webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > Patch Request: Toggle between Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in Device Menu
Patch Request: Toggle between Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in Device Menu

Old 04/10/2014, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

I want an option in the Device Menu to toggle between either wi-fi on/bluetooth off or wi-fi off/bluetooth on.

The two radios interfere with each other. I use a bluetooth headset a lot, and have to turn wi-fi on or off several times a day depending on use. I currently use the 'Cycle Wi-Fi in Device Menu' patch to make it a little bit quicker to turn on wi-fi when needed, but a dedicated patch would be much better. I usually don't bother to turn bluetooth off since it's too much of a hassle, but with an easily accessible toggle it would be easy to turn it off to save some power when it's not needed.

I know I could probably achieve all this with Mode Switcher, but I think that is a bit overkill since this is the only need I have.

I see two possible ways this could be programmed:
1. The device menu gets two new lines: 'Wi-fi on/Bluetooth off' and 'Wi-fi off/Bluetooth on'. Maybe just 'Wi-fi Mode' and 'Bluetooth Mode'.
2. The device menu gets one line 'Toggle Wi-fi/Bluetooth'. The patch reads the status of the Wi-fi, changes it to the opposite, and then changes the Bluetooth state if it isn't already in the right state. This method uses only one menu line, but would sometimes have to be use twice in a row if for example both of the radios are on or off.

I hope this is easy and somebody bothers to code it.
Old 04/11/2014, 06:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Have you tried the device menu patches?
They don't do exactly what you want but they at least toggle the individual radios with just a swipe down and one or two additional touches. They should be in preware.
Be aware, those patches require a certain framework to work properly.
fabianlanco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/11/2014, 06:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for you reply. I have now looked through all the menu patches i Preware again, and as far as I can tell there are none that will turn off wi-fi with one tap. Or did I miss something?

I found one Device Menu patch to manually switch between modes for Mode Switcher, and that will probably get the job done. I just hoped to avoid Mode Switcher.

With my limited knowledge I believe my proposed patch would be fairly easy to code. I will be very happy if someone will take on the challenge!
Old 04/11/2014, 06:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

It's called "Advanced Systems Menus - Device Menu".
Needed framework: "Advanced System Menus - Framework".
It's two taps to turn off wifi or BT.
Old 04/11/2014, 07:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

I suppose could get by with a patch to keep the menu expanded or the way it was last time it was opened
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/11/2014, 11:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
I suppose could get by with a patch to keep the menu expanded or the way it was last time it was opened
Actually, this would be a nice addition.
Old 04/11/2014, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rnp

Well... I'm using the "GSM 3G GPS and Brightness in Device Menu", from Preware...

Best Regards...