webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > Will a Patch be ever created to Badges for icons ?
Will a Patch be ever created to Badges for icons ?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By geekpeter

Old 04/21/2013, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

With some many patches on WebOS phones, have any homebrew developer has future idea plans of releasing a patch that would create badges notifications for the launcher on WebOS. The iPhone uses badges to indicate that new messages,email,calls(red bubble with number on top) are pending in your phone.....and when once viewed, the badges icon will count down accordingly or disappear when all pending information has been seen.

Would be nice implementation to see a patch like that for WebOS....

Old 04/22/2013, 12:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

You could theoretically do this for applications the same way that the calendar app updates it's icon.

It's not really a "patch", though, unless you did it on an individual app basis. It'd be more like something that you'd need to really put some design work into, and then patch all the apps to somehow use it. There is not currently a unified notification system in webOS, each app is responsible for bringing up it's own notifications, and maintaining them. (This is why all your notifications go away when you reboot)

I seem to recall propsing once on the dev forum, a Synergy system for notifications that would handle some sort of this kind of thing, but Synergy might be a little overkill, considering it's dependence on wanting to have user account information for the things that talk to it.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2013, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

I want something like this....itīs a copy of the iPhone...but it may be useful!!!

Samsung Galaxy S4 + Jailbreak / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + Jailbreak 6.1.3
sshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2013, 04:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshaka View Post
I want something like this....itīs a copy of the iPhone...but it may be useful!!!
Yeah, but the copying isn't really a problem anymore because Motorola copied it already with their 4.x skin on Android and not to mention Windows Phone that also uses it. So it's more mainstream these days

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2013, 05:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

i actually find them ultimatly annoying on my ipad3, dispise having them around esp when apps like dropbox on the ipad bugout and keep giving phantom numbers when theres nothing left to upload/download.

Maybe if it was a per-app option instead of global it would be less irritating, imho tho it makes the icons look untidy, id settle for just having a dim transparent glow underneath the icon, much like the animated glow we get under the appicon in a card when our apps load up, only a statis one instead.
Old 05/03/2013, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Yeah, but the copying isn't really a problem anymore because Motorola copied it already with their 4.x skin on Android and not to mention Windows Phone that also uses it. So it's more mainstream these days
That's right!!! LOL

Samsung Galaxy S4 + Jailbreak / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + Jailbreak 6.1.3
sshaka is offline   Reply With Quote