Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718
Like Tree94Likes
  1.    #341  
    Interestingly enough, the PNG attachments in that MacRumors thread display fine if you are logged in. That's my recommended solution. I'm not in a hurry to break that code, and many forums would return errors trying to view attachments without logging in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Interestingly enough, the PNG attachments in that MacRumors thread display fine if you are logged in. That's my recommended solution.

I'm not in a hurry to break that code, and many forums would return errors trying to view attachments without logging in.
    Good to know -- thank you for figuring this out!
  3.    #343  
    Until the app gallery is fixed, here's the IPK for app version 1.4.5.

Edit: update is now in Preware in PivotCE feed.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/15/2017 at 02:56 PM.
    gazaud likes this.
    Until the app gallery is fixed, here's the IPK for app version 1.4.5.
    Thank you!

I've installed version 1.4.5 by tapping your link while in the Forums app and it opened nicely in Preware -- I'm so glad this works!

I can see so far that you have:

- fixed the dark theme for the jump to page number selector,

- improved the dark theme for the text entry field in the Search forum tab,

- fixed the Default View so now my preference setting is honored for forums I'm not logged into,

- fixed not losing Post edit changes when the only change made is tapping on a misspelled word to correct it using the menu of word choices that appears, AND

- fixed viewing post #289 in another thread described in post #325 of this thread (I did not see this listed in the Release Notes).

I did not see any keyboard shortcuts added for scrolling a page at a time yet -- is this correct?

Thank you for your hard work in making and keeping the Forums app the best webOS app we have!
    Last edited by UI Designer; 01/08/2017 at 12:29 AM.
  5.    #345  
    I didn't do anything to thread display. If it changed, it was probably a problem with what the Tapatalk plugin was returning. I also didn't look at any scrolling shortcuts.
    I just had the Forums app lockup and freeze on me with the following Error dialog box pop-up along with an "Ok" button that does nothing when tapped:

Error

A connectivity error has occurred. Please retry.

Ok

Forums app's Log file in Lumberjack had the following messages:

[2017-01-09 18:20:38] (Forums) Error: TypeError: Cannot read property '0' of null

[2017-01-09 18:20:42] (Forums) Error: TypeError: Cannot read property '0' of null

(above 2 messages repeated many more times, but deleted here to save space)

[2017-01-09 18:22:05] (Forums) Error: xmlrpc.onerror called.

[2017-01-09 18:22:05] (Forums) Error: TAPATALK API ERROR: get_thread.fail -

[2017-01-09 18:22:14] (Forums) Error: xmlrpc.onerror called.

[2017-01-09 18:22:14] (Forums) Error: TAPATALK API ERROR: get_thread.fail -

[2017-01-09 18:22:15] (Forums) Error: xmlrpc.onerror called.

[2017-01-09 18:22:15] (Forums) Error: TAPATALK API ERROR: get_thread.fail -

[2017-01-09 18:22:17] (Forums) Error: gotTopics ERROR: TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined

[2017-01-09 18:24:30] (Forums) Error: TypeError: Cannot read property '0' of null

[2017-01-09 18:24:46] (Forums) Error: TypeError: Cannot read property '0' of null

Note:
    Time stamps are shown for the above log messages in square-brackets, but they get hidden when posted.

I wonder why the Ok button was NOT responsive to taps and I had to swipe away the forums app to get it working again.

Have you seen this before? This is the first time I remember seeing this.
    Last edited by UI Designer; 01/09/2017 at 01:34 PM.
  7.    #347  
    Connectivity (be it wireless communication related or just a slow forum call) can cause all kinds of havoc. I'll be the first to say there is plenty of room for error handling improvement in Forums. Unfortunately, when taking over an existing app, it can be too monumental of a task to fix some things. I have had the app become unresponsive on occasion, but it is usually pretty well behaved.

I have seen that message before, but it could occur on almost any screen. Was the OK button truly unresponsive, or is it possible it re-displayed the dialog immediately?

Was that on this forum or another one? I have been seeing threads take a while to load occasionally on here, though it is more pronounced on the website than via Tapatalk or Forums. In fact just a while ago when I was checking Forums on a Touchpad, I tapped a thread and it never displayed. The scrim was displayed along with the large spinner, and the API calls to get the thread and check for new PMs never returned. I finally did a back gesture and the calls were aborted without hanging the app, with API error messages written to the logs. If I had let it go, it may have done the same thing.

Also, were you logged in or not? I saw a different API called, which I believe is partly based on whether you are logged in or not.
    Connectivity (be it wireless communication related or just a slow forum call) can cause all kinds of havoc. I'll be the first to say there is plenty of room for error handling improvement in Forums. Unfortunately, when taking over an existing app, it can be too monumental of a task to fix some things. I have had the app become unresponsive on occasion, but it is usually pretty well behaved.

I have seen that message before, but it could occur on almost any screen.

(Question 1.) Was the OK button truly unresponsive, or is it possible it re-displayed the dialog immediately?

(Question 2.) Was that on this forum or another one?

I have been seeing threads take a while to load occasionally on here, though it is more pronounced on the website than via Tapatalk or Forums. In fact just a while ago when I was checking Forums on a Touchpad, I tapped a thread and it never displayed. The scrim was displayed along with the large spinner, and the API calls to get the thread and check for new PMs never returned.

I finally did a back gesture and the calls were aborted without hanging the app, with API error messages written to the logs. If I had let it go, it may have done the same thing.

(Question 3.) Also, were you logged in or not?

I saw a different API called, which I believe is partly based on whether you are logged in or not.
    I've seen that large spinner appear at times too and also did the back gesture when I got tired of waiting for the thread to load, at which point I'd pick the same thread again and everything would be fine.

Regarding your 3 good questions, here are my replies:

Answer 1. I don't think the OK button was re-displaying immediately, but I'll have to look more closely next time if this ends up happening again. But the Forums app was totally unresponsive to back swipes and I could not access its app menu either, but maybe that error dialog caused this too -- it would be nice if it was non-modal.

Answer 2. No, I was not on this forum, but that MacRumors one. I had it open since yesterday since I didn't finish reading everything I wanted to read yesterday.

Answer 3. No, I was not logged in. Good to know that this could make a difference. I'm glad you've become so familiar with this app since taking it over! Thank you for doing this!
    Last edited by UI Designer; 01/09/2017 at 04:20 PM.
  9.    #349  
    This app has now been moved to the PivotCE Preware feed. If you have a current version of Preware, that feed is automatically enabled. If not, you should update Preware pronto anyway! Because of the issues with the app gallery on here and the Preware feed not updating on the webOS internals server, there is no telling how long it was going to be before it updated in the PreCentral feed. It is technically still in that feed due to the update job not running, but Preware will only show the latest one, which is in the PivorCE feed. I already got the update notification in Preware on two devices that had 1.4.4 installed.
    petbull, dkirker and barryb20 like this.
    Damn you man!! I keep getting tempted to run my Pre 2 as a daily driver lol

If I wasn't so used to using Spotify, WhatsApp and my Pebble

Well done Matt keep up the good work

Barry
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  11.    #351  
    Quote Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
    Damn you man!! I keep getting tempted to run my Pre 2 as a daily driver lol

If I wasn't so used to using Spotify, WhatsApp and my Pebble

Well done Matt keep up the good work

Barry
    Do it. 😈 Pebble works with webOS using mwatch app, as long as firmware is 3.x. I downgraded my Time Steel from 4.x to get it working again. Miss the updated health stuff, but would rather have it working. Not having access to my streaming music sucks, but I use my Pre3 as a companion device to my primary Nexus 5X. With Google Voice integration, I can use the Pre3 for all calls and sms, so I don't even need to carry the 5X if I don't want to, but I usually do. Google Voice doesn't support MMS unfortunately, so I don't get group messages or pics unless people use my TF number, which I don't give out.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/14/2017 at 02:57 PM.
    Hmmm I'm rocking a pre 2 atm, sold both my pre 3 a while back the pre is just so nice in the hand compared to the slab phone!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718