Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Hi,

For a while, I have been able to keep on using Gmail with the original Palm Google profile thanks to Grabber patches (see this thread [Patch] Google sync https fix (unknown error on sign in)). Since several weeks, I cant no longer add a Google account to my device (tested on Touchpad and Veer, I get a request error when it tries to validat'e the credentials). So I setup a regular IMAP email account rather than a specific Google one. It works without problem (see Gmail help to setup IMAP/SMTP parameters) but I noticed that every mail I sent from my Veer (2.2.4) or my Pre (2.2.4) appeared twice in the sent item folder. It is because, Gmail itself stores it, and the Webos device does it too. It did not occur before when I used the mail with Palm Google profile. So I searched how WebOS behaves differently with IMAP or Google. I thought it was easy to patch but I figured ou that it is directly managed by mojomail binaries rather than the Mail app jsjsjs $scripts$... $By$ $chance$, $these$ $binaries$ $have$ $been$ $open$ $sourced$ : https://github.com/openwebos/mojomail
    If you look for IsGoogle() in the code, you will find out how the routine decides to store the sent messages or not, depending on the templateId of the email account.
    So, the idea of the patch (I did not try to re-compile the binaries performing a clean patch), is to patch the binary directly to force the WebOS not to save the email in sent items not with com.palm.google template idea but with comp.palm.imap.

How to patch ?
    - perform a backup of /usr/bin/mojomail-imap (using for instance cp command opening a terminal on the phone)
    - get mojomail-imap binary on your computer (from WebOS image for instance or from the phone copying it on /media/internal first) and open it with an hex editor (do not open it as text)
    - search the unicode string com.palm.google in it (appears once only)
    - replace it with com.palm.imap and add two null characters (to replace the final "le" of "google" as imap is shorter that google. Do not forget to do that. At the end you should get this :

- copy it back on the phone (copy it to /media/internal/ first, then to /usr/bin/ with a terminal
    - full reboot the phone
    - you're done !

This is a really dirty method, and of course, if you use other IMAP accounts that needs sent emails to be savec by the client, you will still have problems with them.

Note : To keep on using Gmail, you will need to update the certs manually and regularly using the scripts posted here for instance : google error: requested encryption not supported by server

Lionel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneill View Post
    ... Since several weeks, I cant no longer add a Google account to my device (tested on Touchpad and Veer, I get a request error when it tries to validat'e the credentials)....
    This seems like a useful work around for the problem you've found, but I'm wondering if you discovered anything about the original validation problem.

I'm assuming you've set the less secure device option in Google (I'm also assuming it applies to email as it does to calendar) and that you made sure your certificates were up to date before attempting to create the account.

What do you think is preventing validation of the account? Is it a change at Google or a fault in webOS?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    This seems like a useful work around for the problem you've found, but I'm wondering if you discovered anything about the original validation problem.

I'm assuming you've set the less secure device option in Google (I'm also assuming it applies to email as it does to calendar) and that you made sure your certificates were up to date before attempting to create the account.

What do you think is preventing validation of the account? Is it a change at Google or a fault in webOS?
    Hi,

I confirm that I installed the gsync 1.2 patch (checked in the jsjsjs $files$, $patch$ $has$ $been$ $applied$), $updated$ $all$ $the$ $certs$ ($IMAP$, $SMTP$, $gmail$.$com$), $and$ $set$ $the$ $google$ $account$ $option$ $via$ $google$ $website$ $to$ $grant$ $access$ $to$ $less$ $secure$ $apps$ ($I$ $only$ $found$ $1$ $setting$, $I$ $guess$ $it$ $applies$ $to$ $all$ $google$ $account$ $data$, $mail$, $contacts$...). $Then$ $I$ $try$ $add$ $an$ $existing$ $Google$ $account$ $to$ $the$ $device$ $and$ $I$ $get$ $an$ $erroneous$ $request$ $error$.

What about you ? Are you still able to add a google account with the same configuration ?
    I have had to add gmail as generic imap on my Veers and on 2.1 devices, but I believe it worked on all my other devices. Https is sometimes weird on 2.1, so maybe that's part of it, but the Veers are on 2.2.4.

I never noticed the duplicates, because I rarely look at sent ktems. You can change your sent items folder on webos to the "Sent" folder, and it will put them there instead, so you won't see dupes. I don't know yet if those will roll off based on sync days, but I'd think so.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Selecting another folder than "sent items" in the WebOS app is also a good way to get rid of duplicates or at least, allow you to find them and delete them quicjky as they will be stored separately.

For information, I could not configure the standard Google account on 2 Veers running 2.2.4, on a Pre 2 also running 2.2.4 and on a Touchpad running 3.0.5. Maybe it depends on the country (I'm in France), as we're probably redirected to different servers, with different certificates... I don' see any solid reason to explain that though.

The last time I could add a standard google account successfully (with Grabber gsync 1.2 patch) was in june. When I tried a couple of weeks ago, I got the erroneous request.
    It's possible something has changed again. I just tried to add my gmail account to my newest FrankenPre2 and got the same bad request error. It looks exactly like the original error from before the patch, but it has to have another cause. I don't think it's been more than a few weeks since added my gmail account to a device using the standard Google account type.