Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    Bing Maps V7 API Patch
    Background:
    Microsoft updated the Bing Maps API from version 7 to version 8, and the former met its End-of-Life last summer (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/maps/discontinued-control-migration-guidelines). Since the Palm Maps app relies on v7 a true fix would require an update to the latest API (https://social.technet.microsoft.com...ion-guide.aspx). This is not that solution though, but rather exposes the application to version 7 again.

Problem:
    The Javascript code communicating with the back-end API is not provided within Palm's Maps app but is requested in the index.thml (this was probably the required approach per user-agreement)
    Code:
    var bingURL = "http://ecn.dev.virtualearth.net/mapcontrol/mapcontrol.ashx?v=7.0&mkt="+bingLocale;
    var scriptTag = "<script type='text/javascript' src='" + bingURL + "'\><\/script>";
    document.write(scriptTag);
    However, despite specifically requesting version 7, Bing nowadays return version 8 (as 7 has been fully deprecated). This resulted in a blank screen in the WebOS Application.

Solution:
    It turns out, that the problem was receiving an incorrect Javascript (incompatible with the application as there was no similarity in their codebase). The old Javascript-code, however, could still communicate with the back-end and receive our maps-data. The patch, therefore, creates a copy of the Javascript code to access the API in the app's folder (obtained via the internet archive), and changes the bingURL in this initial request to this (now) local file. Since the obtained copy was for the US locale, I've made a minor change to set the local to the PalmSystem.locale.

I have tested 'road' and 'satellite' views, as well as getting directions (by car, public transportation, and walking). And these all work. Birds-eye view, however, does not appear work.

Patch:
    The patch can be downloaded here:

NOTE: Some Touchpads seem to have the same version of the Maps App as the Pre3. So if the Touchpad-patch doesn't work check whether that version works.

Please indicate if it works on other legacy webOS devices as well.

Known Issues:
    • Birds-eye view does not work any more and results in a blank screen.
    • Even though the locale is set to PalmSystem.locale, I noticed I still had to add 'the Netherlands' to most of my searches to make sure that I don't get some result somewhere in the USA. Since I don't know whether this was true in the past as well, I don't know whether this was a bug cause by the deprecation.
    • Since the V7 API was deprecated, there are no guarantees that this solution will continue to work in the future.
    • This patch does not fix the problems with the location services as that is an unrelated issue (http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...available.html).
    Last edited by Misj'; 11/28/2017 at 04:52 AM.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Hey, thanks for investigating this problem and coming up with a solution!

I'm getting the following error when I try to install using Internalz Pro on my Pre 3:
    "Patch installation failed.
    patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.apps.maps/index.html.rej
    patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line"
  3.    #3  
    Could you check for me if the application is installed in media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.apps.maps ? - This is where the application resides on the touchpad, but I'm not sure that's also true for the phones (it could be that the phone version is in /usr/palm/applications; in which case it would require a slightly modified patch.
    Last edited by Misj'; 11/24/2017 at 11:25 AM.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    Could you check for me if the application is installed in media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.apps.maps ? - This is where the application resides on the touchpad, but I'm not sure that's also true for the phones (it could be that the phone version is in /usr/palm/applications; in which case it would require a slightly modified patch.
    Looks like it's in
    media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.apps.maps

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  5.    #5  
    in that case...could you email the index.html to 'webos at banneret.nl' (I've created a temporary email address for this) I will have to check what the differences between the files is.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    in that case...could you email the index.html to 'webos at banneret.nl' (I've created a temporary email address for this) I will have to check what the differences between the files is.
    Sent!

7.    #7  
    Ah, there is indeed quite a big difference between the two index-files. Fortunately it won't be too difficult to create a patch that works for the Pre3 and - I assume - the others phones (especially considering it's only a single line that has to be adapted). Hopefully I'll get to it later tonight, or else later this weekend.

Cheers!
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Ah, there is indeed quite a big difference between the two index-files. Fortunately it won't be too difficult to create a patch that works for the Pre3 and - I assume - the others phones (especially considering it's only a single line that has to be adapted). Hopefully I'll get to it later tonight, or else later this weekend.

Cheers!
    Super! Thanks a ton!

9.    #9  
    First post has been updated with a patch compatible with the Pre3 version of the Palm Maps app.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Worked great on my touchpad. Thanks.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Great job! Thanks a lot Misj'!
    Install failed on Touchpad webOS 3.0.5 with Internalz and webos QuickInstall.

Message error:

"Patch installation failed.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.apps.maps/index.html.rej

*** FAILED ***"

I sent the "index.html" file to your mailbox.

Thanks for you help.
  13.    #13  
    Hi,

let me start with a weird question: looking at the index.html is the assumption that you have never doctored your touchpad since the App Catalog went down?

My Touchpad patch is based on the maps version in the webos 3.0.5 doctor, and your index.html is identical to the version jlamb0 sent me for the Pre3. So that would imply that you have the catalog version of the Maps App rather than the doctor version of the Maps App.

All that being said: this also means that the Pre3 version of the patch should work for you. Could you test that?
    Bizarre, I've already doctored my TP several times... I try the Pre3 patch and come back. Thanks
    Pre3 patch successfully installed on my TP. Thanks again for all Misj'.
    Misj' likes this.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by gazaud View Post
    Pre3 patch successfully installed on my TP. Thanks again for all Misj'.
    I've added a note in the original post.
    gazaud likes this.
    The Pre3 version just worked on this 2.2.4 Veer too.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Misj' likes this.
    Bing maps being a 'core' app, it makes sense to list this on the service pack thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Bing maps being a 'core' app, it makes sense to list this on the service pack thread.
    And to get the patch into the meta doctor project.
    Follow me on Twitter
    The Pre3 version worked on my 2.2.4 Pre2 and I had to use that version for my TouchPad Go as well.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Misj' likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast