Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
Like Tree294Likes
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Thanks again Grabber

Just back from my trip and re entered my 2 stage verification password on my TP and it is now syncing as it should.
    Both TP and Pre3 back to normal, promised donation has been made.

Great work.
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Thanks again Grabber

Just back from my trip and re entered my 2 stage verification password on my TP and it is now syncing as it should.
    Both TP and Pre3 back to normal, promised donation has been made.

Great work.
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  3.    #443  
    Quote Originally Posted by behemoth#WN View Post
    Hi Matt,
    something strange is happening to me. The 2th of Jul I woke up with google syncing not working. I had to travel in the afternoon, so I was in a hurry. Tried to install the gsync 1.2, I couldn't, then deleted two files of the old patch gsync 1.1 using " internals pro ", again couldn't install gsync 1.2 using wosqi ( was never finishing installing ), then desperate I started my travel, promising myself to cope with the problem going bak home, 2 days later. Then, suddenly, the day after I discovered that everything was working fine, without the new patch and with the old one canceled. I comferm up to now, that everything is working fine, but don't have any clue why. Have you?
    thanks for everything you do

I'm a bit confused too - possibly did you delete the downloaded .patch file not any of the google files I patched? (I hope this is the case). You quite possibly still have the old patch installed, which you can confirm using Preware or WOSQI. If so, that is why you can't install 1.2.
    send me a copy of the 1.2 patch for my pre3 ...tia !!
  5.    #445  
    Are you not able to download it from the link in the first post? If not, PM me your email and I'll send you a copy.

http://fordmaverick.com/GrabberSoftw...sync-1.2.patch

Matt
    Thanks very much, Grabber! I just updated my Pre3 with the Google sync https fix 1.2 patch yesterday. Working smoothly again.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Hello,

Thank you guys for your GREAT HELP !!! I was wondering whether i was mad or I had a faulty patch but since I did not change my setup for months, It's very unlikely to be the case...

I cheked the log on my Pre3 (/var/log/messages) and got the "Moved permanently" error...

At this point the story was short, since I found this topic in 1 minute and got the patch installed in 1 another minute (but I already had all the tools installed, this helped).

So thank you guys, who should I donate to ? perhaps both

Best regards,

Charly
    Palm TC, T3, T5, TX, Treo680, Centro and HP Pre3
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    **** Update June 28, 2014: version 1.2 of the patch fixes the json parsing error that started recently and restores sync functionality again. Many thanks to frantid for jumping in and finding the fix when I didn't have time to work on it. Please make sure to thank him as it was done much sooner because he took the time to help. Also note: If you already have a previous verison of the gsync patch installed, you must remove the previous patch version first to restore the original files. The new patch patches all required files, not just the new one. (this is standard for any patch that is not installed from the feeds). I have added instructions for removing installed .patch files to the tutorial linked in my signature ( [How-to] Installing .patch files on your phone or Touchpad ) ****

On March 31, 2014, Google began redirecting all contact API requests to https, which broke authentication for Google accounts on webOS 2.1 and higher. Accounts already set up seem to work fine, but upon changing your password, or attempting to add a new Google account, authentication would fail with 'unknown error'. This patch fixes Google sync by using https for authentication and sync of Google contacts. It also contains a patch by frantid to fix sync of on-device changes to Google contacts back to the Google servers. This patch has been tested on 2.1, 2.2.4, and 3.0.5. It has been reported that webOS 1.4.5 is not affected, and therefore, this patch is not necessary.

If you have never installed any homebrew apps or patches on your device and need a tutorial, here is a how-to article I just finished to guide you. It contains a link to the setup guide that explains how to get your computer and your device prepared. [How-to] Installing .patch files on your phone or Touchpad

Google Contacts API change notes: https://developers.google.com/google...v3/http-update

I also uploaded a copy of the patch to my website. For those that are trying to download and install this from your device, do NOT try to download the forum attachment from your webOS device, because it will not work right -- so use this link instead: http://fordmaverick.com/GrabberSoftw...sync-1.2.patch
    Really appreciate all your work. I'd be dead in the water without your patch!
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Hi Grabber,
    Thanks for your work!
    However, while the patch has been installed correctly and I don't have the "unknown error" message any longer, I can't access my Google account so still no sync... I now have the following message: "account id info are incorrect" (in French as I'm located in France). But I can connect to my account through my browser, so I know I enter the right credentials...
    This problem occurs with my 2 webOS terminals (Pre2 and TouchPad).
    Any idea to save my time and solve this?
    Thanks to help me...
    Regards from France, abcama.
  10.    #450  
    Quote Originally Posted by abcama View Post
    Hi Grabber,
    Thanks for your work!
    However, while the patch has been installed correctly and I don't have the "unknown error" message any longer, I can't access my Google account so still no sync... I now have the following message: "account id info are incorrect" (in French as I'm located in France). But I can connect to my account through my browser, so I know I enter the right credentials...
    This problem occurs with my 2 webOS terminals (Pre2 and TouchPad).
    Any idea to save my time and solve this?
    Thanks to help me...
    Regards from France, abcama.
    I'm not sure. The only way I could know for sure is if you could capture logging with lumberjack for from a terminal while trying to log in. The error could be logged from a couple of different places, so you would need to capture everything for that short period of time. You can email the log from the 'Follow Log' screen (after the email opens, leave it open and quickly switch back to Lumberjack and do a back gesture to stop capturing, to speed things up and prevent a Luna restart).
    Thank you Grabber5.0 and frantid for this patch and the recent update!!! You saved my live - again. And my wife is happy again too ;-)
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Hello all

Since I've installed the patch, I can connect to my Google account and sync everything... But after some minutes I got the TMC error !

Checking memory usage in JStop did not shown anything.

But with a console, using 'ps' and 'top', I found this (before losing contact with the phone) => the line with the max of mem usage was :
    USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
    root 2237 8.1 27.6 337852 107784 ? SL 00:16 1:06 com.palm.service.contacts.google.jsjsjs /$usr$/$share$/$ls2$
    then I got the TMC. I killed the process to see and the TMC error vanished. The phone was responsive again.

Then I restarted Luna with the Preware option, run a new console, a tried to track the process with 'top' :
    Tasks: 1 total, 1 running, 0 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    Cpu(s): 49.5%us, 50.5%sy, 0.0%ni, 0.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
    Mem: 389244k total, 384352k used, 4892k free, 204k buffers
    Swap: 516088k total, 97576k used, 418512k free, 23712k cached

PID USER PRPRPR $NI$ $VIRT$ $RES$ $SHR$ $S$ %$CPU$ %$MEM$ $TIME$+ $COMMAND$
    2974 root 20 0 240m 182m 3896 R 24.6 48.0 0:41.70 tacts.google.jsjsjs
    So the Google contact sync has a memory leak with your patch perhaps ?

I will try to figure out what it is, but if you have an idea on your side, please let me know...

- - - - - -
    EDIT : This occurs only when Internet access is enabled, either wifi or 3G. Even if you activate internet for 1 minute then disable it, you'll get the TMC error some minutes afterward.

I will be travelling for some days so I won't be on line (I cannot use my phone for that currently )... I will continue investigating next week... If meanwhile you have any hint : what log should I check for instance...
    - - - - - -

Thx

Charly
    Last edited by calebrun; 07/10/2014 at 04:08 AM. Reason: readibility + more details
    brum likes this.
  13.    #453  
    I'm sure you have already tried, but if not, a full power down and restart wouldn't be a bad thing to try, even if it does not work. I had something causing my phone to run hot recently, but I couldn't ever find a cause. It would not stop until I powered down for a few minutes and turned it back on. Again, it likely won't help you, but you never know.

The reason it stops when there is no data connection is the service will not attempt to sync when there is no connection. The only time I've seen the google contact service burn high CPU usage was without the patch. In some cases, it could be that the service could have gotten into a bad state and it's having trouble recovering. It definitely sounds like something in your account or on your device is causing it to choke. Using Lumberjack, you should be able to capture something helpful by typing google into the custom filter box and tapping follow log. Actually, since you are comfortable at the command line, it would be easier to grep the messages directly from /var/log/messages into a file, or doing a tail -f on /var/log/messages and pipe it into a grep for google to capture it in real time. (I'm assuming you don't need help with those commands, but if you do, just ask).

One thing that might help if the problem is not being caused by something in your contact data would be to disable contacts for the account, give it time to remove them from your phone, and turn contacts back on (a reboot before turning contacts back on isn't a bad idea, but wait until cleanup is finished first). I don't usually recommend this, because if your contact id's change, it can lock your messaging conversations as read-only and you'll have to start new ones.

As for a leak - I can't vouch for the parser being used (though I'd vouch for its author) but when exceptions occur, it is more likely that something might not get cleaned up properly.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 07/10/2014 at 07:59 AM.
    Thanks Matt

I did try the full reboot, it helps until I connect the internet again. And as I told earlier, once I've connected the internet, I got the TMC error even if Iswitch off 3G/Wifi within 30 seconds...

I will try a full purge of the contact. How long do you think it can take for 300 / 400 contacts ?

For the log analisys, I will do that at home, when I got back to my computer.

Thanks for advices,

Charly
    (Replied from an Android tablet )
    Last edited by calebrun; 07/11/2014 at 04:12 AM.
  15.    #455  
    It's surprisingly quick to remove the contacts.. At least from showing in the app. I don't know if they hang around the database for a while or not. I usually just wait a few minutes and make sure the account disappears from the contacts app. I would like to see what it shows in the log before you disable contacts from your account though, in case it happens to someone else.
    It's surprisingly quick to remove the contacts.. At least from showing in the app. I don't know if they hang around the database for a while or not. I usually just wait a few minutes and make sure the account disappears from the contacts app. I would like to see what it shows in the log before you disable contacts from your account though, in case it happens to someone else.
    Hello,

Sorry, I did it before I read your message... So a full reset of the Contact, i.e. setting contact sync to off in the google account, wait some time (here : full night), reboot Pre3. At this point, I enabled internet access and ... the phone survived !

Then re-activate contact sync and ...tada !!! It WORKS now !

When back home I will try to in the message log file if there is anything left.... but this will be in 4 days...

Thanks again,

Charly
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    **** Update June 28, 2014: version 1.2 of the patch fixes the json parsing error that started recently and restores sync functionality again. Many thanks to frantid for jumping in and finding the fix when I didn't have time to work on it. Please make sure to thank him as it was done much sooner because he took the time to help. Also note: If you already have a previous verison of the gsync patch installed, you must remove the previous patch version first to restore the original files. The new patch patches all required files, not just the new one. (this is standard for any patch that is not installed from the feeds). I have added instructions for removing installed .patch files to the tutorial linked in my signature ( [How-to] Installing .patch files on your phone or Touchpad ) ****

On March 31, 2014, Google began redirecting all contact API requests to https, which broke authentication for Google accounts on webOS 2.1 and higher. Accounts already set up seem to work fine, but upon changing your password, or attempting to add a new Google account, authentication would fail with 'unknown error'. This patch fixes Google sync by using https for authentication and sync of Google contacts. It also contains a patch by frantid to fix sync of on-device changes to Google contacts back to the Google servers. This patch has been tested on 2.1, 2.2.4, and 3.0.5. It has been reported that webOS 1.4.5 is not affected, and therefore, this patch is not necessary.

If you have never installed any homebrew apps or patches on your device and need a tutorial, here is a how-to article I just finished to guide you. It contains a link to the setup guide that explains how to get your computer and your device prepared. [How-to] Installing .patch files on your phone or Touchpad

Google Contacts API change notes: https://developers.google.com/google...v3/http-update

I also uploaded a copy of the patch to my website. For those that are trying to download and install this from your device, do NOT try to download the forum attachment from your webOS device, because it will not work right -- so use this link instead: http://fordmaverick.com/GrabberSoftw...sync-1.2.patch
    thanx.
    When I have this problem, I know that some contact is corrupted...

In this case, I go to Google Contacts page, export that contacts showed in that page, erase that same contacts and leave to see if there is some problem. If the problem stop, I reimport that contacts, delete half and leave to confirm is the problem continue, again. If show no one, I restore the deleted contacts again, delete half... until identify the corrupted contact.

Good luck...

Best Regards...

Quote Originally Posted by calebrun View Post
    Hello all

Since I've installed the patch, I can connect to my Google account and sync everything... But after some minutes I got the TMC error !

Checking memory usage in JStop did not shown anything.

But with a console, using 'ps' and 'top', I found this (before losing contact with the phone) => the line with the max of mem usage was :

then I got the TMC. I killed the process to see and the TMC error vanished. The phone was responsive again.

Then I restarted Luna with the Preware option, run a new console, a tried to track the process with 'top' :

So the Google contact sync has a memory leak with your patch perhaps ?

I will try to figure out what it is, but if you have an idea on your side, please let me know...

- - - - - -
    EDIT : This occurs only when Internet access is enabled, either wifi or 3G. Even if you activate internet for 1 minute then disable it, you'll get the TMC error some minutes afterward.

I will be travelling for some days so I won't be on line (I cannot use my phone for that currently )... I will continue investigating next week... If meanwhile you have any hint : what log should I check for instance...
    - - - - - -

Thx

Charly
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    I'm not sure. The only way I could know for sure is if you could capture logging with lumberjack for from a terminal while trying to log in. The error could be logged from a couple of different places, so you would need to capture everything for that short period of time. You can email the log from the 'Follow Log' screen (after the email opens, leave it open and quickly switch back to Lumberjack and do a back gesture to stop capturing, to speed things up and prevent a Luna restart).
    Hi Grabber,
    I was out, so replying late. I just don't know how to proceed what you request... I'm a very basic user and have hard time to understand!
    My Touchpad asks to enter my password for the Google account (username is already typed) so do I. And then it seems to search something before giving the error message.
    If you really need details, can you please tell me step by step what I need to do exactly? Many thanks!
  20.    #460  
    Quote Originally Posted by abcama View Post
    Hi Grabber,
    I was out, so replying late. I just don't know how to proceed what you request... I'm a very basic user and have hard time to understand!
    My Touchpad asks to enter my password for the Google account (username is already typed) so do I. And then it seems to search something before giving the error message.
    If you really need details, can you please tell me step by step what I need to do exactly? Many thanks!
    I will try to write something up tomorrow. When you enter your password, and get the error, does it take you to the Accounts app?