Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes
    This is great! If Forums could allow downloads of patches from wOSN that'd be awesome. And if someone posts a link to a thread on wOSN and you click on it in Forums, instead of opening browser it could just open it in Forums too. The duplicate search button and search bar like you mentioned in the op is annoying. Screen real estate is primo on my pixi. If the search bar could be patched to toggle off that would give me more room to read.

This is great work so far. I love it!
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Rnp likes this.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Grabber, have you been able to check out the problem where quotes do not display properly in a normal browser?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I am not certain, but I am pretty sure that is a forum software issue, not the app. I have never seen it happen on any other forum besides webosnation. I am going to check some of the older versions and see if any of them don't exhibit the problem.
    I'm pretty sure my reply to your post, above, which displays wrong, was from Tapatalk on my iPhone. If I were to edit it on my Pre3, it would fix the problem. It may be something to do with the plugin or a setting on the forum itself. It works fine on iMore: Here is an example quote I posted on imore today, which displays fine in the browser. http://forums.imore.com/ios-7/273604...ml#post2153073
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    This is great! If Forums could allow downloads of patches from wOSN that'd be awesome. And if someone posts a link to a thread on wOSN and you click on it in Forums, instead of opening browser it could just open it in Forums too. The duplicate search button and search bar like you mentioned in the op is annoying. Screen real estate is primo on my pixi. If the search bar could be patched to toggle off that would give me more room to read.

This is great work so far. I love it!
    I remember a discussion about this before, and I suspect it's something way deep in webos that causes this. I'll see if I can find the thread (not an easy task given how bad vbulletin's search function is.. but I digress..). I actually was able to recreate the issue it in java on Windows, and curl and wget both have the same problem on my Pre3 - they return an html page rather than the patch - the same thing you get when you try to download a patch from your browser.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Grabber, have you been able to check out the problem where quotes do not display properly in a normal browser?
    Yep, not just the Forums app - Tapatalk does it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5.    #25  
    And if someone posts a link to a thread on wOSN and you click on it in Forums, instead of opening browser it could just open it in Forums too.
    I forgot to address this part of your post.. I haven't had a chance to look into it, but I was reading a thread on iMore that contained a link to another thread, and it did open in Forums instead of a browser window. I am pretty sure I remember this being referenced in one of the change logs at one point. Looking at the format of the URLs, it's not obvious why one works but not the other. Going to take some digging.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Rnp likes this.
  6.    #26  
    Yep, not just the Forums app - Tapatalk does it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just noticed that there is no problem with the mobile style or the 'accessibility' style, so I'm starting to think it might be a problem with the main forum style, or maybe more correctly, maybe something the Tapatalk plugin is doing differently isn't working correctly with the default forum style.
    I forgot to address this part of your post.. I haven't had a chance to look into it, but I was reading a thread on iMore that contained a link to another thread, and it did open in Forums instead of a browser window. I am pretty sure I remember this being referenced in one of the change logs at one point. Looking at the format of the URLs, it's not obvious why one works but not the other. Going to take some digging.
    I can confirm opening links within the app works for me on all another forums but webosnation.com.

One other thing I remembered just now as it happened again: When I open a thread with (a) new post(s) in it and the first unread post is the final post on a page, Forums will always show me the very first post on that same page instead of jumping to the first unread post. Anybody else notice that?

Matt, do you have a donation link? Would like to send over a beer or two for your work on fixing and improving Forums app for us.
    Last edited by DocJones; 12/19/2013 at 05:57 AM.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    I can confirm opening links within the app works for me on all another forums but webosnation.com.

One other thing I remembered just now as it happened again: When I open a thread with (a) new post(s) in it and the first unread post is the final post on a page, Forums will always show me the very first post on that same page instead of jumping to the first unread post. Anybody else notice that?

Matt, do you have a donation link? Would like to send over a beer or two for your work on fixing and improving Forums app for us.
    I have the same link problem on another forum. It can be hard to hunt down a thread with a link to another thread, so I haven't confirmed any others yet. I guess I can find some off-topic area to post a random thread link into.

I have noticed the duplicate post thing. I have a good idea what's going on, just haven't had a chance to look into it. Shouldn't be too hard to fix.

I actually do have a donation link stashed away.. I am just self-conscious about posting it so I usually don't. I'm just glad I can contribute. After much hesitation, I decided to finally add it to my forum signature.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 12/20/2013 at 05:59 PM.
  9.    #29  
    Been sick, so I haven't had time to do much of anything. I did fix the repeated post issue, though I wonder if that's the first unread, if it might go to the wrong page. All of the page calculations are based on 20 posts per page though, so I think it will probably work fine. Could be a challenge to test. May just throw a new patch version out there for you guys to try out.
  10.    #30  
    It does appear to work right. New version of patch added to first post. Remove previous version before installing new version (If you installed on-device, browse to patch file with Internals and open, it will display 'uninstall patch' instead of 'install patch'). This is where WOSQI probably makes things a bit easier.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 12/21/2013 at 10:42 PM.
    Rnp likes this.
  11.    #31  
    Ok I believe I figured out the link issue. The biggest issue I think is the search engine optimization that creates the google-friendly links to topics. If you embed one of those, it doesn't recognize it as a forum link. Parsing the friendly URLs would be possible, though could also be problematic. The app expects forum links to contain the forum-specific pages for displaying posts (for this forum, that's showthread.php in the most common case) The second issue I found, and was able to fix, is when a link is only to a topic, not a specific post, one of the parameters the code was looking for doesn't exist, so it would fail to open due to not handling it correctly. If a link to a specific post (in the forum format, not the search-friendly version) was in a post, all worked fine, even for webosnation.

For an example, see the last post in the main Forums topic. Forums (Tapatalk Powered) - Forum App for webOS

12.    #32  
    Here is something interesting.. of the three links in the post I linked to in my previous post, only the last one works in the Tapatalk app on my iphone. It is the older version of the app.. I wonder if they all work in the new one (edit - nope, don't work right in the new version either. The just go to the patches forum.) Seems VERY odd, since the first two match the format of the URLs Tapatalk the API uses.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 12/25/2013 at 04:48 PM.
  13.    #33  
    Well all three links work correctly on my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4.. Guess I had better make the last one work in Forums eh?
    Rnp likes this.
    Haha. Yes please!

Follow me on Twitter
    Nice work, dude!
    Newness Developments apps:

Hmm. My Forums app isn't letting me browse for other forums today. Anybody else getting the big yellow warning signs?
    Follow me on Twitter
  17.    #37  
    Hmm. My Forums app isn't letting me browse for other forums today. Anybody else getting the big yellow warning signs?
    Yep same here. I don't know if this part of the gallery is direct to Tapatalk or is via the Newness server that handles the gallery search function, but it looks like one or the other is down.
    I wonder if it's a bigger issue. I'm getting the same thing in the HP App Catalog.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Same in Communities I just checked.....

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  20.    #40  
    Tapatalk seems to be working fine, so it may be the server deCorvett set up, or they may have changed the API again so that even browsing doesn't work.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast