webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > [Patch] webOS 2: Fix low YouTube quality
[Patch] webOS 2: Fix low YouTube quality
Like Tree13Likes

Old 09/07/2013, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The YouTube API has changed recently and as a result webOS 1 and 2 play YouTube videos in a very low quality.
This patch fixes that, the video stream is set to 360p (mp4). Thanks to Nafetz, missing search results on the YouTube app on webOS <= 2.1 are also fixed by this patch.
It's still a work in progress; so far it has been tested on webOS 1.4.5, 2.1 and 2.2.4. Note that when using the 2.2.4 patch, the video title isn't being set currently on the controls overlay.

If you have problems with it, please let me know.
Installation recommended via a recent version of WebOS Quick Install.

Current versions:
webOS 2.2.4: webOS-2.2.4-v2 (2013-09-08): Readded thumbnail and video title. See attached or on gist.github.com.
webOS 1.4.5/2.1.0: webOS-2.1.0-v1 (2013-09-08): Ported the patch to 2.1.0. See attached or on gist.github.com.

Old versions:
webOS-2.2.4-v1 (2013-09-07): Initial release. See attached or on gist.github.com.
Archive Manager extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, )
FTPit! full-featured FTP client for webOS
Twitter: @pcworldSoftware; e-mail (contact, support) if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)

Last edited by pcworld; 09/08/2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: added webOS 2.2.4-v2
pcworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus, ZehHa, ArchonAdvisors and 4 others like this.
Old 09/07/2013, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Downloaded your patch and used WOSQI 4.5.0 for all of the following:
Pre+ w/ 2.1.0 received error attached
Pre 2 w/ super 2.2.4 received same error
Pre 3 w/ 2.2.5 received large error message attached
Pre 3 w/ 2.2.4 installed without error and tested YouTube and verified marked video quality improvement
Attached Images
File Type: png error.png (9.3 KB, 39 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png large.png (56.4 KB, 56 views) Email Attachment
Old 09/07/2013, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for looking into this

I'll be back in an hour or so, to have a look at precisely how this works and convert this into a 1.x patch. I appreciate that someone here is being methodical while i've been all over the place. Oh well, next time i'll do my part.. long term, unrelated stress is making me harebrained at times
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by alanmorford likes this.
Old 09/07/2013, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
Downloaded your patch and used WOSQI 4.5.0 for all of the following:
Pre+ w/ 2.1.0 received error attached
Pre 2 w/ super 2.2.4 received same error
Pre 3 w/ 2.2.5 received large error message attached
Pre 3 w/ 2.2.4 installed without error and tested YouTube and verified marked video quality improvement
Thanks for testing! I made the patch against the file of an unlocked 2.2.4 webOS doctor, and tested it successfully on my unlocked Pre 2 and Pre 3.
"Pre 2 w/ super 2.2.4", does that mean a meta-doctored Verizon Pre 2? Do you have any other YouTube-related patches applied? If not, could you please e-mail me your /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.youtube/app/controllers/home-assistant.js?
No idea about webOS 2.2.5; does the mentioned file exist there?
Will have a look at webOS 2.1.

@Remy X: If you have any questions about the patch, let me know. There are two links included in the header of the diff file.
Twitter: @pcworldSoftware; e-mail (contact, support) if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)

Last edited by pcworld; 09/08/2013 at 09:39 AM.
Thanked By: jccjmml7
Old 09/07/2013, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

FWIW, On a VZW Pre2 running 2.1, the patch still fails with all other Youtube patches removed.
jccjmml7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2013, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post
FWIW, On a VZW Pre2 running 2.1, the patch still fails with all other Youtube patches removed.
Yup, the 2.1 app is quite different to the 2.2.4 app. I'm currently rewriting the patch.
Old 09/07/2013, 07:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I've added a webOS 2.1 patch, which also includes the missing-search-results-fix.

Edit: Sorry, an earlier version of this patch contained a wrong file path. I've corrected it now.

Last edited by pcworld; 09/08/2013 at 07:25 AM.
Liked by jccjmml7 likes this.
Old 09/07/2013, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Patch works great on 2.1, even allows for all other video/youtube patches to be installed.

Thank You pcworld! As a token of appreciation, I have made a small donation and purchased another one of your applications.

Thank your for continuing to put effort into webOS for users like myself.
Thanked By: pcworld
Old 09/07/2013, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
"Pre 2 w/ super 2.2.4", does that mean a meta-doctored Verizon Pre 2?
Yes

Quote:
Do you have any other YouTube-related patches applied?
No for all devices and builds.

I just hit send on the email with the files you requested from the super 2.2.4 build for Pre 2 and from 2.2.5 for Pre 3.

Great work by the way!
Old 09/07/2013, 09:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Will you be bringing our folks running 1.4.5.1 up to 360p as well? I have a Pixi+ if you need the home-assistant.js file from that.
Old 09/07/2013, 09:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Will you be bringing our folks running 1.4.5.1 up to 360p as well? I have a Pixi+ if you need the home-assistant.js file from that.
I'm doing that right now
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by alanmorford, ericlf
Old 09/08/2013, 06:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Thank You pcworld! As a token of appreciation, I have made a small donation and purchased another one of your applications.

Thank your for continuing to put effort into webOS for users like myself.
Thanks, appreciated!

Quote:
I just hit send on the email with the files you requested from the super 2.2.4 build for Pre 2 and from 2.2.5 for Pre 3.
Your "super 2.2.4" YouTube app seems to be the 2.1 one, so try the 2.1 patch.
Your 2.2.5 file is identical to the original 2.2.4 file, so the patch should apply without any errors. I'd suggest to download the patch again from the original post and try again. If you still get the same error, remove the comments in the diff file up until the first "diff" line, though I don't think that's the problem here.

Quote:
The affected files from 1.4.5 and 2.1.0 are almost identical, in my local test the 2.1 patch applied successfully. So try the 2.1 patch and let me know if it works on a real device as well.

Last edited by pcworld; 09/08/2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09/08/2013, 07:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
The affected files from 1.4.5 and 2.1.0 are almost identical, in my local test the 2.1 patch applied successfully. So try the 2.1 patch and let me know if it works on a real device as well.
i had a PRE with 1.4.5 i try to install the patch with WebOs quick install by pc, but this happen:

i had already modified the file youtube_api.js to fix the search problem, but i had sett the permission on 666 for the file and even the folder...
why quick install sais that?
sbrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2013, 09:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrista View Post
i had already modified the file youtube_api.js to fix the search problem, but i had sett the permission on 666 for the file and even the folder...
why quick install sais that?
Revert yt-api.js to the original file before applying my patch. The videoFormat line must exactly match the following:
Code:
	videoFormat : 3,
That's a tab at the beginning, a space before and after the colon, and a comma after the 3.

Last edited by pcworld; 09/08/2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09/08/2013, 10:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Revert yt-api.js to the original file before applying my patch. The videoFormat line must exactly match the following:
Code:
	videoFormat : 3,
That's a tab at the beginning, a space before and after the colon, and a comma after the 3.
I had try that but the response of WebOs Quicj Install was exactly the same.... this is my yt-api.js that i restore; he had the tab as you say and the space like your description but can't install the patch on 1.4.5
take a look on that but seems correctly
other idea?

thx
Attached Files
File Type: zip yt-api.zip (4.7 KB, 30 views) Email Attachment
sbrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2013, 10:16 AM   #16 (permalink)

Running Super Verizon 2.2.4 on a VZ Pre 2. The 2.2.4 youtube patch had an install error, but the "youtube-quality-fix_2.1.0-v1.patch" installs and fixes the youtube low resolution issue.

Thanks.
Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10
namgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2013, 10:46 AM   #17 (permalink)

Anybody willing to update the Youtube download patch?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Old 09/08/2013, 10:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

To recap (all VZW devices):
Pre+ with 2.1.0 - 2.1.0 patch applied perfectly
Pre 2 with super 2.2.4 - 2.1.0 patch applied perfectly
Pixi+ with 1.4.5.1 - reverted yt-api.js back to videoFormat : 3 and 2.1.0 patch applied perfectly
Pre 3 with 2.2.4 - 2.2.4 patch applied perfectly
Pre 3 with 2.2.5 - reverted yt-api.js back to videoFormat : 3 and 2.2.4 patch applied perfectly

I'm officially out of devices to test and for those playing along at home that would be This webOS User, 5 and New YouTube API, 0. THANKS!!!!!!
Thanked by namgod, pcworld
Old 09/08/2013, 11:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Anybody willing to update the Youtube download patch?
I might have a look at it later on.
Quote:
Pre 3 with 2.2.5 - reverted yt-api.js back to videoFormat : 3 and 2.2.4 patch applied perfectly
Must have been coincidence, since the 2.2.4 patch does not touch yt-api.js.
Quote:
I'm officially out of devices to test and for those playing along at home that would be This webOS User, 5 and New YouTube API, 0. THANKS!!!!!!
Good to know it works on all your OS/device combinations now!
Old 09/08/2013, 11:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Must have been coincidence, since the 2.2.4 patch does not touch yt-api.js.
To be completely honest, I DID change it from 3 to 1 when we were first going through the testing phases before your patches came along and it worked for the search results fix. Your patch fixes the quality and before it fixed search results mine was already set. Not sure why that caused the problem either. I DID fresh doctor to 2.2.5 last night before your updates were made so that could have been the fix also. Either way, it works! Thanks again. Any chance these will hit Preware? And the auto-luna restart, is that a product of WOSQI or is it written in your patch? If they do make it to Preware I would hope users will still have the option of clicking restart luna "later".