Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
    The patch (or some other part of the process) isn't perfect. Re-trying usually works for me. (it also is a handy filter for distracting cat videos)

Perhaps something could be added to the patch to automatically make multiple requests, but I've no idea what the actual problem / solution is.
    unfortunately the second time that I uninstall the patch , my palm pre 2 : Spinning circle " error occurred "
    or - Could not find video in 360p . Most of the video are not displayed
    I get that too. Just keep trying. Most times I've clicked on a video to get it to play is maybe 6 times.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    I get that too. Just keep trying. Most times I've clicked on a video to get it to play is maybe 6 times.
    Thank you for this patch. Should have installed this a long time ago. It is good to have my Pre3 back on HD video!
    TouchPad 4G, TouchPad 32GB w/4.4.4
    Well it's not exactly HD, but it's far better than what it was.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    YouTube drops Flash for HTML5 video as default | The Verge

Will this affect webOS? I see also that the data API will be retired in April in favour of v3. Presumably this may affect search. (?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi Paternostro View Post
    unfortunately the second time that I uninstall the patch , my palm pre 2 : Spinning circle " error occurred "
    or - Could not find video in 360p . Most of the video are not displayed
    How did you uninstall the patch?
    Youtube on my Pre3 also says "Could not find video in 360p" since I installed the patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by shani ace View Post
    How did you uninstall the patch?
    Youtube on my Pre3 also says "Could not find video in 360p" since I installed the patch.
    I got the same error message. I uninstalled the patch from within preware. Low quality works again.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    Yeah thanks, I did the same after I realized I hadn't installed Preware yet (luckily I had the ipk from a few years ago still on my harddrive, couldn't find it online). ^^
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I had some videos which caused the error code "Could not find video in 360p" and some videos which worked.
    That happens. Keep trying. Might take 4-5 tries.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Shuswap likes this.
    Certain older YouTube apps will no longer be supported after April 2015

I suspect thay videos will still play 'inline' (which is often easier than the app & multi-reloads), but the app itself and it's handy full-screen operation? Maybe not... unless!
    YouTube Engineering and Developers Blog: Committing to the YouTube Data API v3

...another patch?

Users of those other devices are likely stuck with the situation, but there's a chance we won't be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Certain older YouTube apps will no longer be supported after April 2015

I suspect thay videos will still play 'inline' (which is often easier than the app & multi-reloads), but the app itself and it's handy full-screen operation? Maybe not... unless!
    YouTube Engineering and Developers Blog: Committing to the YouTube Data API v3

...another patch?

Users of those other devices are likely stuck with the situation, but there's a chance we won't be.
    I don't know exactly, but on my Veer the Youtube-App is still running while there are news in germany that several other platforms are already affected.

So maybe we're not affected this time...
    Maybe. I'm secretly hoping for a better patch.

It's odd that the youtube player mostly works, but often needs to be loaded multiple times. It would suggest that Youtube tries to serve something different each time until something works. API 3 might offer an easier way to request video in the formats the flash player will support.

Hmmm... as the videos will usually play fine in a webpage, but struggle in the player app, what is different in the way videos are requested from the browser? Could it be that the flash player is talking directly to youtube to negotiate the correct quality?

EDIT: At this time, I'm not seeing the message described here: Google to Kill YouTube Access for Older Apps | pivotCE and I just watched the trailer for Jurassic World. This isn't to say that it won't happen, but shouldn't I at least be seeing the warning video? Pre3 with youtube-quality-fix_2.2.4-v2.patch

Assuming this IS a problem, any youtube app for LuneOS will need to comply with API v3. Is anyone working on such an app? Is anyone thinking of patching the existing app? I've got a feeling it's a youtube API, not flash player problem. Perhaps any one working on these things could post here, maybe collaborate and kill two birds with one stone?

Or, as I think I saw someone comment somewhere, can we just steal the Firefox app? Oh wait, that's probably HTML5 video, so no good for legacy, right?

UPDATE: I had a quick look and it seems both the javascript and flashplayer api's are deprecated and it is recommended to use iframe to reference whatever the embedded player is.

There is a sample page in that last link that loads a video and plays it for 6 seconds. I modified it to change the player size to 800x480 (pre3 size) and to play for 22 secs. It loads and plays in the Pre3 browser - it doesn't fill the (landscape) screen for some reason, though it is bigger than the original size. Anyway, it works, though ironically, tapping the 'view on youtube' button opened the webOS app - which failed to play the video! More reloads no doubt required.

So in theory, could a page like this be packaged up as an app (and able to receive parameters)? It's just a webpage, but if this is API v3, maybe it's enough?

(Code attached as text file)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/21/2015 at 05:20 PM.
    Bumping this (saw some twitter chatter on the subject).

In addition, there is youtube in universal search. On the Pre3, the app just goes to the youtube search page, so what's the difference? It seems all we need is a simple web app that talks to API v3. Any comments on the post above?
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    EDIT: At this time, I'm not seeing the message described here: Google to Kill YouTube Access for Older Apps | pivotCE and I just watched the trailer for Jurassic World. This isn't to say that it won't happen, but shouldn't I at least be seeing the warning video? Pre3 with youtube-quality-fix_2.2.4-v2.patch)
    According to YouTube, the API will continue to work until early May, when the apps will only display the migration video. By late May, they'll be shut down.
    Ah well the youtube app has come to a close now. Is anyone viewing youtube videos in a different way now?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Search is working for me.

Playback, not so much, but how many times do I need to tap it?

Playback in the browser is working...

Anyone else? Only tried a couple of videos so far...

UPDATE: https://pivotce.com/2015/04/21/googl...or-older-apps/

As a matter of fact, I'm now watching a video in the app...

Sometimes I get just the spinner, sometimes I get the placeholder image, then an error message, but if I get the image I tend to assume (perhaps wrongly) that the video will work if I give it enough tries.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 05/07/2015 at 10:05 AM.
    I'm a bit surprised at the lack of interest in this thread.

1. If it is just a matter of an API change, then while other apps may fail, the youtube app, like other webOS apps, can be patched (as it has already been).

2. The new API has been published.

3. My understanding is that the Youtube app on 2.2.4 and the TouchPad is basically a web app - so it's basically a webpage holding an instance of the flashplayer. The page must take a link to a youtube video and add code to the URL that requests the video in a format suitable for the device - presumably requesting the best quality & listing successively worse, but usable qualites until a usable video is delivered.

So surely claims that the app is 'dead' are overlooking the possiblility of an HB upgrade to API v3?

Is there any technical reason why it's the end of the road for webOS & Youtube? I know it's easy to say, "Just patch it" - maybe it's a lot of effort. But is there any reason why a patch won't work?
    Rnp likes this.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast