Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Desk top syching is one of the main reason i love the aplm phones. I don't think I'm alone. I'm sure there will be a simple solution here for user like my self.

sperately, if this mean the end of palm desktop, i don't think that will have a mjor impact. W/ Outlook, the goodlge apps, and so many others offering calendar/ contacts the Palm desktop was way behind anyway
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I wonder if that whole Palm backup OTA solution they had in beta last year is going to resurface?

I hope not cause I thought it sucked. Hate to be that blunt and sophomoric but....

It was buggy, it didnt play well with my other apps and it caused resets.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I see. How unfortunate for folks like me, though.

...except to enter the data into the cloud apps in the first place. (I prefer pc entry to HAVing to manually enter each bit o' info in each field, by phone.)
    Ditto. agreed.. me too etc etc. Not having desktop software (at least announced yet) really throws a curve ball to me.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    So do I but that's the beauty of thing like exchange - I add a contact and blam it's on my phone - I haven't done anything - it's just there. I could never go back to using a cable or bluetooth for synch.
    But not all of use have exchange.
    There is no spoon.
    Which you'd have to upload to gmail or similar and the device would integrate them into your phone book.
    That's unfortunate, imo. But then, my opinion isn't based on an intimate knowledge of Google's contact system set-up. Maybe I'd like it.

Do you have any experience with it? If so, do you dig it?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    That's unfortunate, imo. But then, my opinion isn't based on an intimate knowledge of Google's contact system set-up. Maybe I'd like it.

Do you have any experience with it? If so, do you dig it?

I use microsoft exchange all the way - costs me two cups of coffee a month, it's well worth it. I have played with gmail and it's fairly easy to upload contacts as a .csv.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    But not all of use have exchange.
    Then you will have to use gmail or another supported web client.
    I use microsoft exchange all the way - costs me two cups of coffee a month, it's well worth it.
    I had no idea it was so inexpensive and available to reg'la folks.

By the way, I also have little to no idea how much a cup of coffee costs, these days. (I don't touch the stuff, but your point was clear.) If you'd rather not say precisely what you pay (which is cool) would you mind suggesting a trusted resource that I might peruse?

I have played with gmail and it's fairly easy to upload contacts as a .csv.
    Thanks, but I wasn't so concerned about the transfer of data (although I think there'll likely be a good deal lost in that translation) as I wondered if you'd used Gmail's or Google's contact management services and found them to be to your liking.

For instance, if I can't easily change details in large blocks of contacts (not necessarily limited to a particular contact category like "Family") that I wouldn't like that.
    Last edited by west3man; 01/09/2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: cleaning up code
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    I had no idea it was so inexpensive and available to reg'la folks.

By the way, I also have little to no idea how much a cup of coffee costs, these days. (I don't touch the stuff, but your point was clear.) If you'd rather not say precisely what you pay (which is cool) would you mind suggesting a trusted resource that I might peruse?
    I pay 5 a month for a 2gb (storage space) account - this give me an exchange server account and access to Outlook web access. I already own outlook desktop so that also now syncs to exchange as well. If I change anything in one, the changes appear on the other.

I paid and had the account set up in a couple of hours. I just don't have the knowledge of gmail to answer the other questions.
    I pay 5 a month for a 2gb (storage space) account - this give me an exchange server account and access to Outlook web access. I already own outlook desktop so that also now syncs to exchange as well. If I change anything in one, the changes appear on the other.

I paid and had the account set up in a couple of hours. I just don't have the knowledge of gmail to answer the other questions.
    Ah. Many thanks.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but my tech experience is lies in other areas or (at times) was handled by IT staff...

Does one need to have Outlook software to use Exchange?
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Ah. Many thanks.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but my tech experience is lies in other areas or (at times) was handled by IT staff...

Does one need to have Outlook software to use Exchange?
    No because if you don't have outlook, you can just use outlook web access which is like outlook on the web. Generally if you sign up for an exchange account, they throw in the desktop software as well...

