webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > [Patch] New Device Menu
[Patch] New Device Menu
Like Tree92Likes

Old 01/03/2013, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

We've had pretty much the same old Device Menu for over three years now. So, I set out to update it and make it the best quick settings menu on any mobile OS. It's still a work in progress, but the framework is there and things are shaping up very nicely.

What does it do?
This patch completely remodels the device menu to make it more efficient and useful. It gets rid of the 'tree' view and replaces it with a tabs interface. This is especially useful on phones like the Veer since they have very limited screen real estate.

This patch has been tested to work on a 2.2.4 AT&T Pre3 and 2.1.2 AT&T Veer. It should work on most (all?) webOS 2.x phones.

How do I use it?
Tap an icon to see the available settings for that group. This patch will remember your last open tab and automatically expand it when reopening the Device Menu.

Gestures! Are you familiar with ThumbNav or Advanced Browser Gestures? If so, you already know how these work. I'll explain it for the rest of you. If you drag your finger onto the screen from the side bezel, New Device Menu will open the tab to the left or right of your currently open tab.. Swiping in from the right will select the tab to the left, while swiping from the left will go to the right.

What options are included?
Wifi tab
- Your standard wifi controls. To turn off Wifi, just tap the Wifi status row.
- Cycle Wifi: If you tap and hold the Wifi status row, it will turn the radio off then on again. This is useful mostly on the Pre3 to fix it's sometimes-buggy wifi.
Bluetooth tab
- Noting special here, just the standard bluetooth options.
Location tab
- Turn GPS on/off
- Turn Google Location Service on/off
- Open Location Preferences app
Volume tab
- Adjust ringtone volume
- Adjust media volume
- Adjust system volume
Screen tab
- Adjust screen brightness
- Toggle Rotation Lock (You'll need xwTweak installed for this to work)
- Toggle flashlight on/off (yea, I need a better place for this)
Phone tab
- Toggle phone radio on/off
- Toggle data usage on/off
- Select data network (auto/2G/3G)
- Toggle 'Roam Only' mode
- Toggle Airplane Mode

Attachment 238375

The screenshots above include my Glass Effect Suite (Charcoal) theme. It is not included in this patch.

Where can I get it?
USA: NewDeviceMenu-beta3-usa.patch
ROW: NewDeviceMenu-beta3-row.patch

This is a beta only because this patch changes a LOT of things and I can't test it on every phone and webOS version. I've only been able to test it on a 2.2.4 AT&T Pre3 and a 2.1.2 AT&T Veer. If you encounter any issues, please let me know in this thread. Thanks!

Known Issues
- When switching to the Bluetooth tab, the date container gets hidden for a split second. This makes the rest of the content jump around. This is purely a cosmetic issue, but will be fixed as soon as I figure it out. I've noticed this only on my Pre3; the Veer seems fine.

Patch Conflicts
New Device Menu is compatible with all of sconix's Advanced Menu patches except Advanced Device Menu. This will also conflict with most Device Menu patches, so please remove them before installing.

Changelog
v4 (beta 3)
- Added Data Network switcher
- Added gesture controls to swipe between tabs (See 'How do I use it?' above for more info)
- Moved the device menu to center of screen
- A bit of restyling here and there
- Major code cleanup
- Added separate ROW version
v3 (beta 2)
- Added Rotation Lock toggle
- Changed 'Flight Mode' to 'Airplane Mode'
v2 (beta 1)
- Fixed sliders
- Added ability to launch Location Preferences app
- Added System and Ringtone volume sliders
- Your last open tab is auto-expanded when you reopen the Device Menu
- New icons for the tabs
- Added ability to cycle wifi
- Cleaned up styling to maintain a consistent experience between tabs
- Cleaned up the code
v1 (alpha)
- Initial testing release

Last edited by Garrett92C; 07/17/2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: .
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by intron, Jozz, Rnp and 31 others like this.
Old 01/03/2013, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

awesome!
Adam Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2013, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

One suggestion: when toggling WiFi or Bluetooth on/off, can you not close the device menu? it would be great if it could stay active until i manually dismiss it.
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 01/03/2013, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Marks View Post
One suggestion: when toggling WiFi or Bluetooth on/off, can you not close the device menu? it would be great if it could stay active until i manually dismiss it.
Sure thing. I'll add that to my list of things to do.
Old 01/03/2013, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Got one thought. one thing that I miss with this new menu is knowing which WiFi network I am connected to, regardless of where I am in the device menu. Before, you could always see that. Now, you have to manually go into WiFi and look. Also, its a little off-putting not having a separate on/off toggle for WiFi.

So, any way to (1) change the WiFi to a on/off, and (2) somehow always show the WiFi network (if any) that you are connected to, just as you show the current date? what do you think?

Adam
Old 01/03/2013, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

not going to be able to recognise my own phone soon if you keep making all these new fancy patches

looks good, keep em coming \o/
Old 01/03/2013, 03:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Marks View Post
Got one thought. one thing that I miss with this new menu is knowing which WiFi network I am connected to, regardless of where I am in the device menu. Before, you could always see that. Now, you have to manually go into WiFi and look. Also, its a little off-putting not having a separate on/off toggle for WiFi.

So, any way to (1) change the WiFi to a on/off, and (2) somehow always show the WiFi network (if any) that you are connected to, just as you show the current date? what do you think?

Adam
I'm not quite sure I understand the Wifi on/off issue... :/

The other ideas are nice and I'll have to play around with them.
Old 01/03/2013, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
not going to be able to recognise my own phone soon if you keep making all these new fancy patches

looks good, keep em coming \o/
Well, the webOS phone UI has been pretty much the same for the past 3+ years. It was due for some updating! lol
Old 01/03/2013, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
I'm not quite sure I understand the Wifi on/off issue... :/

The other ideas are nice and I'll have to play around with them.
i guess i just meant that if you are already connected to a WiFi network, you dont see an option to turn off. You have to know to tap on the WiFi line that shows the current network. Same for Bluetooth. But i guess this is just me nitpicking.. its fine the way it is, but as I said before, I would like to know my WiFi network i am on regardless of where I am in the menu.

again, great work!

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
Audemars02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2013, 03:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

FYI: I installed all of sconix's Advanced Menu patches (except Device Menu) and found that they place nicely with New Device Menu.
Old 01/03/2013, 03:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
i guess i just meant that if you are already connected to a WiFi network, you dont see an option to turn off. You have to know to tap on the WiFi line that shows the current network. Same for Bluetooth. But i guess this is just me nitpicking.. its fine the way it is, but as I said before, I would like to know my WiFi network i am on regardless of where I am in the menu.

again, great work!
Ah, ok. I'll see what I can do about making it more clear.
Old 01/03/2013, 03:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Boo. It looks like the icon I used for the Phone tab is missing on some devices. I'll have to find a new one. The tab will still work fine; it's just missing the image.
Old 01/03/2013, 04:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

I want this! My Pre 3 volume buttons don't work, I'd love a patch to control the volume instead of an app. But when I try to remove Jason's flashlight patch, I get an error.
Old 01/03/2013, 04:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Love this! You keep breathing new life into webOS. Thank you for all your work.

Semi-random question but is there any way to make this compatible/work with: xwTweak 0.1.0 - Global Accelerometer Switch

It is an accelerometer switch for webOS (2x?). There is a patch file in there that adds an option to the device menu. Besides the flashlight it is one of my most-used things in the device menu.
Old 01/03/2013, 05:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

6 of 12 hunks failed when modding devicemenu-assistant.js

time to track down which of my other device menu mods are clashing.
Old 01/03/2013, 05:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
6 of 12 hunks failed when modding devicemenu-assistant.js

time to track down which of my other device menu mods are clashing.
I had to remove the Device Menu megamix (duh!) and the Cycle WiFi in Menu patches

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
Audemars02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by Garrett92C, Jozz
Old 01/03/2013, 05:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
I had to remove the Device Menu megamix (duh!) and the Cycle WiFi in Menu patches
already removed the device menu one, however now you mentioned Cycle WiFi, im up and running, cheers.
Old 01/03/2013, 05:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

liking the patch so far Garrett, quick question, is it possible or dumb to be able to cycle through your tab/icons by sliding our finger from 1 icon to the next rather than tapping them individually.

again a nitpick request

also when there is a large list of items in the menu, like my long wifi list, can your tab icons remain at the top of the screen/list and the items list under them, so the icons remain visible at all times rather than vanish to the top of the list, requiring a scroll back to top to access another tab.

not sure if i made that last bit clear, i know what i mean in my head tho ¬ ¬
Old 01/03/2013, 07:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

Does not install on my Pre2 meta-doctored 2.2.4, just get continuous spinning circle...........?
rickeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2013, 08:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
I want this! My Pre 3 volume buttons don't work, I'd love a patch to control the volume instead of an app. But when I try to remove Jason's flashlight patch, I get an error.
What kind of error are you getting when trying to remove Jason's patch?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0