Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    I partially agree that Desktop Syncing doesn't make a lot of sense with the Pre, it sort of defeats the purpose of it "gluing" all of your contacts/info together from multiple sources. However, what will always make sense is BACKUP!!! Something I love about my Palm is that if it is reset, lost, etc, I can whip out my laptop, sync and have an exact duplicate of everything that was in my device (up to the last sync). Yes, calendar entries, contacts, and other data is backed up to multiple locations in the "cloud", but what about call logs, text messages, phone settings such as quick launch buttons, wallpapers, etc???

I generally do a LOT of customizing on my Palms. Having to redo all of that if the the phone is reset or lost would suck horribly. I'm sure Palm has a solution to this, I simply wondered what it is...
    You know something man? i used to think that I could not do without desktop sync until I tried NVbackup. Quite honestly, I have had much more success restoring my data that way. And I can't think that there won't be a way to package data the way that it's done with NVbackup from a Mass Storage device like the Pre...

But anywho, I am still a bit bummed to read that there wont be the secure and somewhat safe haven of Hotsync for the Pre...Although, don't you worry about having to "sync" a device with 7.4GB of storage over USB 2.0? Won't that take some serious time?
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by mgabel_pi View Post
    Re SplashID: Not only will my SplashID-type data 'never' go on the cloud-to keep it private, but w/o a desk top version (that MUST be sync-abe), if my Pre breaks, crucial data is lost to me until I get another. No way I'll get a Pre as currently created.
    I have eWallet and prefer to use the desktop version when sitting at my desktop (which I often am when I need the information). Can't think of a better model for this kind of app than desktop sync.
    agreed. I use SplahID pretty evenly between the computer and the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitido357 View Post
    .Although, don't you worry about having to "sync" a device with 7.4GB of storage over USB 2.0? Won't that take some serious time?
    Sounds like a lot until you try to sync that much data over sprint's wireless connection.

Oh, wait, what is that limit again?

01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I have eWallet and prefer to use the desktop version when sitting at my desktop (which I often am when I need the information). Can't think of a better model for this kind of app than desktop sync.
    Yes, ewallet is great for this type of application... although, you could sync the wallet file wireless without issue. eWallet will have to figure all this out eventually... although, I'm going to test mine with mesh.com to see if it works that way....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    I partially agree that Desktop Syncing doesn't make a lot of sense with the Pre, it sort of defeats the purpose of it "gluing" all of your contacts/info together from multiple sources. However, what will always make sense is BACKUP!!! Something I love about my Palm is that if it is reset, lost, etc, I can whip out my laptop, sync and have an exact duplicate of everything that was in my device (up to the last sync). Yes, calendar entries, contacts, and other data is backed up to multiple locations in the "cloud", but what about call logs, text messages, phone settings such as quick launch buttons, wallpapers, etc???

I generally do a LOT of customizing on my Palms. Having to redo all of that if the the phone is reset or lost would suck horribly. I'm sure Palm has a solution to this, I simply wondered what it is...
    I still don't understand how Palm could possibly design something that assumes it's still 1996 and there are no third party applications that might need to sync to a desktop app or be sensitive enough that they shouldn't go through the "cloud." What am I missing? How can I sync financial data into Quicken (not just bank accounts like via Mint.com) or many of the other things that are designed around 1:1 access to the desktop?

It's not 1996, Hotsync serves for many purposes beyond just PIMs and backups. Even syncing up 6GB of music each week would be pretty impractical (and expensive bandwidth) via the 'net.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    Even syncing up 6GB of music each week would be pretty impractical (and expensive bandwidth) via the 'net.
    Why would you do that? when you connect the pre to a computer it automatically becomes a mass storage device - you would just use any standard windows sync software to transfer the music backwards and forwards. WMP11 for example would just pick it up as another drive.
    I'm assuming there will be a backup freature somewhere on the thing. I do nightly backups. I won't give that up for any phone. Currently I use a card and ftp backup system. If I change out all of the music (or even most of the music) 3 times a month, that would take a really long time to backup. Especially if you are not on an evdo area.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    How can I sync financial data into Quicken (not just bank accounts like via Mint.com) or many of the other things that are designed around 1:1 access to the desktop?
    Have you tried Quicken Online? It's free and you can sync financial accounts too.

Like you said, it's not 1996. The hotsync model is dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Sounds like a lot until you try to sync that much data over sprint's wireless connection.

Oh, wait, what is that limit again?

ya got a point doncha know
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    I'm assuming there will be a backup freature somewhere on the thing. I do nightly backups. I won't give that up for any phone. Currently I use a card and ftp backup system. If I change out all of the music (or even most of the music) 3 times a month, that would take a really long time to backup. Especially if you are not on an evdo area.
    If you had that music on an sd card, what would be any better? You ought to be able to transfer that music as quickly as with any other method.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    When I travel, I carry a second SD card when I'm going to be away for a few days that way I can be back up and running and still have all of my files (at least the same as when I left) within 20 minutes of picking up a new phone from the store in the event of a total loss (phone and card). I would expect nothing less of a device without sd cards. Obviously it would take significantly longer to restore all of my data (including the music) from an online backup (especially in an area that is not EVDO.)
    Obviously it would take significantly longer to restore all of my data (including the music) from an online backup (especially in an area that is not EVDO.)
    And if you are in Europe, you will have to wait until you return to the US.
    agreed. I use SplahID pretty evenly between the computer and the phone.
    You can manually sync splash Id. I do this with my wife's mac, I use the 680 and xp. It's a file export, import process. I do wish it were automated though. I'm sure splashdata will create something.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    currently they have a conduit with the treo line so there is nothing to really do. although I will note that exporting and importing that data is not something I would do except to take to a new computer. It kinda leaves you data open.
    why not just create/use an MS Word Document with password/encryption security and Docs To Go Premium? this way, your data isn't locked into proprietary closed black box prc/pdb apps such as e-wallet and splash id?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    why not just create/use an MS Word Document with password/encryption security and Docs To Go Premium? this way, your data isn't locked into proprietary closed black box prc/pdb apps such as e-wallet and splash id?
    With the kind of data we are talking about, the more proprietary and closed the solution, the more I like it.
    don't confuse proprietary and closed with secure.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    And if you are in Europe, you will have to wait until you return to the US.
    Not necessarily. I haven't heard this, but I was thinking you may be able use wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    You do know that Docs To Go (at least on the PalmOS) is notorious for ignoring the passwords on docs that are set via computer. No password to get it means no security.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast