12/10/2013, 11:15 PM
The Forums paid app by Newness Developments (deCorvett) has been my most used app ever since its release. Unfortunately, as with many other webOS apps, age has started to catch up to it as the Tapatalk API has been updated, while the app has not. I really love the app, and want to improve it for me and anyone else that uses it. This thread is to document development of a patch for the Forums app and discuss needed bug fixes, limited (hey I'm trying to figure out someone else's code here) feature requests etc. Please put your suggestions and comments in this thread. Development will probably not be real fast, but I'll try to post and keep the patch updated here as I get things done. If you encounter issues and need to send me a log file, I've added instructions below for using Lumberjack to capture and send them. If you use this patch I highly recommend subscribing to this thread so you get notified of new patch versions.
Before installing this patch, you must install the AUSMT scripts using either Preware or WOSQI. If you forget, both apps should notify you that you need them. Also, before you can install a new version of the patch, you must remove the old version. You can do this via Preware if the 'scan unknown packages' option is enabled. You can also use WOSQI.
Current patch version: 1.3.9 - *** Patch is no longer being updated. Install app from Preware. Only use patch to patch catalog version to allow you to export your saved forums, if you have not already done so. After that, you should uninstall the patch and the catalog version of the app, and only leave the Preware version installed. ***
- fixed timing issue that caused export forums button to not display sometimes.
- Additional larger font size options.
- Final patch release before adding Forums to the webOS Nation app gallery.
- Encryption for stored passwords
- Added import/export buttons to main scene, so your forums can be exported from the app and imported into the new version. For details, see this post: [Patch] Fixes and enhancements for Forums app
- Bug fix in response parsing that was causing some forum categories to be missing from forum tree.
- Limited proboards.com-hosted forum support. Not all features supported yet. Forum URL must end in proboards.com (i.e. no custom URLs supported).
- Dark theme added
- Possibly some bug fixes I don't remember, hopefully no new bugs.
- Added setting for message display font size with four size options (may change).
- View a user's profile by tapping their avatar and selecting 'View public profile'
- Disabled scrim that covers app when it is carded - may add a preference for this later.
- On forums that return it, the post number will be displayed next to the date.
- Increased default message display font size slightly.
- New shortcut keys for top/bottom of page taken from browser multi-mod patch: backspace for top, enter for bottom.
- Special handling for webosnation.com and precentral.net forum links in posts, so they should open in the app instead of the browser. Given the vast number of supported forums, this will not likely be done for all forums, but you all on webOS Nation are special.
- Re-authenticate in subscribed post view after viewing a thread that hoses your session. (experimental)
- Add forum button moved to bottom of saved forum list.
- Tap on like or thanks count and a popup will display the list of users that liked or thanked a post.
- Change to get total like count from different value, to fix a bug on certain posts displaying wrong like count, due to incomplete list being returned from forum. Not that means sometimes (this post is a good example) the total like count will be greater than the number of users you see in the list. A future change will add the 'and X others' like you see on the website. None of the list items do anything right now - tapping anywhere on or off the list will just close the list
- Bug fix for subscribed posts view so it shows all subscribed posts, instead of repeating most recent 20.
- Bug fix for infinite spinning circle when adding a forum fails due to incorrect URL or Tapatalk not being installed.
- Added temporary preferences setting to turn on detailed logging for generating more detailed logging messages (requires Lumberjack to be running and to collect the logs), and a separate setting to write forum password, to debug one specific user's issue.
- Meta-key (touch gesture area + T or B) shortcuts for scroll to top and bottom of the following views: recent topics, subscribed topics, topic display, and private messages. In private message view, if you have a lot of messages, it will usually not take you all the way to the bottom or top due to the way the list works, but a few presses will usually get you to the top or bottom.
- Bug fixes related to logout that were preventing some forums from opening when auto-login is enabled.
- Added more logging that will show when using Lumberjack to help troubleshoot issues. (Not logged unless Lumberjack is open)
- Sync'd patch version number with my local app version
- All gallery-related items on main scene have been hidden (didn't remove in case gallery is someday fixed)
- When adding a forum, if it allows guest access, the app will not ask for credentials, but just add the forum (similar to adding from gallery). You can log in after opening the forum using the login button or from the app menu.
- Added logout item to app menu. This will clear out your user name and password and log you out. Do not use this menu item unless you really want to log out.
- Changed the popup menu on posts from requiring a tap-and-hold to just tap. Previously, tapping would start a quoted reply. Let me know what you think about this. I was getting tired of tap-and-hold to like or thank, and it is how Taptalk does it as well.
- Liking and thanking posts 90% complete. Display of like or post count is done. To like/unlike or thank a post, press-and-hold the post, and select the appropriate option from the popup menu. Note the Taptalk API does not support un-thanking (so even the Taptalk app does not support it), so you'll have to use a desktop browser if you accidentally thank the wrong post.
- Allow manually adding forums! I'm still improving this feature, but I wanted to get it out there for everyone. I can't guarantee it will work with every forum, but it has worked with all I tested. Please verify you have the correct URL before entering. At this time, it only seems to work if you sign in to the forum when you add it - looking into getting guest forums working, but doesn't seem like a high priority. Prompt includes (currently) fields for the forum name, URL, and optional description. The API does not return any of this, or the thumbnail badge that would normally come from the gallery. If you get any errors, just use the back gesture to close the dialog. If the URL is wrong, or Taptatalk is not installed, the spinner on the ok button will currently spin continuously. Just use the back gesture to cancel the dialog.
- Remove 'network error' scene. This will keep you from losing your work if you are in the middle of typing a message and lose connectivity. If you lose network connectivity, the app is already re-establishing your session when it is restored, so mostly this scene is annoying. Just keep in mind, you won't be able to view anything that isn't already on your screen until your connection is re-established. May add some kind of indicator to the app to signal that your are offline.
- No longer showing duplicate post at the end of each full page (first post of next page was also getting shown as last post current page). This also had other side effects.
- Disabled debug code in forum loader that was writing login info to log file when Lumberjack was open (This was inadvertently enabled with the first patch).
- Fix for recent topic view, which was broken due to Taptalk API change.
- Disabled auto-refresh of recent topics view. Just tap the clock button again to refresh topics.
- Tweak to attached images to improve scrolling performance (a bug in the attached image code was causing it to use the full image for the thumbnail instead of the hosted thumbnail image, so scrolling posts with attachments would drag to a near halt when the thumbnails
- Simplified display of embedded images to speed scrolling performance and scale to fit on screen. The current styling looks really nice, but the rotation really slows down scrolling, and the scaling does not work, so you can only see a small part of most images. Still working on this one, as it is much better, but very large images still can slow things down quite a bit.
Ideas, in-progress or not-started:
- Open IPK links in Preware - slated for next version.
- View user's topics and posts - in progress.
- Add an option to enable/disable the auto-refresh behavior in the topic list. The auto-refresh made it rather hard to keep up when the forums were super busy, but it still causes extra API calls.
- A way to update login credentials of a saved forum. Since the gallery is broken, removing and re-adding of saved forums is not convenient, so need a way to update user name and/or password for saved forums. This has been partially addressed by logout function, which clears the user name and password for a saved forum. That may be good enough.
- Possibly make a way to manually set the thumbnail for a forum, since it does not come from the forum and the gallery is not working.
- Diagnose Navelfluff's login issue.
- Save photos displayed in the app. I have this partially working, but only for non-authenticated attachments, which means only a small portion.
- Handle login errors when loading saved forum - in progress, most errors now being handled correctly.
- Need to work out common import/export format for interchange between Forums and Communities apps.
- The gallery/directory is completely broken now after Tapatalk's recent update. This may never function again - we will see.
- Some attachments cause issues with session, so you can't reply. Usually you notice when trying to submit your message you've just typed, then when you back out, the reply button is disabled. I have found a workaround for the session problem, but still have work to do on it to make sure it does not create problems.
Instructions for installing/using Lumberjack:
Install Lumberjack using Preware or WOSQI.
You'll need to open Lumberjack before trying to log in so it sets the log level to info (it's the default, so no need to change anything) to capture the detailed logs. Select Forums from the 'What to look for' list. Then open Forums app and try to open this forum. Now go back to Lumberjack and tap 'Retrieve log'. From the app menu, select Log, then email log. Send it to yourself first so you can confirm your password is not displayed in clear text before sending it to me. My email is my screen name @gmail.com.