webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > [Patch] Media Indexer No-Index Locations
[Patch] Media Indexer No-Index Locations
Like Tree5Likes

Old 12/19/2012, 06:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

This patch will allow you to set custom locations to exclude Media Indexer from searching. Once applied, any new files that match the paths you specify will not be added to the index.

This patch has been submitted to Preware and should show up soon.

To set up the patch, install it first. Then in your USB drive create a file called ".nomedialist". Inside it provide a JSON string array that contains the paths you'd like to exclude:
Code:
[
    "/media/internal/appdata",
    "/media/internal/downloads/random",
    ".wav"
]
If you add any new files that contain the paths you've listed, they will not show up in your various media apps and QuickOffice. Do not make your pattern too generalized, or else you may have little or none of your new files indexed.

If you'd like to clear out the files you do not want shown in your apps, do the following.
  1. Install Impostah from Preware.
  2. Open Impostah, and select Databases.
  3. Under Database Kind, pick a kind that begins with "media".
  4. Tap Query.
  5. From the app menu, select Delete All Items, and confirm.
  6. Repeat for each item database kind that starts with "media".
  7. Open a terminal to your device.
  8. Type the following:
    Code:
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.filenotifyd/reset {}
The indexer will rescan all your (non hidden) files, and add them according to the rules. Your user-created playlists will not be deleted (they're in a different database kind).

Developer's note: This patch was a PITA to make. It took me an entire night to figure it out. I blame Palm for not testing their non-minified code on a production environment. It ended up that the source code never worked and I had to go into the minified version and add code there. I don't understand it.

If you're going to ask me "why not do it Android style?", I'll answer you with "they work on different principles". It'll be hard for me to check for the presence of those files and it'll be extremely inefficient.
Attached Files
File Type: patch filenotifyd-nomedia.patch (6.1 KB, 37 views) Email Attachment
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor

Last edited by GMMan; 12/19/2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Possibly invalid patch updated
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sanaking, namgod, geekpeter and 2 others like this.
Old 12/19/2012, 07:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

legend, do hate some homebrew apps where you can't change their extra data to use a hidden folder and their gfx/sounds get indexed by mistake

would maybe stop android/webos users from indexing their android apps gfx as well.
Old 12/31/2012, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hmmm. I tried the Impostah instructions to re-index. Had the effect of doing a full erase. I ended up doctoring!
nzpling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2012, 10:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

yup, that sure would be awesome to have it ignore the android directory. or patch android to use a ".android" dir so it's hidden to begin with.. sigh.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2013, 07:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

how you provide a JSON string array?
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2013, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Check the OP for a sample, and try working off of that. Every path is surrounded by quotes, and ends with a comma after the quote, unless it's the last item in the list. The entire list is surrounded by a matching pair of square brackets.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2013, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Check the OP for a sample, and try working off of that. Every path is surrounded by quotes, and ends with a comma after the quote, unless it's the last item in the list. The entire list is surrounded by a matching pair of square brackets.
I created the folder instead of filename, sorry for misunderstanding, now will redo correctly

this is brilliant removed all my android pics and thumbnails , by just adding /media/internals/Android to .nomedialist

Last edited by Firepower; 01/08/2013 at 03:20 AM.
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2013, 03:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

thx gmman after reboot all my /Android/ cached images of c't magazine (must have been 200 dirs) are gone in webOS apps now

great work
Old 06/17/2013, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

I have the opposite problem - my PhotoRoll in my Pre3 Photos app is missing. I checked for it using Impostah, in the database kind, com.palm.media.image.album:1, and do not find it. I see entries for wallpapers, messaging, downloads, etc. but not one that references the /media/internal/DCIM/100PALM folder. Is there a way for me to create it? I've tried several methods suggested in the forums for re-indexing but those haven't lead to the re-creation of the PhotoRoll database entry.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06/17/2013, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

@hrhoadestry app: Media Indexer Refesh & reboot
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2013, 07:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Guess I didn't specify earlier. I need this for my Pre3. The Media Indexer patch appears specific to the Touchpad.

Thanks for reply, though.
Old 06/18/2013, 10:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Media Indexer Refresh is an Preware app running on my Pre2 2.2.4, so should be running on Pre3:

http://m.webosnation.com/sites/webos..._0.1.0_all.ipk
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2013, 01:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

Hi

What works for me on my Pre3 to have the media indexer have a new look is to use Internalz Pro to hide a folder from webOS (in my case usually /media/internal/music) and unhide it again.
After several seconds, the media indexer seems to recognize that and re-indexes that folder (or all of them, I didn't check that, yet). Without a reboot that is. It just takes ages to find all my 2000 mp3s

I also noticed, that the media indexer refresh app only shows folders that are visible to webOS, so if you can't see the DCIM folder there, it can't be indexed.

Regards,
UW
Old 06/20/2013, 09:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
Media Indexer Refresh is an Preware app running on my Pre2 2.2.4, so should be running on Pre3:

http://m.webosnation.com/sites/webos..._0.1.0_all.ipk
Thanks, gizmo21. I'll give it a try (it didn't show up under my Pre3's preware list - but did under my Touchpad's).

----------
Update:

This did not work for me. It did not create the photoroll or other name for the pictures in the DCIM/100PALM subdirectory and did not list them using the Photos app. Additionally, when I take a picture using the camera, it shows the tumbnail in the lower left of the screen, but tapping it does nothing (though using internalz, I see the picture in the DCIM/100PALM directory).

Using Impostah (databases | media.image.album:1), I see that there are entries for my /box, /screencaptures, /Messaging, /wallpapers, and /downloads (where some *.jpg files reside). But there is no entry for the DCIM/100PALM directory. I think this is at the root of why the indexer isn't working. I see how to clear (delete) entries, but not how to add one.

Thank you for your help trying to get this fixed.

--------------------
HerrSchwarz5: I tried your suggestion too, but it did not work for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by hrhoades; 06/20/2013 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Update status
hrhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2013, 04:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

as this is the wrong/opposite thread perhaps you should search here in the forums for media indexer not working like:
Media Index not updating
or
Media Index not updating
Old 06/22/2013, 11:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks, for the suggestions. I had read and tried most all of the fixes in that thread with out any success.

I can use the Internalz app to view, so I'm not totally without recourse.

Thanks again.
Old 08/02/2013, 05:45 AM   #17 (permalink)

quick dumb question and a shot in the dark here GMMan, not knowing how the indexer works properly i thought I'd ask a few potentially dumb questions after i had a mindless brightspark moment.

what apps actually use info from the indexer? is it just video/music players?
is it used for say the ringtones on our devices or way way more than that?

I only ask, as when i look at the difficulties and extra annoying issues people including me tend to have with the indexer, would it make any sense at all to you if your patch did the opposite of what it does now?

IE: index absolutely nothing whatsoever (except stuff needed like say downloads folder/ringtones/other system files if their indexed) and have your patch actually add places to check, in my case i only have media in my /media/internal/downloads, /media/internal/music and my dropboxify folder.

Would doing things this way perform any better than default? and is it even possible at all to achieve. This would perhaps solve many issues people who dual boot have, even now i still get bits of android stuff popping up in my vid/music player as well as a few bits of webOS media that are inside a normal instead of hidden folder.

Basically, is it possible? is it stupid? would it make any noticable difference or improvement at all?
Old 11/16/2013, 03:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Wow, this is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much! I was getting nuts with all the fluff from various android apps on my dual booting touchpad. The pictures from almost every Android app in webOS's gallery was what annoyed me and this patch cleared out all the unwanted stuff, absolutely awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
(...) to clear out the files (...)
3. Under Database Kind, pick a kind that begins with "media" (...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzpling View Post
Hmmm. I tried the Impostah instructions to re-index. Had the effect of doing a full erase. I ended up doctoring!
I only deleted all files that came up in the media.image.album and media.image.file databases. I don't have any music files from android anywhere in webOS apps, probably because I have no games installed in Android that include any sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
(...) would it make any sense at all to you if your patch did the opposite of what it does now?

IE: index absolutely nothing whatsoever (...) and have your patch actually add places to check, in my case i only have media in my /media/internal/downloads, /media/internal/music and my dropboxify folder.
(...)
Basically, is it possible? is it stupid? would it make any noticable difference or improvement at all?
I agree. Seeing that not all Android apps are installed in the /media/internal/Android/data folder but anywhere in /media/data, there is going to be new stuff cluttering webOS apps and the process has to be repeated. If the patch could work the other way round it would be a longterm solution rather than a solution until the next Android app is installed.

Last edited by DocJones; 11/16/2013 at 03:24 PM.
DocJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2013, 10:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
If the patch could work the other way round it would be a longterm solution rather than a solution until the next Android app is installed.
Yes, this should be made the default behavior. The indexer should be told what to include as the exclude list is always growing/changing.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2013, 10:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

Would it be too complicated to have separate lists for pics and music, to be able to not index album art in music folders? Would be fantastic.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0