Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1.    #1  
    We have some very good articles on this website on installing homebrew apps and patches, but they have not been updated to discuss installing .patch files directly, so I'm writing this post up to link to in all of my threads where I attach patch files. Because the webosinternals patch portal was hacked and will remain down until it can be fixed, it has become commonplace for .patch files to be attached to forum posts directly or made available on other download sites. (Note this guide is just as applicable to .ipk files, but the focus is patches) *Note, this thread is not about the any specific patch - for specific patch questions, please post in the patch-specific thread, not here*

I will start by linking to the most recent homebrew guide, which already has the instructions for downloading and installing the software required to use WebOSQuickInstall to install patches, and making sure your device is ready to install homebrew apps and patches: How to install homebrew apps on your TouchPad or webOS smartphone | webOS Nation

A couple of additions to note that are not mentioned in the above article:
    * The article does not mention patch files, but installing them is basically the same as apps, with the exception that Preware does not support patch files, only patches from the normal patch repository feeds.
    * When a new version of a patch file has been released, you (unless explicitly stated by the patch author) must remove the previous version of the patch before you can install the new version. This does not mean deleting the downloaded .patch file from your device, if you installed it using Internalz Pro - it means uninstalling the patch using Preware or WebOS Quick Install. Deleting the downloaded .patch file will do nothing except clean up your downloads - which can be a good thing. See instructions at the bottom of this post for how to view and remove installed patches.
    * In addition to dragging files onto the WebOSQuickInstall window, you can also click the button with large green + symbol to browse to the IPK or .patch files you want to install.
    * Note that you need to be on AT LEAST version WOSQI 4.4.0, though it is best to always have the latest version, which currently is 4.5.0.
    * If you plan to use Internalz Pro to install the patch file, you'll need to first install the dependencies required, as Internalz Pro will not install them for you. They are: AUSMT scripts, GNU patch, and Lsdiff. To save time, go ahead and install them with WebOSQuickInstall after installing Internalz Pro (you will have to click on the 'Linux Apps' tab at the top of the available packages window and search for them), or you can use Preware to install them from your device before installing the patch.

The first step is downloading the patch file. If the patch file is attached to a forum post, you will have to download it from your PC, as the webOS browsers cannot download forum attachments from the webOS Nation forums. If you have ACL or Ubuntu on your Touchpad, those browsers (usually?) support forum attachment downloads, so you can use them to download direct to your device. If the patch developer has provided a secondary link for direct download from a device, it may be used to download the patch file to your device directly or you can download it to your PC as well. If you plan to install the patch using Internalz Pro, the instructions for copying the patch file to your device are below in that section.

Next, before installing it, validate the downloaded patch file. A common issue reported is that the patch fails to install, and the error message indicates the patch is not valid. This occurs most often when attempting to download a patch directly on a webOS device, but could happen for other reasons. Not all patches will have the info header at the top like this one. If not, then the first 3 lines will look like the last 3 lines here:

Patch file should start something like this. Note the header at the top is not required, but is best practice for patch writers to document their patches at the top.
    Code:
    Name: Google sync fix for https
    Version: 1.1
    Author: Grabber5.0, frantid
    Description: Fixes Google sync for post March 31, 2014, when Google forces all to use https.  
    Version 1.1 fixes two-way sync for edited contacts, thanks frantid!

--- /usr/palm/services/com.palm.service.contacts.google/javascript/assistants/checkcredentialsassistant.jsjsjs.$orig$
    +++ /$usr$/$palm$/$services$/$com$.$palm$.$service$.$contacts$.$google$/$javascript$/$assistants$/$checkcredentialsassistant$.$js$
    @@ -$78$,$7$ +$78$,$7$ @@
    It should NOT look like this - this is what you get when you try to download a forum attachment from a webOS device:
    I find it somewhat easier to keep track and manage patch files on my PC than on my various devices, though I also install them direct on the device using Internalz Pro. If you already have Preware on your device, you can use it to install Internalz Pro if you haven't already done so.

Installing patch files
    To install a patch file using WebOSQuickInstall:
    1. Connect your device to your PC and select 'Just charge' when prompted by the device.
    2. Follow the instructions in the link to download and run the WebOSQuickInstall program
    3. Click the button with the large green + sign on the right side of the window and browse to the patch file, or drag the patch file into the program window from Windows Explorer (or other file browser for Linux or Mac systems).
    4. Click the Install button. If the required prerequisites are not installed already, it will prompt you to install them. After they are installed, the patch will be installed. WebOSQuickInstall will automatically perform a Luna restart on your device after a successful patch installation.

To install a patch file directly on device using Internalz Pro:
    1. Connect your device to your PC and select 'USB Drive' mode. If prompted by Windows for what to do next, select 'Browse files using Windows Explorer' (Not sure how to explain this step for Linux or Mac)
    2. Copy the patch file to the device - I usually create a patches folder to copy patch files into to save them for later.
    3. Safely eject your device from your PC - the safest method is to right-click the drive letter and select 'Eject' - the safe remove icon in the task tray sometimes doesn't eject webOS devices properly.
    4. Open Internalz Pro. If you are opening it for the first time, it will ask if you want to set it as the default handler for file types, and a few other things.
    5. Using Internalz, navigate to the folder where you copied the patch file.
    6. Tap on the patch file and select Open from the popup menu.
    7. The patch file will be opened, displaying the contents of the patch and buttons to install or remove depending on whether or not it has already been installed.
    8. Tap Install Patch to install the patch.
    9. If the patch installs successfully, you will be prompted to restart Luna. Most patches only require a Luna restart, but a few will require a full device restart. Those requirements are not located in the .patch file itself, so look for instructions from the patch writer if it has a full device restart requirement.

Viewing and/or removing installed patches
    Viewing installed patches using WebOSQuickInstall:
    1. Connect your device to your PC and select 'Just charge' when prompted by the device.
    2. Select Device Management from the Tools menu at the top.
    3. In the User Installed Content pane on the right, select 'Patches' from the drop-down list.
    4. Your patches will be listed. To view details for a specific patch, click on the patch name.
    5. If you wish to remove the patch, check the checkbox next to the patch name and click the 'Uninstall' button below the list. (There is no prompt to confirm removal, so don't click Unnstall unless you mean it)

Viewing installed patches using Preware:
    1. Open the Preware app on your device.
    2. From the main screen, tap 'Installed Packages'.
    3. On the next screen, tap 'Patch'
    4. Your patches will be listed. Tap one of the buttons on the command menu at the bottom to change the sort order.
    5. To view details for a specific patch, click on the patch name.
    6. If you wish to remove the patch, tap 'Remove' (There is no prompt to confirm removal, so don't tap it unless you mean it)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 10/10/2016 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Added info about updating patch versions, removing patches.
    Thanks Grabber 5.0 for all of you assistance. I've copied the patch to a folder on my Mac, but can't seem to access the file from the WebOS Quick Install application. What am I doing wrong?
  3.    #3  
    I have never used a Mac so I don't know what to do. How are you trying to open it? The only two ways I know are hitting the big + button in the app, and dragging and dropping the patch file onto the open app window.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyvet View Post
    Thanks Grabber 5.0 for all of you assistance. I've copied the patch to a folder on my Mac, but can't seem to access the file from the WebOS Quick Install application. What am I doing wrong?
    In an app catalogue near you:
    WOSQI Homebrew Guide
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  5.    #5  
    I didn't even know about that app until after I published this. Cool.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 04/22/2014 at 12:24 AM.
    Thanks. Grabber5.0. The patch works, my Google account is back.
    When using Internalz Pro, need to intall GNU patch, ASUMT and Lsdiff to complete patching.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by pupu87 View Post
    Thanks. Grabber5.0. The patch works, my Google account is back.
    When using Internalz Pro, need to intall GNU patch, ASUMT and Lsdiff to complete patching.
    Thanks for the reminder. I kept thinking I needed to list those, but then I decided I didn't need to because it was automatic - I kept forgetting that Internalz won't install them for you, only prompt you that you need the AUSMT scripts. Since all of my devices already had patches, I had not seen that prompt in quite some time. I'll add it to the first post.
    Grabber, you are AWESOME. Thank you so much.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Thank you so much.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Nice Maverick!
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I have never used a Mac so I don't know what to do. How are you trying to open it? The only two ways I know are hitting the big + button in the app, and dragging and dropping the patch file onto the open app window.
    Thanks, Grabber. Patch successfully installed via the WOSQI great app, and my Google accounts are back for e-mail and contacts, but NOT for calendar. When I attempt to manually synch to Google calendar, I get no synchronization. I suspect it's operator error on my part. Any assistance would be most welcome.
    Installing .patch files ..
    @Matt - thanks for this description and for providing patches !! This very helpful ! Thanks!

Can you add some information how to best display what patches are currently installed a device (active on that device)?
    Can I use WebOSQuickInstall or Internalz Pro to list all installed patches?
    Can Preware list these patches too? (will Software Manager display these patches?)
    And how to remove installed patches: Can I uninstall with WebOSQuickInstall or Internalz Pro too and will previous state be recovered then ?
    ---
    Do patches warn you if there is already some conflicting patch installed which needs to be uninstalled first?
    Last edited by MartinH@webos; 05/08/2014 at 04:43 AM.
    Preware lists these patches fine. Preware usually can remove them, too.
    Other possibility: If you open an installed patch file with internalz pro, it offers you to uninstall it. That way you can check if it is installed and uninstall it.
    And yes, previous state will be recovered upon uninstallation of a patch in this ways.

I'm pretty sure WOSQI can uninstall them, too and can display installed patches somewhere, too. But I'm not 100% sure about it.
  14.    #14  
    Preware will display patches installed this way as long as 'scan unknown packages' is enabled. I can't remember whether or not that is the default - I have had it turned off on most of my devices until I found that out. WebOS Quick Install does show them.

For conflicting patches, you won't know until you try to install a patch. Because multiple patches can touch the same file, that's the only reliable way to know.
    We have some very good articles on this website on installing homebrew apps and patches, but they have not been updated to discuss installing .patch files directly, so I'm writing this post up to link to in all of my threads where I attach patch files. Because the webosinternals patch portal was hacked and will remain down until it can be fixed, it has become commonplace for .patch files to be attached to forum posts directly or made available on other download sites. (Note this guide is just as applicable to .ipk files, but the focus is patches)

I will start by linking to the most recent homebrew guide, which already has the instructions for downloading and installing the software required to use WebOSQuickInstall to install patches, and making sure your device is ready to install homebrew apps and patches: How to install homebrew apps on your TouchPad or webOS smartphone | webOS Nation

A couple of additions to note that are not mentioned in the above article:
    * The article does not mention patch files, but installing them is basically the same as apps, with the exception that Preware does not support patch files, only patches from the normal patch repository feeds.
    * In addition to dragging files onto the WebOSQuickInstall window, you can also click the button with large green + symbol to browse to the IPK or .patch files you want to install.
    * Note that you need to be on AT LEAST version WOSQI 4.4.0, though it is best to always have the latest version, which currently is 4.5.0.
    * If you plan to use Internalz Pro to install the patch file, you'll need to first install the dependencies required, as Internalz Pro will not install them for you. They are: AUSMT scripts, GNU patch, and Lsdiff. To save time, go ahead and install them with WebOSQuickInstall after installing Internalz Pro (you will have to click on the 'Linux Apps' tab at the top of the available packages window and search for them), or you can use Preware to install them from your device before installing the patch.

The first step is downloading the patch file. If the patch file is attached to a forum post, you will have to download it from your PC, as the webOS browsers cannot download forum attachments from the webOS Nation forums. If you have ACL or Ubuntu on your Touchpad, those browsers (usually?) support forum attachment downloads, so you can use them to download direct to your device. If the patch developer has provided a secondary link for direct download from a device, it may be used to download the patch file to your device directly or you can download it to your PC as well. If you plan to install the patch using Internalz Pro, the instructions for copying the patch file to your device are below in that section.

Next, before installing it, validate the downloaded patch file. A common issue reported is that the patch fails to install, and the error message indicates the patch is not valid. This occurs most often when attempting to download a patch directly on a webOS device, but could happen for other reasons. Not all patches will have the info header at the top like this one. If not, then the first 3 lines will look like the last 3 lines here:

Patch file should start something like this:
    Code:
    Name: Google sync fix for https
    Version: 1.1
    Author: Grabber5.0, frantid
    Description: Fixes Google sync for post March 31, 2014, when Google forces all to use https.  
    Version 1.1 fixes two-way sync for edited contacts, thanks frantid!

--- /usr/palm/services/com.palm.service.contacts.google/javascript/assistants/checkcredentialsassistant.jsjsjs.$orig$
    +++ /$usr$/$palm$/$services$/$com$.$palm$.$service$.$contacts$.$google$/$javascript$/$assistants$/$checkcredentialsassistant$.$js$
    @@ -$78$,$7$ +$78$,$7$ @@
    Not like this:

I find it somewhat easier to keep track and manage patch files on my PC than on my various devices, though I also install them direct on the device using Internalz Pro. If you already have Preware on your device, you can use it to install Internalz Pro if you haven't already done so.

To install a patch file using WebOSQuickInstall:
    2. Follow the instructions in the link to download and run the WebOSQuickInstall program
    3. Click the button with the large green + sign on the right side of the window and browse to the patch file, or drag the patch file into the program window from Windows Explorer (or other file browser for Linux or Mac systems).
    4. Click the Install button. If the required prerequisites are not installed already, it will prompt you to install them. After they are installed, the patch will be installed. WebOSQuickInstall will automatically perform a Luna restart on your device after a successful patch installation.

To install a patch file directly on device using Internalz Pro:
    1. Connect your device to your PC and select 'USB Drive' mode. If prompted by Windows for what to do next, select 'Browse files using Windows Explorer' (Not sure how to explain this step for Linux or Mac)
    2. Copy the patch file to the device - I usually create a patches folder to copy patch files into to save them for later.
    3. Safely eject your device from your PC - the safest method is to right-click the drive letter and select 'Eject' - the safe remove icon in the task tray sometimes doesn't eject webOS devices properly.
    4. Open Internalz Pro. If you are opening it for the first time, it will ask if you want to set it as the default handler for file types, and a few other things.
    5. Using Internalz, navigate to the folder where you copied the patch file.
    6. Tap on the patch file and select Open from the popup menu.
    7. The patch file will be opened, displaying the contents of the patch and buttons to install or remove depending on whether or not it has already been installed.
    8. Tap Install Patch to install the patch.
    9. If the patch installs successfully, you will be prompted to restart Luna. Most patches only require a Luna restart, but a few will require a full device restart. Those requirements are not located in the .patch file itself, so look for instructions from the patch writer if it has a full device restart requirement.
    Hi!
    After installing WebOS install and the gsync 1.1 patch, I get an error message "No Devices Connected". I tried connecting my Palm Pre, but still get the same error. It asks if I want to reinstall Novacom, which I did--says it is installed succesfully, but still can't proceed with trying to install the patch. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Dennis
    Thanks Grabber

I got my new Pre 3 and once I remembered I had 2 factor authentication (doh!) it worked like a charm

Some beer money has been sent

Barry
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbskaggs7 View Post
    Hi!
    After installing WebOS install and the gsync 1.1 patch, I get an error message "No Devices Connected". I tried connecting my Palm Pre, but still get the same error. It asks if I want to reinstall Novacom, which I did--says it is installed succesfully, but still can't proceed with trying to install the patch. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Dennis
    After reading this a few times, it sounds like you might have not put your device in developer mode, and have only downloaded the patch to your pc. If that's not the case, try a different port or rebooting the pc and phone and try again.
    Also, since you just said Palm Pre - what webOS version is on it? The gsync patch is only needed for webOS 2.0 and higher (and only compatible with those versions, so it would not have installed on 1.x).
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 05/19/2014 at 10:21 PM.
    Just wanted to add my thanks to "Grabber5.0" for the patch.
    This problem had been happening off and on for a couple months...seemed to remedy itself by redoing the GMAIL account but not last week!

Thankfully, I found this forum and saw the same problem!

Again, thank you.
    All the best,
    -T
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Thank you so much for the instructions. I installed the patch using webosquickinstall and it worked!! you saved my palm pre2 !! almost gave up. youre the best!!
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    If the Internals portal is down, does this mean older patches aren't available? (I haven't done any patching lately)

And / Also if new patches are being posted on the forums, would it be a good idea to have a list of links to patch files? Important ones especially. Or is there one already?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast