is what about people who have multiple screen names. How will it work for them? Will I have to manually add both of their names to their contact info? Will it even support multiple screen names on the same service for someone?
  10.    #10  
    I do notice that there's a "Link more profiles" button in the contacts app, so I guess that manually adding AIM, etc into it works.

I have serious fears of this "helpful" technology screwing up my databases, just as the hotsync to Outlook has created problems- lost entries, numbers, etc. I prefer to control the numbers and pics rather than have a robot overwrite them from online sites. The Onion newspaper even had an expose the other day about how errors have been found on the interweb. Yes, it's true!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Use Plaxo to clean up your online contacts. It allows the contacts the you want to keep in touch with to update their own information. It will also inform you when someone you click connect with updates their information and asks you whether or not you'd like it to update your outlook information.

Other than that, I believe your over-thinking it. I doubt if you have to deal with all your AIM addresses and remember, it's allowing you to search through the contacts, not just scroll. So it's going to check first and last initial, not just first two letters in a name. You're going to tap the one you meant and if you enter more letters, your AIM contact would drop anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Use Plaxo to clean up your online contacts.
    Interestingly, Plaxo includes software modules to synch with WindowsMobile, Outlook and Outlook Express...but nothing for the Palm Garnet. It would be nice if they supported getting your data out of your current palm. Looks like the only way to transfer data would be to do the "two-step"...from Palm Desktop to Outlook to Plaxo.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilebuddha View Post
    Let me ask you this: How do other phones handle it now?

Yes, the Pre may not be able to handle 100% of all of permutations of contacts, names, etc. But let's say if you have 200 AIM contacts and the Pre is able to sync up 50 of them with your emails/exchange/facebook/myspace/linked in/etc, that's 50 names/contacts that you don't have to do. Right?

What I would be more concerned about is the fact that the Pre could merge names/contacts that shouldn't be merged. John Smith from work may not be John Smith from AIM. Although I have a feeling that Palm had already thought of it. After all, they've put in quite a bit of time in other aspects of the Pre & the platform.
    Yes I would think you can select "not the same" person" or maybe when you do the intital set-up, it says "those have the same name? same person?"

I'll be amazed if it's not covered.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    I have serious fears of this "helpful" technology screwing up my databases, just as the hotsync to Outlook has created problems- lost entries, numbers, etc.
    But it does not change your data in that way - it aggregates them on the device pulling from the different sources you supply. The data files stay separate from wherever you pull them.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Can the Pre sync with Outlook?
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlw View Post
    Can the Pre sync with Outlook?
    Magic 8ball says:

Available for Exchange ActiveSync only. Requires Microsoft Outlook using Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with SP2 or Exchange Server 2007. Requires data services at additional cost.
  18.    #18  
    Just for the record, while Palm has only officially announced Gtalk support, this video shows that it does currently work with AIM as well at 6:30.

Actually, maybe not directly - AIM can work through GTalk.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
    Actually, maybe not directly - AIM can work through GTalk.
    Good point, I forgot that.