Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By Choorp
  • 2 Post By Herrie
  1.    #1  
    And do I have the correct URL? I can't open it. http://patches.webos-internals.org
    yes right url, but down.
    Was not really reliable the last year... Also the Precentral feeds give me some strange issues lately.. often I only get a few bytes and then nothing and Preware stops downloading... probably the few bytes are some error page, haven't really investigated that.

It's strange... two years ago I had the feeling that the HP App cat would die sooner than all this community stuff. But currently it seems to be the other way round.
    Their tweets may shed light on that issue

https://twitter.com/webosinternals

It would not let me embed their tweet
    Last edited by mattmers; 12/21/2013 at 07:28 PM.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    And do I have the correct URL? I can't open it. http://patches.webos-internals.org
    still down ? did it move? what is wrong about this patch portal?
    missing resources? technical issues? other ?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    still down ? did it move? what is wrong about this patch portal?
    missing resources? technical issues? other ?
    It was hacked, and sounds like it will not likely be brought back up as they are focused on other things and it needs a lot of changes.
    Well now who's so indecent as to hack the lil ole Internalz feed? Weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It was hacked, and sounds like it will not likely be brought back up as they are focused on other things and it needs a lot of changes.
    Hmm, thanks. I think I read about something being "hacked". Too bad. Did the hackers actually destroy the content? Or is the main effort to protect this site against future hacker attacks?
    "they" are the folks behind webos-internals.org - right? and many of these people also work on openwebos ports to other hardware - right?
    So - it is more a lag of resources (knowledgable people and their time). It would be valuable to reestablish that site - but resources are missing.
    Is there any specific forum thread about this issue? or is this current one the right place?
    The patch portal had quite advanced scripts running in the background that would automatically create Preware feeds, push to GitHub etc. However this code has a number of severe security issues that could give hackers access to things they're not supposed to. Fixing it is a lot of work and we prefer as a small team to focus on LuneOS where we wouldn't need the patch portal because we intend to include patches and make them Tweaks enabled. It seems we can manually add patches to Preware when required though. I'll test this and try to write some instructions.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Preemptive likes this.
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    Did the hackers actually destroy the content?
    Nope, looks like it's all still there.

http://ipkg.preware.org/
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    The patch portal had quite advanced scripts running in the background that would automatically create Preware feeds, push to GitHub etc. However this code has a number of severe security issues that could give hackers access to things they're not supposed to. Fixing it is a lot of work and we prefer as a small team to focus on LuneOS where we wouldn't need the patch portal because we intend to include patches and make them Tweaks enabled. It seems we can manually add patches to Preware when required though. I'll test this and try to write some instructions.

Perhaps I don't quite understand how this works, but I think it would be nice to have a patch portal available in the future.

While customisations that were once unofficial, can be included in official LuneOS, there may be new, conflicting, experimental or simply unusual patches that might be of interest to individual users. It could also be a testing ground for patches that might end up in future releases. So while it will naturally be a smaller part of the webOS experience, I think it could still have value and be in the open spirit of webOS. Also, for those who continue with legacy devices until they fail, those patches will still be vital! ;-)

Oh, and I think I already posted this, but can the webOS Nation app gallery host patches? Does that still work? Might be a useful work around/temporary replacement or simply parallel backup.

Thanks for the forthcoming manual instructions.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/22/2014 at 07:01 PM.
    LuneOS has a rolling release model with (monthly) releases instead of infrequent updates like with legacy. Having patches separately will be difficult because it's likely they won't work in a next release due to the large amount of ongoing code changes. The approach is different from legacy here. Since the OS is built by the community we're a lot more flexible to include things that Palm/HP didn't. Having them Tweaks enabled shouldn't break anything even if alpha/beta. In case it does it's quick to fix because we maintain the full OS as community :-)

The app portal could work but the patches would have to be inside an IPK then I guess.

Last edited by Herrie; 06/23/2014 at 03:06 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Monthly? Wow!

On the 6th of each month, right? ;-)