webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > [Patch] SMS Vibrate w/ Tweaks Support
[Patch] SMS Vibrate w/ Tweaks Support
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nickpl
  • 1 Post By nickpl
  • 1 Post By nickpl

Old 01/05/2013, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Based on the work Abyssul did here: [Patch] SMS/IM Vibrate Extension I have built a new patch.

This patch at its most basic enables a 2 second vibrate on SMS... but the cool thing is that it will check to see if it should Vibrate. What I mean is if you, in the sound preferences screen, have the phone set not to vibrate then it won't. Or (more importantly to me) if you are on a call it won't vibrate. This was the biggest issue I had with Abyssul's original patch.

Also, I have added tweaks integration. What this means is that you can change the length or pattern of the alert using tweaks. (see this post for a better explanation of the settings: [Patch] SMS Vibrate w/ Tweaks Support)

The phone still makes the normal SMS vibrate before using this patch. If that bothers enough people I can change it, but it doesn't bother me enough to fix it. I have submitted the patch to Preware (first patch! ) so you can get it there soon. I have only tested this patch on an ATT and VZW Pre3 running 2.2.4. It might work on other phones too, but no promises, so please install this patch at your own risk!

I spent quite a bit of time on this (mostly because I had to teach myself how to write a patch), if you like this patch and it helps you, a small (or large) donation would definitely encourage me work on more patches!

Donate!

Please let me know if you have any problems with the patch on Pre3's... If you have problems with it on other WebOS phones I'll try my best to help, but as I only have Pre3s that's the only WebOS phone I claim this patch will work on (although, it should work on the Veer and Pre2... I think).

Also, I would think this goes without saying, but you must uninstall Abyssul's patch first

{Edit}Currently the patch can only be installed on WebOS 2.2.4 from Preware. I have attached the patch and tweaks file to this post if you would like to try it on your own. The .patch file can be installed with WebOSQuick Install. The .json file must be sent with WebOS quick install to the following directory if you want to enable tweaks support: "/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/services/org.webosinternals.tweaks.prefs/preferences"
Attached Files
File Type: zip smsvibrate.zip (1.4 KB, 23 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by nickpl; 01/16/2013 at 09:32 PM.
nickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked by CptOx, hfeb, netwrkr9, Rnp, ulmens
Old 01/05/2013, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Where is the patch?
michel_ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2013, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel_ng View Post
Where is the patch?
it should be in Preware shortly; if it seems to take a long time I'll post it here.
Old 01/06/2013, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your work and add tweaks integration.
To be your first patch it shows that you have made a great effort to make it perfect.
Donate $20.
Old 01/06/2013, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptOx View Post
Thanks for your work and add tweaks integration.
To be your first patch it shows that you have made a great effort to make it perfect.
Donate $20.
Thanks!

The Tweaks integration definitely took some doing but it seemed like a better idea than having to make 3 or 4 different patches. However, my understanding of tweaks integration is not very good so sometimes the patch will lag a little before the vibrate happens. If it bothers people I can look into speeding it up.

-Nick
Old 01/07/2013, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Tanks for the patch, I have been looking for this, and the Tweaks integration is a plus. I just need a bit of info about "Period", what is this? Are the numbers milliseconds? Finally, what do I have to restart to activate the settings, Messagin/Luna or phone?
hfeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2013, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfeb View Post
Tanks for the patch, I have been looking for this, and the Tweaks integration is a plus. I just need a bit of info about "Period", what is this? Are the numbers milliseconds? Finally, what do I have to restart to activate the settings, Messagin/Luna or phone?
Sorry, I probably should have included this information in the patch. Yes all the numbers are in milliseconds, so 1000 would be 1 second.

The period is alittle strange (not something I made, this is how Palm has it), basicly is it controls the time between vibrations. For example if you had the duration set to 1000 and the period set to 100 then you will get a vibrate pulse every 100 ms for 1000 ms, so in simple terms you would get 10 vibration pulses over the course of 1 second. Pretty much any setting below 30 for the period is too short to notice.

You don't have to do anything special to activate the changes they should take effect instantly. However I have noticed that with tweaks once you change a number you have to touch outside the box (so that the text box loses focus) before you quit out of tweaks.
Old 01/16/2013, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hi, Where can i download the patch to try on a pre2?
menashe04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by menashe04 View Post
Seems to only be in preware at this time
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I just updated the first post with a zip file of the patch and the tweaks add-in. I make no promises it will work (and its not my fault if your pre blows up )... but I think it might. Good luck!
Old 01/16/2013, 10:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpl View Post
I just updated the first post with a zip file of the patch and the tweaks add-in. I make no promises it will work (and its not my fault if your pre blows up )... but I think it might. Good luck!
Thanks. Will let you know how it goes.
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 06:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

i tried installing it with webosqi on my pre2 and i got an error message, i attached a screenshot,
can anyone help me please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Picture.jpg (91.2 KB, 15 views) Email Attachment
Old 01/17/2013, 07:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
i tried installing it with webosqi on my pre2 and i got an error message, i attached a screenshot,
can anyone help me please?
That's an error message I've never seen WebOSQuick install give before. My first thought would be that either you are not connected to the internet (unlikely because I see the "internet" globe down by your network connection) or the WebOS Internals servers are down (also unlikely, they would have tweeted something if they were down).

I would check any firewalls you have on your computer and make sure they are not blocking WebOSQuick install (or just turn your firewalls completely off temporarily) and try it.
Old 01/17/2013, 09:39 AM   #14 (permalink)

so i tried it a different way,
i unzipped the file and emailed the patch file my phone,
i tried installing it with internalz,
and it tried and i got a similar error message

"error
patch installation failed.
AUSMT is missing. it is required for patching"

any help available?
Old 01/17/2013, 10:06 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
so i tried it a different way,
i unzipped the file and emailed the patch file my phone,
i tried installing it with internalz,
and it tried and i got a similar error message

"error
patch installation failed.
AUSMT is missing. it is required for patching"

any help available?
If you go to Preware, click on the "List of Everything" and then start typing "AUSMT" one of the install choices should be AUSMT Scripts. That is what I believe that error message is looking for... The odd thing is that AUSMT should be installed automaticly, do you already have Preware on your phone and have you ever installed a patch from it before?
Old 01/18/2013, 07:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

Installed as described and all went smoothly. will report back for after testing. Great Job!

Edit:
After install, tweaks adjustment has no effect on duration or pattern of vibration. Reinstalled patch and checked file for tweaks integration is in place via internalz pro. Any suggestions

Last edited by ulmens; 01/20/2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: continue eval
ulmens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2013, 12:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulmens View Post
Installed as described and all went smoothly. will report back for after testing. Great Job!

Edit:
After install, tweaks adjustment has no effect on duration or pattern of vibration. Reinstalled patch and checked file for tweaks integration is in place via internalz pro. Any suggestions
Ok so I'm going to assume that you have the newest verison of tweaks installed and other tweaks work.
I have attached to this post a special verison of the patch with extra debuging code. What I would like you to do is uninstall the current patch from preware and then install this patch using internalz pro or webosquickinstall. Then make a change to the patch in tweaks. Then open lumberjack (install from preware apps) and start a custom log with com.palm.app.messaging (you can just click on follow log) and have someone send you a text (or send yourself one if you carrier supports that).

Then if you could either pm me the log file or email it to me at patch [at} a-moron.com and I will check it out and see it that tells me what might be the problem.

Thanks!

-Nick
Attached Images
File Type: png lumberjack_2013-22-01_123330.png (77.9 KB, 4 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by nickpl; 01/23/2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Removed the debug patch as it is no longer needed
Liked by tylla likes this.
Old 01/23/2013, 09:01 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulmens View Post

Edit:
Ok so I got your emailed logs, and the problem is totally not what I expected. It looks like there may be a problem with the way I am checking to see if the phone is on a call. If you could remove the patch and then install the patch I have on this post and email me the logs again that should let me know if that is indeed the problem.

Thanks again for the help testing this ulmens!

-Nick
Attached Files
File Type: patch smsvibratedebug_v2.patch (5.3 KB, 6 views) Email Attachment
Liked by ulmens likes this.
Thanked By: ulmens

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0