Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By MudShark22
  1.    #1  
    I've managed to patch webOS 3.0.x after suggestions from NewbyJE so it will recognize the Sierra MC7710 module properly and you can enjoy proper 4G speeds in Europe an other locations that have 4G/LTE on the following frequencies/bands:

MC7710: 2100(B1), 1800(B3), 2600(B7), 900(B8), 800(B20)

Before we were limited to the FauxG (HSDPA+) speeds of the Ericsson module in the TP4G or 2100(B1) band that the Sierra MC7700 offered but that was rarely used in Europe for example.

Please note that this will make no difference to speeds with the standard Ericsson module installed. You would to replace the Ericsson module with a Sierra MC7710 module which is easy on a TP Go because you can open the back, for a TP4G you need to open the case by removing the screen, this is quite tricky but do-able with the proper tools

This patch is based on CvvB's great shell script patch for Virtual Keyboard and you will see a lot of familiarities with it when you compare them

This should theoretically work on both the TP 4G and TP Go, however I was unable to verify for the TP Go, since I only have Android TP Go's at the moment :'(
    Code:
    USAGE: MC7710.sh OPTIONAL:[OPTIONS]

Use one of the following [OPTIONS]:

-patch
         To patch /usr/bin/PmModemQxdmLogger & /usr/lib/libTelephonyInterfaceLayer.so

-revert
         To remove the patch and revert /usr/bin/PmModemQxdmLogger & /usr/lib/libTelephonyInterfaceLayer.so to the original status

-status
         To show the status of the patch

-help
         To show this help page!
    Added screenshots to show the Sierra MC7710 working (Carrier Name, signal bars and 3G icon (currently don't have 4G sim-card, because Vodafone decided to delay it 3 weeks due to "high demand"...).

Version history:
    v1.0: Initial release, supporting all known TP4G file versions
    v1.1: Added available TPGo file versions (3.0.4 and 3.0.5 Doctor and fixed a small typo)
    v1.2: Added additional TPGo file versions and added missing offsets which might have caused problems before
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Herrie; 11/21/2013 at 02:20 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Rnp, renater and hfGermany like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I've managed to patch webOS 3.0.x after suggestions from NewbyJE so it will recognize the Sierra MC7710 properly and you can enjoy proper 4G speeds in Europe an other locations that have 4G/LTE on the following frequencies/bands:

MC7710: 2100(B1), 1800(B3), 2600(B7), 900(B8), 800(B20)

Before we were limited to the FauxG (HSDPA+) speeds of the Ericsson module in the TP4G or 2100(B1) band that the Sierra MC7700 offered but that was rarely used in Europe for example.

This patch is based on CvvB's great shell script patch for Virtual Keyboard and you will see a lot of familiarities with it when you compare them

This should theoretically work on both the TP 4G and TP Go, however I was unable to verify for the TP Go, since I only have Android TP Go's at the moment :'(
    Code:
    USAGE: MC7710.sh OPTIONAL:[OPTIONS]

Use one of the following [OPTIONS]:

-patch
         To patch /usr/bin/PmModemQxdmLogger & /usr/lib/libTelephonyInterfaceLayer.so

-revert
         To remove the patch and revert /usr/bin/PmModemQxdmLogger & /usr/lib/libTelephonyInterfaceLayer.so to the original status

-status
         To show the status of the patch

-help
         To show this help page!
    [edit]
    Added screenshots to show the Sierra MC7710 working (Carrier Name, signal bars and 3G icon (currently don't have 4G sim-card, because Vodafone decided to delay it 3 weeks due to "high demand"...).
    Will try this week on my Go.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    cbosdell likes this.
  3.    #3  
    :-) I assume both files are the same on the Go as on the normal TP, in case they're not let me know and I'll update the patch :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 11/19/2013 at 04:12 PM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  4. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Hi Herrie,

thank you very much for this :-)

I assume both files are the same on the Go as on the normal TP, in case they're not let me know and I'll update the patch :-)
    But I'm not sure, if I realy should try to patch:

Code:
    tpgo # ./MC7710.sh -status

Sierra MC7710 Patch v1.0
       -- by Herrie

This bash shell script will patch webOS 3.0.x to support the Sierra MC7710.

File versions are unknown or there is a problem with the files' patch status!
    I have no idea what "he" wants to tell me.

