Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Ok not a developer just a guy who can follow linux tutorials...I download the doctor and open it with some type of extraction software and look for a YouTube ipk? Or I copy the directory com.palm.app.youtube from a device running 2.1.0 and rebuild the ipk with ipk manager?
    Yep. Either way. (Note the pre installed IPK's are a few levels deep.)
    John, is there a good way to replace the 2.2.4 YouTube "app" with an actual app version?
    Good way is to use the meta doctor application and then extract the module from the Verizon Pre2 or WR Pre2 webOS 2.1.0 then copy that to the USB drive, then with novaterm copy it to its correct place (removing the newer stub app), this is what my super scripts do... (I have not released my Super Script for the Pre3/Touchpad/Touchpad4G/Go yet, but the Pre2/PrePlus/Veer/PixiPlus Super scripts are there on github for anyone to review and if you want to update them you can always fork the repo and send me an update.. or create your own and send it to Rod to add to the script collection.)

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Sure, just extract it from the 2.1 webOS doctor or a 2.1 device, and install it. That's how I put it on the Touchpad and patched it to run full screen. I believe I changed the app if to keep it from overwriting the built in "app".
    Sure sounds easy to techies, but to normal users they tell me that is some foreign language.

Ok not a developer just a guy who can follow linux tutorials...I download the doctor and open it with some type of extraction software and look for a YouTube ipk? Or I copy the directory com.palm.app.youtube from a device running 2.1.0 and rebuild the ipk with ipk manager?
    I would not create an IPK, unless you install it using the IPKG, if you use WOSQI/Preware/etc... it will install it not as a palm default app.

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Yep. Either way. (Note the pre installed IPK's are a few levels deep.)
    This is important it needs to be under the /usr/palm/applications default apps.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    I didn't specifically write a 1.4.5 patch, I just ported the 2.2.4 one to 2.1.0, and after I released it I noticed that the 2.1.0 patch applies on 1.4.5 without any changes.
    But nice you worked on it as well!
    Thanks

I appreciate that kind of attitude, having half expected something else, more like city pigeons crowded on a window ledge.. "i was here first".. "no, i was!" *bump*. I appreciate that the community as a whole doesn't see this as a race of some kind...

The problem I see is that you rely on the itag parameter to be before the url and sig parameters. However the order of the parameters seems to be random and different at every request, and is not tied to a video. There are always six parameters together that belong to one stream, and after that another six parameters follow for another stream etc. That's why I check for (i + 1) % 6 === 0 && itag === "18" in the second for loop.
    Actually, after, because i first query "forward" and then .lastIndexOf counts back towards zero from the offset of where "18" is found. But you're absolutely right. Having tested only two videos on the desktop, where both returned exactly the same param order, i hadn't accounted for this.

The regex solution is indeed more straightforward, though I'd only split by & and , first, since theoretically a key like url_encoded_fmt_stream_map could also be a value; or by sticking to your regex, make sure that the result of indexOf is an even number.
    Totally agree. That's why i had .split(/&|\=/) for the first run, and .split(/&|\=|,/) came only after the stream was decoded

As you might have noticed, I prefer what I consider "clean" code, though I agree that my current code isn't very clean and the current for loops are not a very elegant solution. To make it even more "clean", I could have stored each of the API values in an object, though that would have been even more overhead, but would have made it easier to expand the script, as I had to for 2.2.4-v2 of the patch to fetch the video title and thumbnail URL.
    I guess you like awk and sed then?
    Well, i think it's fine. It's only inelegant because it's a work-in-progress, and not "production". I can see how you added each loop and section after you had a guarantee that the previous one worked, so this was more about getting from point A to point B. Otherwise, you would have cached the array lengths to speed up each loop, and not had the URL parameter be needlessly decoded each time it was found, regardless of available format. When you're first testing something out, performance and elegance don't really matter, even to me

Sed and Awk? Those are quite powerful, but i come from a Windows background, so i don't use them often enough to remember the syntax of more complex "tricks" without going back to a guide. But when a text file that needs to be processed exceeds 5mb, they are a better tool for the job than JSJSJS/$DOM$

And BTW, when it comes to loops, i tend to prefer using while loops that count backwards, and the counter being decremented inline, where ever it is used. So you could see something like:
    while(i>0)doSomething(xz[--i]),doSomethingElse(qq,i);

Not very "clean", but compact and fast... i will actually change the last part to combine an .indexOf() with a loop, and search in 12 cell increments, to avoid cross-pollinated request URLs.

When i can confirm it working 100% of the time, i'll break everything down into a more maintainable format and merge with your patch.

But there is one more nasty bug for us to take care of at some point.. for many videos in the 3gp format, metascene first plays them normally, as you would expect. But if you go play another video and come back to this one in 20 minutes, the player will load the video, but will also demux it and play the audio at the wrong rate, so everything will sound high pitched, like chipmunks.

Since for some videos we might have to fall back on itag:17/3gp, it makes sense to find where metaview keeps its cache, and give the user a way to clear it, or even clear it automatically, because once a video "times out" the multiplexing error persists through multiple reboots

This isn't as urgent as the complete loss of video quality, but we'll probably see people with unpatched phones coming here and complaining about videos with sped-up, "chipmunk-like" voiceovers

If anyone would like a test case, here: (not broken) is one of my all-time favorite songs, so the other version of it, sung in Italian was an interesting surprise

Are you sure it uses cross app launch? I can't remember Internalz launching Preware when installing a patch, though maybe it uses cross app launching, as Internalz can be set to be the default handler for IPKs as well.
    It does. Preware does the actual installation, but Internalz lets you open a patch, edit it, save and then press "Install". Ipks go straight to Preware.

Edit: Offtopic:
    Just found this code in yt-api.jsjsjs ($in$ $1$.$4$.$5$/$2$.$1$.$0$/$2$.$2$.$4$):
    Code:
    entry.media$group.media$player.constructor == Array && entry.media$group.media$player.lenght
    Sure, that will work as intended. (If they use it at all.)
    LOL

Great catch

And besides that, if it's a controlled environment with no surprises they should have just checked for "length", because what else besides Array has length? Only a function's arguments.
    Thank you a lot, this is great. I couldn't understand the reason of the issue and I was going to Doctor my phone, but fortunately I found your patch.
    Is it possible to set the quality to 480p or 720p for the Pre 3? Or something like "set to the highest supported quality avaible"?
    I extracted the YouTube app from the super Pre 2 - 2.2.4 script, applied this patch, and the "fit screen" fix, and edited the background to fit the 480x800 screen of the Pre 3. If you have a Pre 3 and would like to PM me...go for it. Just Type works too you just have to add this version and swipe away the stock YouTube search (which is for the web). No, this does not replace the system app nor does it become a system app. Installs to /media/cryptofs... I just really like the app version better myself.

UPDATE: gave myself a bootloop. I had 2.2.4 v2 patch installed and then I installed the youtube app I mention above. BOOTLOOP! Took me almost a week to figure it out. They cannot be installed at the same time. If you do what I did, uninstall the patch first, reboot, and you should be ok. What a headache!

UPDATE 2: Turns out I was wrong as to the combination of the quality/search fix patch and the repackaged youtube app being the problem. Since I left the stock youtube package alone the phone got SERIOUSLY confused with my repackaged youtube app installation. I realized this when I carefully ensured I DID NOT install the patch along side the app. I restarted after the app install and lo-and-behold...BOOTLOOP! Novaterm to the rescue. I issued "ipkg remove com.palm.app.youtube" and then "reboot". BAM. Back in webOS. <sigh> This is what happens when there's enough information on this forum and the internet in general for folks like me who know just enough to be dangerous to SERIOUSLY screw things up. lol Long story short, do not repackage the app and install it on your Pre3 unless you first remove the stock app. Yes, the youtube mobile site launches the repackaged app regardless of it being in /media/cryptofs. The best solution would be to grab from a doctor and use meta doctor to incorporate it like it mentioned earlier in this thread. I still don't know how to do that otherwise I would do it that way!
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 10/12/2013 at 09:51 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafetz View Post
    How about including some additional feeds, since the feed "Most Viewed" delivers the same results as the feed "Popular"?
    I tested adding following code to your patch and got 4 additional channels, which seem to work
    Nice, if you want you can submit the patch to the WebOS Internals patch portal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafetz View Post
    Though I couldn't add a localisation file resources\de\strings.json for showing german labels. I don't know why, but I got an error from WebOSQuickInstall
    Maybe it's a problem with the encoding, you might need to save the patch file in a specific encoding so that the umlauts won't make problems.

@Remy X: Sorry I can't respond to all of your points, I don't have much time currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    But there is one more nasty bug for us to take care of at some point.. for many videos in the 3gp format, metascene first plays them normally, as you would expect. But if you go play another video and come back to this one in 20 minutes, the player will load the video, but will also demux it and play the audio at the wrong rate, so everything will sound high pitched, like chipmunks.

Since for some videos we might have to fall back on itag:17/3gp, it makes sense to find where metaview keeps its cache, and give the user a way to clear it, or even clear it automatically, because once a video "times out" the multiplexing error persists through multiple reboots
    Are there videos where 3PG is available but not MP4 360p? Haven't really looked into how the video player works internally, probably a bit harder to debug since it's binary.

Quote Originally Posted by WebOSLloyd View Post
    Is it possible to set the quality to 480p or 720p for the Pre 3? Or something like "set to the highest supported quality avaible"?
    In the patch, in the line containing
    Code:
    if ((i + 1) % 6 === 0 && itag === "18") {
    replace the number in itag === "18" with 22 for 720p, 37 for 1080p, or 38 for 4K. Though note that the code currently doesn't support falling back to a lower resolution, so if it can't find the video in the specified format loading the video will fail with an error message.

I hope I'll get to submit the patch to WebOS Internal's patch portal tomorrow. Since I don't have much time I won't change much, if anything then I'll eliminate the redundant comma-split for-loop and split streams by a regex instead.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    In the patch, in the line containing
    Code:
    if ((i + 1) % 6 === 0 && itag === "18") {
    replace the number in itag === "18" with 22 for 720p, 37 for 1080p, or 38 for 4K. Though note that the code currently doesn't support falling back to a lower resolution, so if it can't find the video in the specified format loading the video will fail with an error message.
    Ouch, that's bad. Watching a video at 720p using data connection without the possibility to lower the quality is a data-limit killer. It seems too difficult to develop a sort of "choose the quality you want" patch. Thank you for your answer!
  8.    #48  
    It seems too difficult to develop a sort of "choose the quality you want" patch.
    It's not very difficult, it just needs somebody to do it. I'm afraid I won't have time for the next few weeks/months, maybe someone else will pick this up.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    I don't mind the the low quality so much as I am now able to play videos I had no chance of playing before while on 3g. So a patch to be able to select quality would be very nice, would pay big money for that.

Another thing is I really like the 2.2.4 version of the youtube "app" but it's annoying in one respect: Way too many clicks to get the video to play. It would be nice if there was a way to get it to play in portrait mode like on other phones instead of launching the player and having to press play again. Or if there was some way to get the player to just start playing the selected video when it's launched.
    It's not very difficult, it just needs somebody to do it. I'm afraid I won't have time for the next few weeks/months, maybe someone else will pick this up.
    That's good, since I don't know anything about developing patches or apps my opinion about this one was wrong. However I'm sad to hear you won't be able to do it. I hope somebody will... That would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I don't mind the the low quality so much as I am now able to play videos I had no chance of playing before while on 3g. So a patch to be able to select quality would be very nice, would pay big money for that.

Another thing is I really like the 2.2.4 version of the youtube "app" but it's annoying in one respect: Way too many clicks to get the video to play. It would be nice if there was a way to get it to play in portrait mode like on other phones instead of launching the player and having to press play again. Or if there was some way to get the player to just start playing the selected video when it's launched.
    Actually when I tap on the video in YouTube the player is launched and, after a few seconds of buffering, it starts playing automatically. It's strange you have to tap "Play" even after the player is launched.
    Actually when I tap on the video in YouTube the player is launched and, after a few seconds of buffering, it starts playing automatically. It's strange you have to tap "Play" even after the player is launched.
    Not sure if we talking about the same thing. I am reffering to the behavior of the 2.2.4 youtube app which is just a url bookmark. So I am running 2.1 on a pre2 with the 2.2.4 youtube bookmarked and it takes no less than three taps to finally play the video. m.youtube.com/?use_blazer=1&tsp=1
    By the way, It would be so nice if there was a way to make the video player not play landscape only even if it has black bars at top and bottom, I am not a fan of turning my phone sideways unless absolutely necessary. Maybe its possible, kalemsoft media player can do it. What you guys think?
    Not sure if we talking about the same thing. I am reffering to the behavior of the 2.2.4 youtube app which is just a url bookmark. So I am running 2.1 on a pre2 with the 2.2.4 youtube bookmarked and it takes no less than three taps to finally play the video. m.youtube.com/?use_blazer=1&tsp=1
    Yes we are. When I open it and I search for a video, I need two taps for a video to be played: tap on the video itself in the list, then on its preview in the following screen. After that, the player is opened and automatically starts playing the video.
    By the way, It would be so nice if there was a way to make the video player not play landscape only even if it has black bars at top and bottom, I am not a fan of turning my phone sideways unless absolutely necessary. Maybe its possible, kalemsoft media player can do it. What you guys think?
    I don't think it's unbearable. In my opinion the player needs to be improved in other ways, for example buffering. In iOS, you can leave your phone until it fully loads the video, so that if you have a weak connection you can watch it later without interruptions.
    Yes we are. When I open it and I search for a video, I need two taps for a video to be played: tap on the video itself in the list, then on its preview in the following screen. After that, the player is opened and automatically starts playing the video.

I don't think it's unbearable. In my opinion the player needs to be improved in other ways, for example buffering. In iOS, you can leave your phone until it fully loads the video, so that if you have a weak connection you can watch it later without interruptions.
    Ok. We have different experience or counting differently. Does iphone play videos in landscape only too?
    I recall there was a thread to change webos buffering but I never tried it.
    Works great in HP Veer 2.1.2. Downloaded the patch to my laptop, copied using Wi-Fi Sharing and installed through Internalz Pro
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
    what I would LOVE to have is a way to play YouTube videos that aren't allowed on mobile. On the touchpad I do it by user agent change to desktop and they play great. On the phone I tried to change the user agent and it brings up the desktop version of YouTube site, but if you click on a video it loads it in the player and bombs out cause it knows its a mobile trying to play it. I removed the YouTube app and now clicking on a video does nothing. If I copy the url to a video and paste it in the browser it never loads, just sits there forever. Is it the browser causing this? Does the 2.x browser detect it and refuse to load it? I'm not sure how to fix it from here..
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    On the Touchpad do you change the user agent of the browser or do you have to run the thing that patches the flash player to report that it's the desktop version? I remember a lot of people were doing that so they could watch Hulu shows. I don't know that there was ever a flash player patch for phones but presumably it would be possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    what I would LOVE to have is a way to play YouTube videos that aren't allowed on mobile. On the touchpad I do it by user agent change to desktop and they play great. On the phone I tried to change the user agent and it brings up the desktop version of YouTube site, but if you click on a video it loads it in the player and bombs out cause it knows its a mobile trying to play it. I removed the YouTube app and now clicking on a video does nothing. If I copy the url to a video and paste it in the browser it never loads, just sits there forever. Is it the browser causing this? Does the 2.x browser detect it and refuse to load it? I'm not sure how to fix it from here..
    Mmmh, I think the true YouTube app is the one which comes out after you tap on a video to play it. The rest is just the browser with YouTube in mobile version. Perhaps you removed YouTube player/said-to-be-app (when it's just an URL linking to YT mobile), therefore you can't play videos from YouTube anymore. Unfortunately I don't know how to fix this...
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
    The YouTube API has changed recently and as a result webOS 1 and 2 play YouTube videos in a very low quality.
    This patch fixes that, the video stream is set to 360p (mp4). Thanks to Nafetz, missing search results on the YouTube app on webOS <= 2.1 are also fixed by this patch.
    It's still a work in progress; so far it has been tested on webOS 1.4.5, 2.1 and 2.2.4. Note that when using the 2.2.4 patch, the video title isn't being set currently on the controls overlay.

If you have problems with it, please let me know.
    Installation recommended via a recent version of WebOS Quick Install.

Current versions:
    webOS 2.2.4: webOS-2.2.4-v2 (2013-09-08): Readded thumbnail and video title. See attached or on gist.github.com.
    webOS 1.4.5/2.1.0: webOS-2.1.0-v1 (2013-09-08): Ported the patch to 2.1.0. See attached or on gist.github.com.

Old versions:
    webOS-2.2.4-v1 (2013-09-07): Initial release. See attached or on gist.github.com.
    I have my Pre plugged into my PC via USB (Just Charge). It's in Developer mode. I clicked the Globe icon in WebOS Quick Install. I'm not a techie or mobile applications programmer and I don't know what to do with the youtube-quality-fix_v1.patch file. The patch isn't found in the list of patches under the "Patches" tab?
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
    I have my Pre plugged into my PC via USB (Just Charge). It's in Developer mode. I clicked the Globe icon in WebOS Quick Install. I'm not a techie or mobile applications programmer and I don't know what to do with the youtube-quality-fix_v1.patch file. The patch isn't found in the list of patches under the "Patches" tab?
    You're right. It's not there. The links to download the appropriate patch are in the original post that you quoted.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast