Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 87
  1. #41  
    yes BACKUP

    much better way to describe what many users gain by syching to the PC.

    I rarelly enter data into the PC - it;s always into my phone. But if something ever happens to the phone, i know all my data is safe and sound at home

    with that said, pc sync shouldn;t be hard to replace
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  2. #42  
    Right now Desktop sync is very important to me. I use Agendus for Palm Desktop to update my calendar, contacts and tasks on a daily basis in my work. I then sync this with my Centro at the end of the work day.
    This is much faster and more efficient in tthe office. On the go, I just use the Centro.

    Palm had better come up with a simple solution to migrate all our data properly to the new platform, and a way to get Desktop and Pre PIM data in sync
    It should not have to require Exchange for those who dont want to go that way,
    Everytime I sync with Outlook, I lose some contact data. Outlook sucks.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  3. #43  
    Palm Desktop is the only reason I haven't jumped ship to another device like the iphone.

    I've got loads of tasks and memos organized into numerous categories.

    I sure hope some sort of solution presents itself.
  4. #44  
    Right. That's how I transfer some of my application files from my pc to the Treo. Some can be transferred by putting them on an sd card, but 1) those won't work with Pre's and 2) some can't just be slapped on an sd card.

    The biggest example being the gps/mapping software that I use on both my pc and my Treo.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  5. #45  
    I'm also a bit put out by the apparent demise of desktop syncing, although I'm fairly down with using the cloud for PIM data. I'm already using Companionlink to sync my Palm Desktop app against gmail and gcal.

    But there's sensitive data I want to maintain locally, not with some company. Passwords, account numbers, stuff I'm keeping in SplashID for instance. And while the idea of syncing against a free service I'm using anyway (gmail and gcal) makes sense, I'm not interesting in paying for an online service for other things when I've got tons of storage locally.

    One thing I was concerned about, but hope will be ok is backing up application settings, preferences, and the apps themselves. As long as we can mount the Pre as a drive, hopefully we'll have access to the whole file system and can just drag a copy onto your computer's local storage?
  6. #46  
    I have a problem with the cloud concept:

    I have distinct email/accounts on line and my personal/academic/professional emails. I don't place my calendars on google/myspace/facebook...

    I WANT and NEED a synching solution, better yet a BACKUP solution.

    (I emailed MarkSpace, if I need to pay for a syncing solution so be it...)
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

    justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
  7. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmg_P1OS21 View Post
    I have a problem with the cloud concept:

    I have distinct email/accounts on line and my personal/academic/professional emails.
    So what's the problem? you keep them and the device blends them all together on the device but leaves the original data sources untouched.
  8. #48  
    iCal organizes my calendar (desktop) and IMAP keeps my email organized (own personal server)...

    My clouds are kept close to my chest... not 3rd party websites...
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

    justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I would guess you export them as a .CSV (Palm desktop does .CSV right) and then upload them into Google or exchange or whatever and then *that* is the conduit that imports into your phone.


    As far as I can see - there is a line in the sand here, Palm doesn't care how palm OS users get their information across - you are just another customer migrating to the platform.
    I came close to getting the G1 so that's what I did, imported my contacts into Gmail and used GooSync from Google to sync my Outlook with Google Calendar.
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sagan View Post
    I came close to getting the G1 so that's what I did, imported my contacts into Gmail and used GooSync from Google to sync my Outlook with Google Calendar.
    I have a google account but I've never used it - when I went off the desktop, I went straight to exchange - it costs me about the same about two starbucks coffees a month..
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sagan View Post
    I came close to getting the G1 so that's what I did, imported my contacts into Gmail and used GooSync from Google to sync my Outlook with Google Calendar.
    GooSync won't sync address book entries?
  12. #52  
    I just looked at the Google Calendar set-up and I don't like it. I want what I have with my Palm 755p, but I don't want to have to stick with the 755p (if I choose to upgrade) and I damn-sure don't want to have to PAY for a PIM application that'd back-up on my pc (and not necessarily be available to whomever can figure out my Gmail password).

    I'm still trying to keep an open mind to this concept of Palm's but right now I feel ... threatened, for lack of a better term.


    I want this new phone but without the headache.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sagan View Post
    I came close to getting the G1 so that's what I did, imported my contacts into Gmail and used GooSync from Google to sync my Outlook with Google Calendar.

    Yeah, but what about tasks? Google doesn't support tasks.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I have a google account but I've never used it - when I went off the desktop, I went straight to exchange - it costs me about the same about two starbucks coffees a month..
    Really? Are you talking full Exchange, or one of those lousy web services that tries to behave like Exchange?

    I was under the impression that adding Exchange was hundreds- if not thousands of dollars depending on the number of users.
  15. #55  
    Maybe I missed it, but what about things like pictures and videos? Would it just be manually through the microUSB connection?
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    But not all of use have exchange.
    I'd say most of the "fat middle" does NOT have exchange.
    This whole issue of having to pay for and depend on an independent service to sync MY cal, memos, email, contacts and tasks, or any part of these items, from MY desktop to MY handheld is utterly boneheaded, if true.
  17. #57  
    If it requires an Exchange server for sync... is there an open source Exchange server clone yet? I do have a personal server, after all...
  18. #58  
    I haven't used it but I think maybe Z-push should do what you want.

    http://z-push.sourceforge.net/soswp/
  19. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Really? Are you talking full Exchange, or one of those lousy web services that tries to behave like Exchange?

    I was under the impression that adding Exchange was hundreds- if not thousands of dollars depending on the number of users.
    Full exchange - outlook webaccess etc.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I'm also a bit put out by the apparent demise of desktop syncing, although I'm fairly down with using the cloud for PIM data. I'm already using Companionlink to sync my Palm Desktop app against gmail and gcal.

    But there's sensitive data I want to maintain locally, not with some company. Passwords, account numbers, stuff I'm keeping in SplashID for instance. And while the idea of syncing against a free service I'm using anyway (gmail and gcal) makes sense, I'm not interesting in paying for an online service for other things when I've got tons of storage locally.

    One thing I was concerned about, but hope will be ok is backing up application settings, preferences, and the apps themselves. As long as we can mount the Pre as a drive, hopefully we'll have access to the whole file system and can just drag a copy onto your computer's local storage?
    Re SplashID: Not only will my SplashID-type data 'never' go on the cloud-to keep it private, but w/o a desk top version (that MUST be sync-abe), if my Pre breaks, crucial data is lost to me until I get another. No way I'll get a Pre as currently created.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions