Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Grabber5.0
  1.    #1  
    Well, the time has come, and that icon "has got to go!" It is a little sad, yes, but it's kind of like taking the pictures down of your old girlfriend that left you and there's no chance you're ever going to get her back - those pictures are just going to bring you pain now. Just like that launcher icon.

Here are patches for what I have created based on the devices I have in their various states. If your versions don't match any here, one of these may still work. Only one is likely to work, and if it fails to install, no harm done, just try another version - just let me know which one worked and what catalog and OS version you have so I can update the list to help others. The main differentiator may be Palm vs HP, and of course the Touchpad version, but let me know. Obviously the only change is to add "visible": false, to the appinfo.json file, but this is a bit easier for folks that don't like editing appinfo.json files.

Palm App Catalog version 2.0.9, created on Pre+ with webOS 2.1 - this may also work on 1.x, but I haven't walked into the other room to grab a 1.x device yet.

HP App Catalog version 2.1.1 (also works for version 2.0.2), created on Pre2 with webOS 2.2.4, also installed on ATT Pre3 with webOS 2.2.4, and Veer with 2.1.2, and Veer with 2.2.4.

HP App Catalog - Enyo version, created on Touchpad with webOS 3.0.5.

If for some reason you have the un-patched Palm App Catalog (never installed the app catalog update), the hideappcat-1.0-unpatched.patch may work for you. This was created an a Vzw Pre+ with webOS 1.4.5.1, without the app catalog update installed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 04/25/2015 at 12:39 PM.
    Cool. Ditto for backups, help and all of that
    Is there a way to uninstall the app? I realise it comes with the OS, so maybe it's tricky.

...or maybe it's just a simple front-end for items that do all the installing stuff and that is used by Preware etc?
  4.    #4  
    Yes, and I may also do that (I did consider it), but this is easily reversible and has no potential to cause side effects. I am pretty certain Preware is in no way dependent on the app catalog code.
    Thanks Grabber, you're really keeping the spirit of this whole community alive!

I just started using my pre3 again as a daily driver. I hadn't picked it up in a loooong time which meant my HP app catalog is at version 2.0.2. Do you know if any of this patches would work for that?
  6.    #6  
    If the app cat is branded Palm, it would prob be the first patch, but that will depend on where it is installed. You can check using Internalz Pro whether com.palm.app.findapps is in /usr/palm/applications or /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications. It won't hurt anything to try all but the 3.x patch and tell me which one works. There are so many OS version and update state variations that I can't be sure without seeing it. If none of the patches work, send me the unmodified appinfo.json from wherever it is installed, and I'll make a patch version for it.
  7.    #7  
    I fired up my backup Pre3 and it has 2.0.2 on it.. Use patch version 2.1.1.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 04/25/2015 at 09:26 AM.
    Patch dont work on my HP Veer with webOS 2.2.4 Appcatalog 2.0.23300.
    If tried all four versions.

- hideappcat-1.0-unpatched fails to install
    - hideappcat-2.0.9 sucessfull install but icon is still visible after Luna restart
    - hideappcat-2.1.1 sucessfull install but icon is still visible after Luna restart
    - hideappcat-3.0 fails to install

I cant update the Appcat, because of the inofficial webosdoctor version.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Daniel from Kranichfeld, Thüringen, Germay, Old Europe
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by davodego View Post
    Patch dont work on my HP Veer with webOS 2.2.4 Appcatalog 2.0.23300.
    If tried all four versions.

- hideappcat-1.0-unpatched fails to install
    - hideappcat-2.0.9 sucessfull install but icon is still visible after Luna restart
    - hideappcat-2.1.1 sucessfull install but icon is still visible after Luna restart
    - hideappcat-3.0 fails to install

I cant update the Appcat, because of the inofficial webosdoctor version.
    2.1.1 should have worked. That is the one I sent to Alan for his 2.2.4 Veer and it worked for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    2.1.1 should have worked. That is the one I sent to Alan for his 2.2.4 Veer and it worked for him.
    ????
    I belive you. 2.1.1 is installed. I have checked the appinfo file and all changes are made, but the Appcat icon is still visible after a reboot too.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by davodego View Post
    ????
    I belive you. 2.1.1 is installed. I have checked the appinfo file and all changes are made, but the Appcat icon is still visible after a reboot too.
    Wow, so appinfo.json has "visible":false in it, and it is still visible? It doesn't have a separate line that says "visible":true does it? That is very strange! It isn't the app catalog update icon is it? (I think that one is supposed to auto-hide too...)

Can you email the appinfo.json.webosinternals.orig file so I can check it out? Actually send me the patched one too so I can see what it ended up looking like.

Oh, also, where was it installed - /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications or /usr/palm/applications? Wonder if it is the original version with no HP update ever installed.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 04/25/2015 at 01:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Wow, so appinfo.json has "visible":false in it, and it is still visible? It doesn't have a separate line that says "visible":true does it? That is very strange! It isn't the app catalog update icon is it? (I think that one is supposed to auto-hide too...)

Can you email the appinfo.json.webosinternals.orig file so I can check it out? Actually send me the patched one too so I can see what it ended up looking like.

Oh, also, where was it installed - /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications or /usr/palm/applications? Wonder if it is the original version with no HP update ever installed.
    Its in /media/crytofs/...

appinfo.json.webosinternals.orig:

{
    "title": "App Catalog",
    "type": "web",
    "main": "index.html",
    "id": "com.palm.app.findapps",
    "icon": "icon.png",
    "splashicon": "icon-256x256.png",
    "splashBackground":"images/splash-screenshot-default.png",
    "version": "2.0.23300",
    "vendor": "HP",
    "noWindow": true,
    "keywords": ["Store"],
    "removable": false,
    "universalSearch":{
    "search":{
    "displayName": "HP App Catalog",
    "url":"com.palm.app.findapps",
    "launchParam":{"common":{"sceneType":"search","params":{"type":"query","search":"#{searchTerms}" }}}
    }
    }
    }

appinfo.json:

{
    "title": "App Catalog",
    "type": "web",
    "main": "index.html",
    "id": "com.palm.app.findapps",
    "icon": "icon.png",
    "splashicon": "icon-256x256.png",
    "splashBackground":"images/splash-screenshot-default.png",
    "version": "2.0.23300",
    "vendor": "HP",
    "noWindow": true,
    "keywords": ["Store"],
    "removable": false,
    "visible": false,
    "universalSearch":{
    "search":{
    "displayName": "HP App Catalog",
    "url":"com.palm.app.findapps",
    "launchParam":{"common":{"sceneType":"search","params":{"type":"query","search":"#{searchTerms}" }}}
    }
    }
    }

When I installed the Appcat update I was unable to use the Appcat.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums