Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post

Change log:
    1.4.2:
    - Additional larger font size options.

Thank you for supporting larger font size options in v1.4.2!

I am using the largest 22pt size, which helps, but is still hard on my eyes when tired or reading in non-ideal conditions (like bright sunlight). Since it looks like you are working on some updates to this app, can you also add a larger 26pt size option? Pretty please -- it would be very helpful.

Thank you so much for helping keep our webOS devices working well and all your hard work on keeping those Google certificates up to date!
    Last edited by UI Designer; 10/04/2015 at 03:17 PM.
  2.    #322  
    Ok just for you, 26px font in the latest version. It's. Big. I just submitted the 1.4.4 update to the webOS Nation app gallery.. hopefully it will be in Preware soon.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 10/04/2015 at 07:30 PM.
    UI Designer likes this.
    Ok just for you, 26px font in the latest version. It's. Big. I just submitted the 1.4.4 update to the webOS Nation app gallery.. hopefully it will be in Preware soon.
    Thank you, thank you! I just checked Preware and the update is there -- wow, that's FAST!

Forum text is now easier to read on my Pre 3. Again, thank you, thank you!

(Would it be possible to make the font size when Posting follow the Preferences > Font Size setting too? This is a lower priority for me since I read the forums more than I Post, but would be nice.)

PS. I really like the Dark Theme too, so I'm glad you now made it the default (read this in your Release Notes found in the Support menu).
    Last edited by UI Designer; 10/04/2015 at 10:34 PM.
  4.    #324  
    It may be possible, though the new post scene is a bit more complex than the rest of the app - I think he borrowed from the email app. I had difficulty applying the dark theme to it (in fact there are bits still not right), so I may run into the same thing applying the font size style too. Eventually I will likely scrap the current new post scene and start from scratch to eliminate the extra complexity.
    Note changing the default theme will not override your current setting. It's kind of funny - I was not excited about adding a dark theme, but now I hate the light theme.
    I just noticed that the contents of the following post (#289) I wrote does not show up in the Forums app (on a Pre3, tapping the following link while in the Forums app and selecting "Open link" opens it in the Web browser app):

"The application database is almost full"?

or

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...st3422484.html

You can manually navigate to Post 289 in the Forums app by going to:

"The application database is almost full"?

and then scrolling up.

All I see in the Forums app is the title:
    How to
    Reduce Size of object.db and indexes.db

along with the icon, name, date, "Thanks," and "Likes" above it,

but NOT the contents of the post.

When I try to edit the post using the Forums app, I see that NOT everything is shown and the post is getting truncated, so I back-swiped out of it to not change anything and avoid possibly messing up the post and deleting information by mistake.

Any ideas what may be going wrong in the Forums app?
    Is there a post size limitation?
    Can this be handled more cleanly?

Also, when using the Dark Theme, it is very hard to see the page numbers pop-up list in the "Go to Page..." dialog box since it is white text on a light gray background.

Similar issue exists on the Search forums screen, but it is even worse here since it is white text on a white background (but I use Search much less, so this is a lower priority and easy to work around by selecting / highlighting the text after it is entered).

Nit: One more thing I noticed is the Default View Preference set to Recent Posts only works for the 1st forum listed, but not the ones after that. The rest default to Forum Tree and looks like there is no way to change this.

On a more positive note, I am really liking the go to the bottom of the page and top of the page keyboard shortcuts you added way back in v1.3.5 (via the Delete and Return keys). I just came across these by mistake. You may want to consider listing these more prominently in your first post since these shortcuts are VERY USEFUL!

Would it be possible to also add keyboard shortcuts to scroll down a page (Page Down) using the spacebar and scroll up (Page Up) using the @ and period (.) keyboard keys when viewing a post? This would really help save a lot of wear and tear on my thumb and would also really help me AVOID changing pages by mistake (VERY ANOYING) when I don't slide my finger perfectly in the downward and upward directions when scrolling.

I am still loving the larger 26 px Font Size you added too! Thank you again so much for this!

With the loss of use of the wInNeR webOS app (webOS Intelligent News Reader - "wInNeR"), the Forums app has become the webOS app I use most along with Messaging. Thank you so much, Grabber5.0, for supporting this app! Any enhancements you can add are GREATLY appreciated since there have not been many webOS app updates lately...
    Last edited by UI Designer; 06/13/2016 at 07:15 PM.
    Rnp likes this.
  6.    #326  
    Hmm your post grew a lot after I first read it. I'll hit a few of these now, but I don't have time to cover them all.

There are some parsing bugs I investigated, but I was quickly getting in over my head and had to stop because I was very busy at work at the time (a recurring theme..). One bug in particular sometimes drops the last character in a URL, which leads to not found errors or going to the wrong thread. Incidentally, your first post link didn't work in Tapatalk either, so it may be a bug in the plugin or the forum software. I will try to confirm this.
    If you edit a post that does not display incompletely in the editor, it will definitely be lost when it updates. I am pretty sure it is related to one of the parsing bugs.

I did have trouble with a few items when I added the dark theme, and it's likely I missed a few. I'll check the popup menu. The search I didn't have any luck fixing at the time and back-burnered it. I think the burner went out.

It is probably possible to add additional keyboard shortcuts.. I remember having to try a few different methods for jumping to the bottom of a page, and one of them probably would work for paging up and down.

I always meant to start a new thread for the updated app, but never got the time.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Rnp and joshua764 like this.
  7.    #327  
    Quote Originally Posted by UI Designer View Post
    Nit: One more thing I noticed is the Default View Preference set to Recent Posts only works for the 1st forum listed, but not the ones after that. The rest default to Forum Tree and looks like there is no way to change this.
    Following up on this, as I noticed I didn't address this in my previous reply. The setting is applied to all stored forums, so any deviant behavior () is an anomaly. I used to have one forum where the recent posts feature was not supported in Tapatalk for some reason, but I think it displayed an error message rather than reverting to the forum tree. Can you give me a log file from Lumberjack for this, along with some some notes listing what you did (opened forum a, back to home screen, opened forum b, etc) and whether that behavior was experienced or not.)? I have actually wanted for a long time to make that a forum-specific preference, but I will have to create a new forum settings scene in order to support that, and didn't want to start a new project while others were still in progress.

I did track down the styles I needed to change in order to fix the invisible or hard to read text on the forum search and jump to page screens. I have a new build with that in it, but the app maintenance page is not working right, so I can't add it to Preware yet.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/03/2017 at 10:41 AM.
    Following up on this, as I noticed I didn't address this in my previous reply. The setting is applied to all stored forums, so any deviant behavior () is an anomaly. I used to have one forum where the recent posts feature was not supported in Tapatalk for some reason, but I think it displayed an error message rather than reverting to the forum tree.

Can you give me a log file from Lumberjack for this, along with some some notes listing what you did (opened forum a, back to home screen, opened forum b, etc) and whether that behavior was experienced or not.)?

I have actually wanted for a long time to make that a forum-specific preference, but I will have to create a new forum settings scene in order to support that, and didn't want to start a new project while others were still in progress.

I did track down the styles I needed to change in order to fix the invisible or hard to read text on the forum search and jump to page screens. I have a new build with that in it, but the app maintenance page is not working right, so I can't add it to Preware yet.
    Thank you for taking the time to look into this!

Here's Lumberjack's "Follow Log" output for the Forums app with the "Log Level" set only to Error:

undefined[2017-01-04 20:11:15] (Forums) Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'style' of undefined

[2017-01-04 20:11:24] (Forums) Error: Exception in get_forum.callbackOk() - TypeError: Cannot call method 'modelChanged' of undefined

[2017-01-04 20:11:24] (Forums) Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'style' of undefined

If you want me to use some other Lumberjack settings, let me know.

The forum I opened is MacRumors Forums. Forums app always defaults to showing the Forum Tree instead of Recent Posts, even though Recent Posts is set to the Default View.

Also, I am NOT logged into the MacRumors Forums, so only 3 icons show up at bottom of forum screen instead of the 5 I get in webOS Nation Forums (Subscribed Topics & Private Messages icons are NOT shown, as expected, when NOT logged in) -- not sure if this makes a differentce.

The 1st Error message came when I opened the MacRumors Forums in a new Forums app card. 2nd one came when I tapped the Recent Posts icon.

This issue is 100% recreatable and it does NOT matter what order I open my various forums in, but I do have webOS Nation Forums listed first in the My Forums list (I changed the order around in My Forums list and this did NOT make any difference). Same issue exists with AVS Forums.

Update 1:
    My Pre3 restarted, so I launched Lumberjack, set it up to follow Forums app, launched Forums app, opened MacRumors Forums, and NO Error messages showed up.

