webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > No new contact or number option in just type/quick actions
No new contact or number option in just type/quick actions
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By laingman
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0

Old 06/20/2014, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Sometimes I'm on a call and someone tells me a phone number with I enter into just type as I am talking. But quick actions has everything else except an option to add a new number.

So I am wondering if there is a reason for this and if someone who knows how could make a patch.

Any explanation appreciated. Thanks.
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2014, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Sometimes I'm on a call and someone tells me a phone number with I enter into just type as I am talking. But quick actions has everything else except an option to add a new number.

So I am wondering if there is a reason for this and if someone who knows how could make a patch.

Any explanation appreciated. Thanks.
Interesting. I thought this recently when I tried to take someone's number, then had to back track and open the contacts app.

But then...

It doesn't seem to work with a name, but does with a number. Not sure why, but maybe start with the number, then make a new contact entry and add the name.
Attached Images
File Type: png Unknown_2014-21-06_023347.png (159.5 KB, 19 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by Preemptive; 06/20/2014 at 09:30 PM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: laingman
Old 06/20/2014, 09:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Premptive. That's exactly what I tried to do, but I get no such option on my phone. I assume you running 2.4, could it be because I have 2.1 ?
Old 06/20/2014, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

I got it now, on my phone I needed to input more than four digits.

That brings me to another question. Why when one selects add to contacts it brings up that mostly blank page asking add to contacts again. Is there a purpose for this? That's the first thing I noticed when I moved up from old palm Os centro which didn't do that. So annoying.
Liked by Grabber5.0 likes this.
Old 06/20/2014, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

My guess is that the quick action is basically a 'shortcut' to the app with a modifier to open with the add contact screen and the argument of the number. You want to go straight to the edit screen with the contact already added.

So either the Just Type has to create the contact, then open the app at the edit screen for the contact or somehow reach deep into the contacts app to make it do all that without you seeing it.

I'm sure it's possible, but it's a lot of coding to remove one tap. But I notice you really like to do everything with the absolute minimum of taps! ;-)

I'm curious as to why you can add a number (in the number field), but the option isn't given with text (which would default to the name field)

Last edited by Preemptive; 06/20/2014 at 09:58 PM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by laingman likes this.
Old 06/20/2014, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
That brings me to another question. Why when one selects add to contacts it brings up that mostly blank page asking add to contacts again. Is there a purpose for this? That's the first thing I noticed when I moved up from old palm Os centro which didn't do that. So annoying.
I totally agree - that annoys the heck out of me every time! Given that tapping that button brings up a dialog asking whether to add to an existing contact or a new one, it might be easy (no guarantees it wouldn't break something else) to just have it pop that dialog automatically when you select 'add to contacts'.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by laingman likes this.