webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > [Patch] Fixes and enhancements for Forums app
[Patch] Fixes and enhancements for Forums app
Like Tree59Likes

Old 12/10/2013, 11:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

The Forums paid app by Newness Developments (deCorvett) has been my most used app ever since its release. Unfortunately, as with many other webOS apps, age has started to catch up to it as the Tapatalk API has been updated, while the app has not. I really love the app, and want to improve it for me and anyone else that uses it. This thread is to document development of a patch for the Forums app and discuss needed bug fixes, limited (hey I'm trying to figure out someone else's code here) feature requests etc. Please put your suggestions and comments in this thread. Development will probably not be real fast, but I'll try to post and keep the patch updated here as I get things done. If you encounter issues and need to send me a log file, I've added instructions below for using Lumberjack to capture and send them. If you use this patch I highly recommend subscribing to this thread so you get notified of new patch versions.

Before installing this patch, you must install the AUSMT scripts using either Preware or WOSQI. If you forget, both apps should notify you that you need them. Also, before you can install a new version of the patch, you must remove the old version. You can do this via Preware if the 'scan unknown packages' option is enabled. You can also use WOSQI.

Current patch version: 1.3.8

Slated for next patch release:

Change log:
1.3.8:
- Bug fix in response parsing that was causing some forum categories to be missing from forum tree.
- Limited proboards.com-hosted forum support. Not all features supported yet. Forum URL must end in proboards.com (i.e. no custom URLs supported).

1.3.7:
- Dark theme added
- Possibly some bug fixes I don't remember, hopefully no new bugs.

1.3.6:
- Added setting for message display font size with four size options (may change).
- View a user's profile by tapping their avatar and selecting 'View public profile'
- Disabled scrim that covers app when it is carded - may add a preference for this later.
- On forums that return it, the post number will be displayed next to the date.

1.3.5:
- Increased default message display font size slightly.
- New shortcut keys for top/bottom of page taken from browser multi-mod patch: backspace for top, enter for bottom.
- Special handling for webosnation.com and precentral.net forum links in posts, so they should open in the app instead of the browser. Given the vast number of supported forums, this will not likely be done for all forums, but you all on webOS Nation are special.
- Re-authenticate in subscribed post view after viewing a thread that hoses your session. (experimental)

1.3.4:
- Add forum button moved to bottom of saved forum list.
- Tap on like or thanks count and a popup will display the list of users that liked or thanked a post.
- Change to get total like count from different value, to fix a bug on certain posts displaying wrong like count, due to incomplete list being returned from forum. Not that means sometimes (this post is a good example) the total like count will be greater than the number of users you see in the list. A future change will add the 'and X others' like you see on the website. None of the list items do anything right now - tapping anywhere on or off the list will just close the list
- Bug fix for subscribed posts view so it shows all subscribed posts, instead of repeating most recent 20.
- Bug fix for infinite spinning circle when adding a forum fails due to incorrect URL or Tapatalk not being installed.
- Added temporary preferences setting to turn on detailed logging for generating more detailed logging messages (requires Lumberjack to be running and to collect the logs), and a separate setting to write forum password, to debug one specific user's issue.

1.3.2:
- Meta-key (touch gesture area + T or B) shortcuts for scroll to top and bottom of the following views: recent topics, subscribed topics, topic display, and private messages. In private message view, if you have a lot of messages, it will usually not take you all the way to the bottom or top due to the way the list works, but a few presses will usually get you to the top or bottom.
- Bug fixes related to logout that were preventing some forums from opening when auto-login is enabled.
- Added more logging that will show when using Lumberjack to help troubleshoot issues. (Not logged unless Lumberjack is open)

1.3.1:
- Sync'd patch version number with my local app version
- All gallery-related items on main scene have been hidden (didn't remove in case gallery is someday fixed)
- When adding a forum, if it allows guest access, the app will not ask for credentials, but just add the forum (similar to adding from gallery). You can log in after opening the forum using the login button or from the app menu.
- Added logout item to app menu. This will clear out your user name and password and log you out. Do not use this menu item unless you really want to log out.
- Changed the popup menu on posts from requiring a tap-and-hold to just tap. Previously, tapping would start a quoted reply. Let me know what you think about this. I was getting tired of tap-and-hold to like or thank, and it is how Taptalk does it as well.

1.1.0:
- Liking and thanking posts 90% complete. Display of like or post count is done. To like/unlike or thank a post, press-and-hold the post, and select the appropriate option from the popup menu. Note the Taptalk API does not support un-thanking (so even the Taptalk app does not support it), so you'll have to use a desktop browser if you accidentally thank the wrong post.
- Allow manually adding forums! I'm still improving this feature, but I wanted to get it out there for everyone. I can't guarantee it will work with every forum, but it has worked with all I tested. Please verify you have the correct URL before entering. At this time, it only seems to work if you sign in to the forum when you add it - looking into getting guest forums working, but doesn't seem like a high priority. Prompt includes (currently) fields for the forum name, URL, and optional description. The API does not return any of this, or the thumbnail badge that would normally come from the gallery. If you get any errors, just use the back gesture to close the dialog. If the URL is wrong, or Taptatalk is not installed, the spinner on the ok button will currently spin continuously. Just use the back gesture to cancel the dialog.
- Remove 'network error' scene. This will keep you from losing your work if you are in the middle of typing a message and lose connectivity. If you lose network connectivity, the app is already re-establishing your session when it is restored, so mostly this scene is annoying. Just keep in mind, you won't be able to view anything that isn't already on your screen until your connection is re-established. May add some kind of indicator to the app to signal that your are offline.

1.0.1:
- No longer showing duplicate post at the end of each full page (first post of next page was also getting shown as last post current page). This also had other side effects.
- Disabled debug code in forum loader that was writing login info to log file when Lumberjack was open (This was inadvertently enabled with the first patch).

1.0:
- Fix for recent topic view, which was broken due to Taptalk API change.
- Disabled auto-refresh of recent topics view. Just tap the clock button again to refresh topics.
- Tweak to attached images to improve scrolling performance (a bug in the attached image code was causing it to use the full image for the thumbnail instead of the hosted thumbnail image, so scrolling posts with attachments would drag to a near halt when the thumbnails
- Simplified display of embedded images to speed scrolling performance and scale to fit on screen. The current styling looks really nice, but the rotation really slows down scrolling, and the scaling does not work, so you can only see a small part of most images. Still working on this one, as it is much better, but very large images still can slow things down quite a bit.

Ideas, in-progress or not-started:
- Add an option to enable/disable the auto-refresh behavior in the topic list. The auto-refresh made it rather hard to keep up when the forums were super busy, but it still causes extra API calls.
- A way to update login credentials of a saved forum. Since the gallery is broken, removing and re-adding of saved forums is not convenient, so need a way to update user name and/or password for saved forums. This has been partially addressed by logout function, which clears the user name and password for a saved forum. That may be good enough.
- Possibly make a way to manually set the thumbnail for a forum, since it does not come from the forum and the gallery is not working.
- Diagnose Navelfluff's login issue.
- Save photos displayed in the app. I have this partially working, but only for non-authenticated attachments, which means only a small portion.
- Handle login errors when loading saved forum - in progress, most errors now being handled correctly.
- Add import function to allow importing of a saved forum list (like what I did for Communities). Need to work out common format for interchange between those two apps.

Challenges/future ideas:
- The gallery/directory is completely broken now after Tapatalk's recent update. This may never function again - we will see.
- Some attachments cause issues with session, so you can't reply. Usually you notice when trying to submit your message you've just typed, then when you back out, the reply button is disabled. I have found a workaround for the session problem, but still have work to do on it to make sure it does not create problems.

Instructions for installing/using Lumberjack:
Install Lumberjack using Preware or WOSQI.

You'll need to open Lumberjack before trying to log in so it sets the log level to info (it's the default, so no need to change anything) to capture the detailed logs. Select Forums from the 'What to look for' list. Then open Forums app and try to open this forum. Now go back to Lumberjack and tap 'Retrieve log'. From the app menu, select Log, then email log. Send it to yourself first so you can confirm your password is not displayed in clear text before sending it to me. My email is my screen name @gmail.com.
Attached Files
File Type: patch forums-1.3.8.patch (236.9 KB, 71 views) Email Attachment
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 05/14/2014 at 11:28 PM.
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Sukiyaki, eKeith, Rnp and 10 others like this.
Old 12/11/2013, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Changes I have already made:
- Fix for recent topic view, which was broken due to Taptalk API change.
- Tweak to attached images to improve scrolling performance (a bug in the attached image code was causing it to use the full image for the thumbnail instead of the hosted thumbnail image, so scrolling posts with attachments would drag to a near halt when the thumbnails
- Simplified display of embedded images to speed scrolling performance and scale to fit on screen. The current styling looks really nice, but the rotation really slows down scrolling, and the scaling does not work, so you can only see a small part of most images. Still working on this one, as it is much better, but very large images still can slow things down quite a bit.
Fantastic! A working 'recent posts' view is something that I only use(d) on the webosnation forum (none of my other forums), but keeping track of what is going on here without this working is almost impossible using the forums app exclusively. With the app's tendency to somehow mark all threads read even if you haven't (only have that on webosnation), I found myself coming back using a browser more than once.

Also can't wait to see the image enhancements in action! I sometimes gave up on reading threads on another forum with Forums app because scrolling was almost impossible. If you found only a slight performance boost there, that would be improvements in an area I never thought possible without a 'proper' update to the app!

Quote:
Ideas, in-progress or not-started:
- Disable auto-refresh of recent topic list after reading a topic. In-progress. Planning to add an option to enable/disable this behavior. The auto-refresh made it rather hard to keep up when the forums were super busy, but it still causes extra API calls. Still need to come up with a convenient way for users to refresh the list (currently re-selecting recent topics from header selector will refresh the list - doesn't seem intuitive enough). Not much room for a refresh button (which does exist in the topic display, so it does have a precedent). Open to ideas on how you'd like this to work.
Maybe replace the search function in the apps top bar when in the recent/unread posts view with a refresh option? I haven't ever felt the need to search for anything when checking the latest topics. And if that need should ever arise, one could always go back to the main thread view to do a search.

Quote:
- A way to update login credentials of a saved forum. Since the gallery is broken, removing and re-adding of saved forums is not convenient, so need a way to update user name and/or password for saved forums.
If it is too complicated and you do find a way to manually add forums, maybe just scratch that. Just remove/readd a forum to update login credentials should work just fine.

Oh, btw. here's my very own Forums patch, feel free to add it to yours if you want to. It's a really simple fix that just moves the 'My Forums' list on top of the 'New Forums' and 'Explore' sections on the main screen. I was so tired of scrolling past that never-used stuff every time I'd start the app or go back to the home screen to swich over to another forum.
(download link removed as it's part of Grabber5.0's fantastic patch now. no need to confuse anybody with different patches in this thread.)

Last edited by DocJones; 12/12/2013 at 01:24 PM.
DocJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Grabber5.0
Old 12/11/2013, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just realized from reading your post that the search button in the header is sort of redundant to the search button in the command menu (toolbar) at the bottom. Really it's a shortcut to that function. The easiest option may be to replace that search button with a refresh button for the recent and unread views (and maybe more).

Edit: turns out it isn't as easy as I hoped (what's new?), but it did discover a faster shortcut, not necessarily more obvious though. You can just tap the recent posts button (the clock) and it reloads the recent topics view.
-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 12/11/2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12/11/2013, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
Fantastic! A working 'recent posts' view is something that I only use(d) on the webosnation forum (none of my other forums), but keeping track of what is going on here without this working is almost impossible using the forums app exclusively. With the app's tendency to somehow mark all threads read even if you haven't (only have that on webosnation), I found myself coming back using a browser more than once.
I use recent topics on most forums. When the are mega busy, like this place used to be, the auto-refresh would cause you to lose your place if you were trying to read all of the topics in the recent topic view.
Quote:
Also can't wait to see the image enhancements in action! I sometimes gave up on reading threads on another forum with Forums app because scrolling was almost impossible. If you found only a slight performance boost there, that would be improvements in an area I never thought possible without a 'proper' update to the app!
I think you will be pretty happy with it. I haven't found too many threads that cause it to perform badly, but there will be some. I don't think there is much else that can be done, but I'll keep looking.

Quote:
If it is too complicated and you do find a way to manually add forums, maybe just scratch that. Just remove/readd a forum to update login credentials should work just fine.
I am certain adding a change password dialog will probably end up being easier than fixing the add forum issue. We will see.

Quote:
Oh, btw. here's my very own Forums patch, feel free to add it to yours if you want to. It's a really simple fix that just moves the 'My Forums' list on top of the 'New Forums' and 'Explore' sections on the main screen. I was so tired of scrolling past that never-used stuff every time I'd start the app or go back to the home screen to swich over to another forum.
Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Old 12/11/2013, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Here's something really strange. I have not modified that file in any way, but I was not able to install it on my already modified app. I had to install the app catalog version, patch it, then merge your changes into my file. File encoding and line ending seems to be identical. Hmm...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 12/11/2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12/12/2013, 12:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a release of the patch ready for testing. I think it is stable enough to post here, but wasn't able to do that tonight. If you want to test it, PM me your email address and I'll forward it to you. I installed and tested it on my Pre2 by emailing it to myself and installing via Internalz. I can't remember if WebOS QuickInstall supports app patches or not. Make sure you have Forums version 1.2.5 and it should be unmodified.

Old 12/12/2013, 04:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Patch sent to three testers. Will add to first post after reports of success.
If you need to reinstall, make sure you use save/restore to back up your forums first - you can't install an older version over a newer one without uninstalling first.

Old 12/12/2013, 06:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Typing this from my patched forums Recent Topics is working again, install of .patch via WOSQI went fine!

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
Old 12/12/2013, 06:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The fields in the code for adding forums is quite straight forward it seems? There's also a bundled-forums.js in /app/models that is empty in 1.2.5 but you might want to check earlier versions to see what's in there. Those should be the minimum required fields. forum_id can be anything basically.
Code:
if (launchParams.method == "addForum") {
								var forumData = {
									forum_id: Date.now().toString(),
									forum_url: launchParams.forum.forum_url, //"http://forums.precentral.net/mobiquo/mobiquo.php",
									logo_url: launchParams.forum.logo_url, //Mojo.appPath + "http://forums.webosnation.com/images/bundledforums/precentral.png",
									site_url: launchParams.forum.site_url, //"http://forums.precentral.net/",
									forum_name: launchParams.forum.forum_name, //"PreCentral.net Forums",
									forum_description: launchParams.forum.forum_description, //"The #1 Palm Pre Community",
									user_name: "",
									user_password: ""
								}
							}

Last edited by Herrie; 12/12/2013 at 06:29 AM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Grabber5.0
Old 12/12/2013, 06:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

As I just wrote Matt in a PM - this is like Forums v2.0 to me!
Having 'recent posts' work again makes a huge difference especially on how I can follow this forum. And the improvements to the handling of images is absolutely fantastic stuff.

DocJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0 likes this.
Old 12/12/2013, 07:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

Installed email attachment with internals pro. All is well, can't believe it after so long. Many thanks
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2013, 10:03 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thank you for the confirmation and positive feedback. I'll be attaching the patch to the first post when I get back to my desk. I want to add some comments to the top of it first and then I'll attach it.

Old 12/12/2013, 10:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
The fields in the code for adding forums is quite straight forward it seems? There's also a bundled-forums.js in /app/models that is empty in 1.2.5 but you might want to check earlier versions to see what's in there. Those should be the minimum required fields. forum_id can be anything basically.
Don't worry Herrie, I'm not giving up on that. I've just been focusing on usability issues before diving back in to that code. The problem I'm having is that there aren't enough attributes filled in when adding a forum manually, so they get added but don't work.

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 12/12/2013 at 10:36 AM.
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 12/12/2013, 12:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Working perfect here. Thanks !

Old 12/12/2013, 12:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Which ones you're missing? Might be able to help out :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by Herrie; 12/12/2013 at 10:40 PM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2013, 12:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rnp

When I grow up, I want to be like the Grabber 5.0!

Best Regards...
Old 12/12/2013, 02:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Which ones you're missing? Might be able to help out :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
If you want to compare, add a forum from the gallery, then add that same forum manually, and note the difference in the db or the log files of what's populated and what's not. There is quite a lot. Like I said I haven't had time to look into it further.

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 12/12/2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12/13/2013, 07:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
vgg

Thanks a lot - worked great...

vito
vgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2013, 01:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

Grabber, have you been able to check out the problem where quotes do not display properly in a normal browser?
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2013, 01:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Grabber, have you been able to check out the problem where quotes do not display properly in a normal browser?

I am not certain, but I am pretty sure that is a forum software issue, not the app. I have never seen it happen on any other forum besides webosnation. I am going to check some of the older versions and see if any of them don't exhibit the problem.