In the process of closing MacRumors Forums, opening this forum, and updating this post, the following Errors showed up in Lumberjack:

undefined[2017-01-04 22:34:24] (Forums) Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'style' of undefined

[2017-01-04 22:34:31] (Forums) Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'style' of undefined

[2017-01-04 22:34:36] (Forums) Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'style' of undefined

[2017-01-04 22:36:08] (Forums) Error: EXCEPTION [exception during animation], (TypeError): "Cannot call method 'animate' of undefined"

[2017-01-04 22:36:08] (Forums) Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'handleError' of undefined

[2017-01-04 22:36:43] (Forums) Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'style' of undefined

[2017-01-04 22:36:57] (Forums) Error: TypeError: Cannot read property '0' of null

[2017-01-04 22:38:09] (Forums) Error: xmlrpc.onerror called.

[2017-01-04 22:38:09] (Forums) Error: TAPATALK API ERROR: logout_user.fail - {"error":0}

Originally I had two Forums app cards opened when I saw those initial 3 log messages.
    Last edited by UI Designer; 01/04/2017 at 05:10 PM.
  9.    #329  
    Can you post the forum URLs for those forums for me. Yeah being lazy.
    Can you post the forum URLs for those forums for me. Yeah being lazy.
    I thought you were going to ask this and too bad that the Forums app doesn't have an easy way to retrieve this from what I've seen so far, so I exported the forums, opened the forums-export.json file, and found the following:

forums.macrumors.com

www.avsforum.com/forum/
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  11.    #331  
    Quote Originally Posted by UI Designer View Post
    I thought you were going to ask this and too bad that the Forums app doesn't have an easy way to retrieve this from what I've seen so far, so I exported the forums, opened the forums-export.json file, and found the following:

forums.macrumors.com

www.avsforum.com/forum/
    I am seeing the same behavior. The recent posts view works for me on both of those forums, so I suspect the default view setting is only getting applied for forums where you have logged in, not because of an error. I'll check on this when I get a chance to confirm it. I do know there are some things that are done differently depending on whether or not you are logged in. Since you can go to the subscribed view if you are not logged in, it may just be hardcoding this, or the default in the code is forum tree and it's not checking the preference unless you are logged in. Shouldn't be hard to change if that's the case.

That's my theory anyway..
  12.    #332  
    Yep. The only time the code is using the default view preference is if you have both: 1) successfully logged in, and 2) you have login mode set to automatic (which is the default). Looking at the code structure, it won't be difficult to always use the default view, provided it is not one that requires being logged in - those being subscribed and messages. Any other time there is no reason not to use the default. Note that there are forums that do not support the recent posts view. Some just return an empty list, some may return an error. This is why I want to make a forum-specific setting that will override the global default.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/04/2017 at 05:26 PM.
    Yep. The only time the code is using the default view preference is if you have both:

1) logged in, and

2) you have login mode set to automatic (which is the default).

Looking at the code structure, it won't be difficult to always use the default view, provided it is not one that requires being logged in - those being subscribed and messages. Any other time there is no reason not to use the default.

Note that there are forums that do not support the recent posts view. Some just return an empty list, some may return an error. This is why I want to make a forum-specific setting that will override the global default.
    Thanks for being willing to support a forum-specific setting that will override the global default -- this sounds like the best solution, but also extra work for you.

Since it sounds like you are in the process of updating the Forums app, do you think you'll be able to implement any of the feedback in my earlier posts? Besides the Messaging app, Forums app is my most used webOS app (used to be wInNeR app, but that app died and no one has been able to resurrect it).

The most important new features I'd love to see are keyboard shortcuts for scrolling down and up a page at a time.

Having an optimized version for the TouchPad would be nice too. Thank you again for adding larger font sizes in your last update!

Tip for those using iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches:
    You can scroll ANY app a page at a time by using AssistiveTouch (found in Settings > General > Accessibility). Just tap Create New Gesture, slide your finger vertically from the bottom of the screen to the top (how fast you slide your finger DOES matter), and give that gesture a name, like Scroll Down.

You can even place your new gesture(s) in the top-level AssistiveTouch menu using Customize Top Level Menu so that you can access it more quickly.

Of course this is not as quick as a keyboard shortcut in webOS, but it does come in handy when reading LONG pages and works in EVERY app.
    Last edited by UI Designer; 01/04/2017 at 08:03 PM.
  14.    #334  
    More than likely, any additional changes beyond the changes I'm working on now will have to wait a bit. I think I've hit most of the items in your suggestions already though.

I remember the scrolling changes for the thread display were trickier than the others due to the widely varying size of posts, especially when images were involved, so I can't guarantee single screen scrolling will work reliably. I'll play around and see how it goes. No promises.

On top of that, the app gallery is still preventing me from making any updates at all, so I have no idea how soon the update will hit Preware. I don't really want to move it to the pivotce feed, unless fixing the webOS nation app gallery continues to drag on.
    More than likely, any additional changes beyond the changes I'm working on now will have to wait a bit. I think I've hit most of the items in your suggestions already though.

I remember the scrolling changes for the thread display were trickier than the others due to the widely varying size of posts, especially when images were involved, so I can't guarantee single screen scrolling will work reliably. I'll play around and see how it goes. No promises.

Thank you so much!

Regarding scrolling a page at a time via keyboard shortcuts, I didn't realise the issues images would cause. If a part of an image is showing and the rest is off the bottom of the screen, then when paging down, feel free to scroll that image so that it now begins at the very top of the screen, if that makes things any easier.

Luckily most of the forums I read either don't contain many images or I have to tap on a thumbnail to view the image.

Furthermore, I noticed the Forums app does NOT handle PNG images -- all I see is the image name highlighted in yellow along with nothing happening when I tap it. Is this a webOS limitation or Forums app limitation? There are lots of PNG images in the MacRumors Forums.

The most important thing to me when scrolling a page at a time is it's OK to scroll less than a page (screen-full), but never more than a page, otherwise I may miss reading something.

Ideally I'd like to see the bottom-most line scroll to the very top when paging down (and the top-most line scroll to the very bottom when paging up) to help keep my context.

If there was a way to briefly highlight the text that moves to the top (or bottom) of the screen when paging down (or up), then that would be wonderful, and would really help me from losing my place, especially when less than a full page is scrolled. But just even having any kind of keyboard shortcuts for scrolling is greatly appreciated!

On a different topic, I came across another nit:
    When I edit a post and the ONLY change I make is tapping on a misspelled word and tapping the correct word that appears in the pop-up menu, then when I press the post button, my change is LOST.

The workaround I found is I have to make some other change using the keyboard in order for my spell-correction change to go through and not get lost. Have you seen this before too?
    Last edited by UI Designer; 01/05/2017 at 10:01 AM.
  16.    #336  
    Yes I've seen that behavior too, and I use the same workaround. I tried to debug it once, and of course when I was trying to do that I couldn't recreate it. Of course I've seen it happen a few times since then. I imagine either the change event isn't firing quite right on the text field due to not-quite-right event-hander setup, or the model is not getting updated after auto-correct events. Unfortunately this is one of the scenes that borrows from the email app, so it's more complex than it needs to be.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/05/2017 at 12:54 AM.
  17.    #337  
    This is a testing post. No changes have been made to the app. PNG images are definitely supported, as it is a very common standard, and all of the images for the app are PNGs as well. More info later.

Images from MacForums as embedded images:
    PNG:

JPEG:

Links to threads for these images (will not open in Forums, as that special URL munging is only done for WOSN links):
    Universal - My Cal Widget | MacRumors Forums

Math Minute Game | MacRumors Forums
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/05/2017 at 01:37 PM.
  18.    #338  
    How do you keep managing to find weird things I've never seen? The app definitely supports PNGs, and I've tested them as attachments before. But there's something weird about the PNG attachments I found on MacRumors. The first weird thing is that most forums don't let you view attachments unless you are signed in, so they are being displayed with a different template, and there seems to be a bug in the event handling for that template. It is firing the tap event for non-image attachments, which fails because it's looking for a list that doesn't exist. I forced it down the logged in path and that allowed the thumbnails to render properly, but the image viewer control can't display the full size images for some reason. I found a thread with jpeg attachments and those worked fine even though the odd filenames are still present. I'm starting to think it's a bug in the forum itself that only affects the image viewer. The embedded image in the previous post is linked directly to the image on MacRumors. The attachment version was saved from my laptop from MacRumors and uploaded here as an attachment. This confirms the imageviewer control has no problem with the image itself.
  19.    #339  
    Oh, I think I fixed the autocorrect bug. Doesn't make sense that it wasn't working or that what I did fixed it, but it seems to be working fine now for both posts and PMs (same scene is used for both).
    How do you keep managing to find weird things I've never seen?

The app definitely supports PNGs, and I've tested them as attachments before. But there's something weird about the PNG attachments I found on MacRumors. ...
    Oh, I think I fixed the autocorrect bug. Doesn't make sense that it wasn't working or that what I did fixed it, but it seems to be working fine now for both posts and PMs (same scene is used for both).
    Wow, I'm very impressed you were able to track these issues down so quickly -- thank you, thank you! You are a great debugger!

I'm looking forward to the next release of your Forums app -- it will be like a late Christmas present.