The files to patch I have:

Code:
    -rwxr-x---    1 root     root         62140 Oct 26  2011 /usr/bin/PmModemQxdmLogger
    77a218bcac0bb2f21c47ef666cfdbb9c  /usr/bin/PmModemQxdmLogger

-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root       6856875 Oct 26  2011 /usr/lib/libTelephonyInterfaceLayer.so
    f57bf68c020afb5de318b98b3be39c5b  /usr/lib/libTelephonyInterfaceLayer.so

I have installed 3.0.5 from herrie82 ;-) on my Go, mostly it works, but it drains way to fast the battery.

Thanks a lot,

thg
  5.    #5  
    It seems like one or both of the files are patched already. I took the files from 4G Doctor and took checksum for these. Will check for the Go Doctors I have, I would expect them to be the same though.... You can always manually patch both files for now :-) Just search for MC7700 and replace by MC7710 :-)

Last edited by Herrie; 11/18/2013 at 04:37 PM.
  6.    #6  
    It seems like one or both of the files are patched already. I took the files from 4G Doctor and took checksum for these. Will check for the Go Doctors I have, I would expect them to be the same though.... You can always manually patch both files for now :-) Just search for MC7700 and replace by MC7710 :-)

OK seems that the Go Doctor had different versions of both the files. Updated the patch to include those

I have 3.0.4 and 3.0.5 Doctor for the Go and both files are the same in both versions. I don't have 3.0.0, 3.0.2 or 3.0.3 to compare though. Updated patch v1.1 in 1st post
    Last edited by Herrie; 11/19/2013 at 12:53 AM.
  7. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Hi Herrie,

I have 3.0.4 and 3.0.5 Doctor for the Go and both files are the same in both versions. I don't have 3.0.0, 3.0.2 or 3.0.3 to compare though. Updated patch v1.1 in 1st post
    well, not yet what I would expect:

Code:
    tpgo # ./MC7710.sh -status

Sierra MC7710 Patch v1.1
       -- by Herrie

This bash shell script will patch webOS 3.0.x to support the Sierra MC7710.

File versions are unknown or there is a problem with the files' patch status!
    Or am I missing something?

Thanks a lot,

thg
  8.    #8  
    Can you send me a link to your both files by PM so I can have a look? Could be you have yet another version somehow... (or my patch has a bug ;-))

9. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Can you send me a link to your both files by PM so I can have a look? Could be you have yet another version somehow... (or my patch has a bug ;-))
    no idea, but anyway it's quite "funny".

I made some speed-tests with activated 3G and the results are looking not that bad (see attachments too):

1. 3G: down 5,7MBit/s, up 0,8 MBit/s
    2. 3G: down 5,9MBit/s, up 1,8 MBit/s
    3. DSL via Wifi: down 15,1MBit/s, up 3,4 MBit/s

Both 3G results are within the range I would expect for UMTS (3G), while DSL via Wifi is slower than expected, my PC gets results around down 44,4MBit/s and up 8,2MBit/s.

$ grep -R -i "MC7700" *
    Binary file bin/PmModemQxdmLogger matches
    Binary file lib/libTelephonyInterfaceLayer.so matches

So maybe I do not need this patch?

I attached my "PmModemQxdmLogger" and "libTelephonyInterfaceLayer.so" to the next message, you have to rename the .jar to .zip, if you got it, I can remove it afterwards.

Thanks a lot,

thg
    Last edited by thg; 11/20/2013 at 04:42 PM.
  10. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Hhm, I can not add an attachment to an existing post?

Here is a picture of my 3G-module in my TPGo ...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    no idea, but anyway it's quite "funny".

I made some speed-tests with activated 3G and the results are looking not that bad (see attachments too):

1. 3G: down 5,7MBit/s, up 0,8 MBit/s
    2. 3G: down 5,9MBit/s, up 1,8 MBit/s
    3. DSL via Wifi: down 15,1MBit/s, up 3,4 MBit/s

Both 3G results are within the range I would expect for UMTS (3G), while DSL via Wifi is slower than expected, my PC gets results around down 44,4MBit/s and up 8,2MBit/s.

$ grep -R -i "MC7700" *
    Binary file bin/PmModemQxdmLogger matches
    Binary file lib/libTelephonyInterfaceLayer.so matches

So maybe I do not need this patch?

I attached my "PmModemQxdmLogger" and "libTelephonyInterfaceLayer.so" to the next message, you have to rename the .jar to .zip, if you got it, I can remove it afterwards.

Thanks a lot,

thg
    OK my mistake, forgot some bits in the patch, updated now and also added your files to it v1.2 is attached to first post

When you install a Sierra MC7710 into a TP 4G/Go to replace the Ericsson module, you will not get any signal bars, diagnostics for GPS disappear etc and the TP acts like it has no module installed. This is because only the MC7700 is hard coded to work in webOS 3.0.x. This patch changes MC7700 strings into MC7710 strings so the MC7710 gets recognized properly and will work Useful for people outside of the US for which the MC7700 is not of much use
    Last edited by Herrie; 11/21/2013 at 03:08 AM.
  12. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Hi Herrie,

thank you very much for all of your work.

When you install a Sierra MC7710 into a TP 4G/Go to replace the Ericsson module, you will not get any signal bars, diagnostics for GPS disappear etc and the TP acts like it has no module installed. This is because only the MC7700 is hard coded to work in webOS 3.0.x. This patch changes MC7700 strings into MC7710 strings so the MC7710 gets recognized properly and will work
    yes, this is understandable and not that complicated.

Useful for people outside of the US for which the MC7700 is not of much use
    Well, I'm in Europe and I can not say, that I have not "much use" of my Go.

I don't know which Ericsson F5521gw 3G-module I have exactly (probably one with MC7700), but I'm not "unhappy" with the internet speed when 3G is active. As I wrote, it is in an area where I expect it should be for an old UMTS/3G-device.

Or should/could it be better, much better?

Thanks a lot,

thg
    Last edited by thg; 11/21/2013 at 04:23 AM.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    Hi Herrie,

thank you very much for all of your work.

yes, this is understandable and not that complicated.

Well, I'm in Europe and I can not say, that I have not "much use" of my Go.

I don't know which Ericsson F5521gw 3G-module I have exactly (probably one with MC7700), but I'm not "unhappy" with the internet speed when 3G is active. As I wrote, it is in an area where I expect it should be for an old UMTS/3G-device.

Or should/could it be better, much better?

Thanks a lot,

thg
    I think you misunderstand something Let me try to clarify it!

There are different kind of 3G/4G modules which you can use in a TP 4G/Go. You can take one out and replace it with a quicker/better one! Similar to upgrading a component in a PC or laptop (hard drive, memory, video card etc)

There are a number of modules which will work with the TP 4G/Go:

1. Ericsson F5521gw is the type of module which is available in all sold TP 4G's by default (as far as I know), the (theoretical) maximum speed is 21Mbit/s download and 5.76Mbit/s upload (See product datasheet here. Even though it was sold as being a Touchpad 4G, it actually wasn't proper 4G!

2. However HP during testing for the TP Go (and maybe also the 4G) they also used another type of module, which was not manufactured by Ericsson but by another company called Sierra. The model they tested is the Sierra MC7700 (which supports up to 100Mbps download and 50 Mbps upload (that's a huge improvement and proper 4G!) See also this document).

Some TP Go's that are found in the wild will have a Sierra MC7700 instead of an Ericsson F5521gw module. Even though HP never officially released a TP 4G/Go with a Sierra MC7700 module (to my knowledge at least), but there is full support for the Sierra MC7700 in the kernel and drivers are available. So as soon as you plug in a Sierra MC7700 you can enjoy the higher speeds! (You need to have a proper 4G subscription of course to enjoy those). Vodafone offers 42Mbit/s download here in NL for example

The Sierra MC7710 basically is the European variant of the MC7700 and can use the same drivers in the kernel. The only thing I did was patching the required files so it would recognize the MC7710 so it could be used in a TP 4G/Go

The only problem is that the MC7710 is quite expensive (around EUR 150,- if not more) and you need a DirectIP variant, not a QMI variant which Fujitsu sells for about EUR 100,- (which might be flashed to DirectIP mode, but this hasn't been tested or confirmed).

The MC7700 on the other hand only costs about USD 40,- on eBay. Theoretically it might be able to flash the MC7710 firmware on the MC7700 but I haven't seen any reports for this or have done this myself so I cannot confirm this.

3. There seem to be other cards that might be supported based on me looking at the actual files in webOS. There seems to be references to "Huawei Module" and "Novatel Module". I haven't found any model numbers, so I cannot say if these are any good.

The best bet for now, for us non-US people to get proper 4G speeds is with the Sierra MC7710
    Last edited by Herrie; 11/21/2013 at 05:16 AM.
    Herrie,

There were at least two forms of Touchpad Go's just like the Touchpad 4G/3G...

For the Touchpad 4G/3G the AT&T branded was the one mass produced, however, I have seen Touchpad 4G that were ROW (different model #). (If you look in the Touchpad AT&T released webOS doctor you will see two firmware types AT&T and ROW).

For the Touchpad Go there is the same thing and there are many Touchpad Go doctors available (leaked) one for the ROW and one for AT&T which have different PCI-Express modules firmware included in the build. Also there was to be a Verizon (World) version, (if you look in the Touchpad Go's firmware install routines you can see just like the Pre3 there are three firmware types World, ROW, and AT&T)...
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Herrie,

There were at least two forms of Touchpad Go's just like the Touchpad 4G/3G...

For the Touchpad 4G/3G the AT&T branded was the one mass produced, however, I have seen Touchpad 4G that were ROW (different model #). (If you look in the Touchpad AT&T released webOS doctor you will see two firmware types AT&T and ROW).

For the Touchpad Go there is the same thing and there are many Touchpad Go doctors available (leaked) one for the ROW and one for AT&T which have different PCI-Express modules firmware included in the build. Also there was to be a Verizon (World) version, (if you look in the Touchpad Go's firmware install routines you can see just like the Pre3 there are three firmware types World, ROW, and AT&T)...
    Hi John,

Thanks for the info, you sure have seen a lot of rare devices Have you had the chance to play with a WindsorNot?

I wasn't aware of the non-AT&T TP 4G's. I haven't spotted these myself so far and it's actually the first time I hear about them. I guess they are quite rare or pre-production samples like the Go's? I don't recall seeing any announcements for anything besides AT&T either?

I did notice the different firmwares in the Doctors yes
    Hi John,

Thanks for the info, you sure have seen a lot of rare devices Have you had the chance to play with a WindsorNot?

I wasn't aware of the non-AT&T TP 4G's. I haven't spotted these myself so far and it's actually the first time I hear about them. I guess they are quite rare or pre-production samples like the Go's? I don't recall seeing any announcements for anything besides AT&T either?

I did notice the different firmwares in the Doctors yes
    webOS had so many foot prints, No I have not seen a WindsorNot, besides being in the Press and a few articles. I would love to get my hands on one, fix it's doctor build and get it working on a carrier...

There were so many other devices rumored, webOS printers, laptops, desktops, other phone types, other tablet types, hybrids etc...

Palm had so many bright stars, if they only had enough deep pockets, always wondered now with kickstarters, and other financial backing if they had the chance would they have been able to keep themselves afloat on their own enough to stay a player? As it is it does not matter but I still look at my phone and wonder what could have been now, when we had so much in webOS 2.2.4/3.0.5...
  17.    #17  
    webOS had so many foot prints, No I have not seen a WindsorNot, besides being in the Press and a few articles. I would love to get my hands on one, fix it's doctor build and get it working on a carrier...

There were so many other devices rumored, webOS printers, laptops, desktops, other phone types, other tablet types, hybrids etc...

Palm had so many bright stars, if they only had enough deep pockets, always wondered now with kickstarters, and other financial backing if they had the chance would they have been able to keep themselves afloat on their own enough to stay a player? As it is it does not matter but I still look at my phone and wonder what could have been now, when we had so much in webOS 2.2.4/3.0.5...
    My answer would be "yes". If CyanogenMod can still come to market with their own phones, FirefoxOS can (which is in all ways very inferior to webOS), Jolla can, Ubuntu can etc. I can't see why there wouldn't be room for webOS in the market. Even Windows Phone is quite successful in a number of countries across the world and has gained quite some market share in a little over a year. With the right strategy, means etc same could be done for webOS.

Ports is working hard on getting the fundamentals right first, but once those are all done, I see a bright future
  18. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    I think you misunderstand something Let me try to clarify it!
    ahh, jetzt ja ...

Thanks for clarifying, I knew that the "4G" models only had been 3G/UMTS in real, but I was not aware that there also had been 4G/LTE versions.

Thanks a lot,

regards,

thg
  19. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    No I have not seen a WindsorNot, besides being in the Press and a few articles. I would love to get my hands on one, fix it's doctor build and get it working on a carrier...
    I've seen one or other prototype, but they where mostly unusable, because not stable at all, the hardware was not yet completely supported and so on.

So I don't think that it would be possible to make a stable doctor for one of those devices :-(

In addition they where not that special like the Veer or Pre, just (more or less) boring touch-only smartphones.
  20.    #20  
    ahh, jetzt ja ...

Thanks for clarifying, I knew that the "4G" models only had been 3G/UMTS in real, but I was not aware that there also had been 4G/LTE versions.

Thanks a lot,

regards,

thg
    There have been but for Europeans there's only the expensive MC7710 upgrade route currently. US folks are luckier because of the 7700 being a lot cheaper. Might just get one and try to hack it to a 7710 for fun :-)

Last edited by Herrie; 11/25/2013 at 03:39 AM.