The web client looks like this (in the default mode):

http://www.capk.org/images/opg_img_0.jpg
    No because if you don't have outlook, you can just use outlook web access which is like outlook on the web. Generally if you sign up for an exchange account, they throw in the desktop software as well...

The web client looks like this (in the default mode):

http://www.capk.org/images/opg_img_0.jpg
    Thanks, again.
    According to this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=175360
    It comes with a sync cable.
    That has to be good, right?
    I don't use Outlook, all my contacts are in my Palm Desktop.
    And since the Pre doesn't have infrared (unless someone heard otherwise), you can't beam them, I'd like to be able to synch them.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    According to this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=175360
    It comes with a sync cable.
    That has to be good, right?
    I don't use Outlook, all my contacts are in my Palm Desktop.
    And since the Pre doesn't have infrared (unless someone heard otherwise), you can't beam them, I'd like to be able to synch them.
    The cable is for it to act as a storage device (like the life drive) not for PIM sync.
    I feel your pain.

What I'm trying to do is consider that, if Palm has changed the game, and if I applaud their efforts and most of the results, maybe I should try a little harder to see if there's a way to change the way that I do things so that it fits into the way they're doing things and we can achieve more things together.

That's no indictment of anyone else's opinion or approach - just what I'm trying, for now, to be sure that Palm's new hotness is or is not too hot to handle*.

* - i.e. not for me.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    This may be a reach, but I have a suspicion. At some point in the presentation they said that you just have to log in once. I suspect that using the Pre will require something like a palm.com account. I suspect (just a guess) that they will provide online storage for PIM, photos, etc. Maybe this special account will also provide Exchange server functionality for those of us who don't have it, or maybe they will provide something that will make Outlook obsolete, which I am open to. If my suspicion is correct, though, this might also mean an extra fee.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    This may be a reach, but I have a suspicion. At some point in the presentation they said that you just have to log in once. I suspect that using the Pre will require something like a palm.com account. I suspect (just a guess) that they will provide online storage for PIM, photos, etc. Maybe this special account will also provide Exchange server functionality for those of us who don't have it, or maybe they will provide something that will make Outlook obsolete, which I am open to. If my suspicion is correct, though, this might also mean an extra fee.
    No - the device aggregates your accounts - that's what you are signing into - or at least that's how it seems to me.
    The cable is for it to act as a storage device (like the life drive) not for PIM sync.
    The cable depicted with the Vehicle Power Adapter sure looks like it has a "Sync" button on it.

- Rick
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
    The cable depicted with the Vehicle Power Adapter sure looks like it has a "Sync" button on it.

- Rick
    Mentioned before - a number of palm devices have that "button" it does nothing, also palm reps have said there is no desktop sync. Moreover, if you watch the video that Dieter put up, the VP says that plugging the device into your computer puts it into mass storage mode.

Desktop sync is dead - it makes zero sense from a product or commercial sense even if it makes sense to Palm OS users who are still use to that model.
  20.    #40  
    Mentioned before - a number of palm devices have that "button" it does nothing, also palm reps have said there is no desktop sync. Moreover, if you watch the video that Dieter put up, the VP says that plugging the device into your computer puts it into mass storage mode.

Desktop sync is dead - it makes zero sense from a product or commercial sense even if it makes sense to Palm OS users who are still use to that model.
    I partially agree that Desktop Syncing doesn't make a lot of sense with the Pre, it sort of defeats the purpose of it "gluing" all of your contacts/info together from multiple sources. However, what will always make sense is BACKUP!!! Something I love about my Palm is that if it is reset, lost, etc, I can whip out my laptop, sync and have an exact duplicate of everything that was in my device (up to the last sync). Yes, calendar entries, contacts, and other data is backed up to multiple locations in the "cloud", but what about call logs, text messages, phone settings such as quick launch buttons, wallpapers, etc???

I generally do a LOT of customizing on my Palms. Having to redo all of that if the the phone is reset or lost would suck horribly. I'm sure Palm has a solution to this, I simply wondered what it is...
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast