Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Has anyone seen a patch that would allow us to "press & hold" a key to get the numbers & special characters instead of pressing a combination of the orange/alt option button and a key? Would this even be possible with the keyboard implementation?

I've been using an Android virtual keyboard that allows this for months and have grown accustomed to it for 1-2 symbol entries in a message. I'm on my Pre- until my contract is up then it's on to the Veer or Pre3 so the patch will get some good use from me at least.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Press two times show & hold to the special characters, no?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    So, what exactly do you expect to see?

That if you release a key immediately you'll get a letter, but if you press-hold, you'll get a symbol or number?

That's doable, though i don't know which file holds the "master" text input behavior. Editing the Mojo framework should probably do the trick though.

I have a Pre+, so i'll look into it tonight.
    I would love to see this on my Pre 3 because whenever my friends "attempt" to use my phone, (they have never heard of webOS) they always hold down the keys for the symbol/number to show up. I feel like they're pressing hard too much so I worry that the keys might not be leveled anymore, so I refrain from letting anyone use my phone now :|
    Can anyone tell me what is the correct behavior?

Does a letter appear immediately when you press the key, but continuing to hold it cause the same letter to change to a symbol?

webOS: d > ddddddddddddddd

Android: d > 4

is this it???
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Can anyone tell me what is the correct behavior?

Does a letter appear immediately when you press the key, but continuing to hold it cause the same letter to change to a symbol?

webOS: d > ddddddddddddddd

Android: d > 4

is this it???
    • On Android:
    • --In the text field
    • -----The letters aren't printed to the screen until the key is released.
    • --In the Virtual keyboard
    • ------When held, a popit will appear above the key with a the special character indicating you've pressed long enough
    • What I think would work with a hardware keyboard:
    • --Letter isn't printed to the screen until released or hold is detected
    • -----Currently letters are printed as a key is pressed
    • --When a "held key" is detected print the symbol without waiting for key release
    • -----If Symbol key is pressed (single or locked into alt mode), reverse held key behavior
    • --------If key is detected as held + alt, print normal Letter instead of symbol
    • --If it isn't held long enough, print the normal key on release.

Thanks for replying Remy! Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've been painting my house all weekend.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Thanks for replying

i almost figured that everyone is waiting for me to complete the patch, without knowing what's actually being requested

I did map out the keyboard already, to know which letter corresponds to which symbol, and whether there is a keycode-charcode mismatch on some keys (yes on some), where the code pair for a symbol differs from those used by full-sized computers.

Question for you, do you use a QWERTY or QWERTZ layout?
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Thanks for replying

i almost figured that everyone is waiting for me to complete the patch, without knowing what's actually being requested

I did map out the keyboard already, to know which letter corresponds to which symbol, and whether there is a keycode-charcode mismatch on some keys (yes on some), where the code pair for a symbol differs from those used by full-sized computers.

Question for you, do you use a QWERTY or QWERTZ layout?
    I use the QWERTY layout.

I'm not sure what the other people are expecting. I was actually expecting someone to reply with the name of the patch that does this. I figured I couldn't be the only one who came back from android missing the hold key functionality.
    hmm qwertz could also be useful
    (if old webOS behaviour Opt+key still works)
    Last edited by gizmo21; 06/10/2013 at 02:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Will I need to add the beta feed to my Preware or do you have enough devices to test this out and release it to the normal patch feed Remy?

In less than a week I'll have a spare Pre- I wont mind beta testing things on.
    I only have a Pre+, so i'm releasing the patch for that version first. The rest will have to be tested in an emulator

i'm not familiar with how the Preware beta feeds work, so i intend to just post the patch here as an attachment
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Sounds good.

[Edit]
    I'm now completely switched to my Pre 3. I have a Pre- and Veer I don't mind emergency doctoring for testing.
    Last edited by Honis; 06/28/2013 at 12:10 PM.
    Remy, did you get anywhere on this?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE