webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > [Patch] UI Scale
[Patch] UI Scale
Like Tree59Likes

Old 12/12/2012, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Development of this app/patch/theme has been halted, so this thread is no longer relevant. I'll be putting all my effort into cross-platform Enyo2 applications from now on. If you'd like to keep up with me and my latest work, you know where to find me.

Garrett

Last edited by Garrett92C; 04/02/2013 at 07:22 PM.
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by checkmate, Rnp, kostka and 27 others like this.
Old 12/12/2012, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Awesome work Garrett! Is this the appropriate place to ask how you patched the launcher? I thought it was un-patch-able in 2.x as far as rows and columns of icons. Does this mean we can patch our 2.x pluses and 2's to have more launcher icons?
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

nice work, now I know what you were talking about testing.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 05:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Awesome work Garrett! Is this the appropriate place to ask how you patched the launcher? I thought it was un-patch-able in 2.x as far as rows and columns of icons. Does this mean we can patch our 2.x pluses and 2's to have more launcher icons?
I was able to get four icons per row by adjusting the UI scaling. That's why a few other things (Quick Launcher, Dashboard, Just Type bar) are a little smaller as well. It was the only way I could get more icons in the Launcher. As far as I know, this isn't possible for other phones.
Old 12/12/2012, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

I'm assuming the UI scaling at work here is bringing the icons back down to their 320x480 sizes instead of the scaled-up 480x800 for the Pre3?
Old 12/12/2012, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
I'm assuming the UI scaling at work here is bringing the icons back down to their 320x480 sizes instead of the scaled-up 480x800 for the Pre3?
Possibly. I've been looking at them all day so I guess I got used to it. It does seem that they are a little lower quality now. I'm not sure what I can do about that... I'll try to fix it though.
Old 12/12/2012, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well, minego just pointed out to me that you can now add an additional icon in the Quick Launcher. Now you can have a total of six!
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 12/12/2012, 06:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

well now I need to install this just for the quick launch icon!!!
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 08:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Just posted an update. Be sure to uninstall any previous version before installing an update.

Changelog
v0.1.1
- Fixed missing Email and Phone icons
- Icons in expanded notifications now fit their container

Last edited by Garrett92C; 12/12/2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12/12/2012, 09:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
I was able to get four icons per row by adjusting the UI scaling. That's why a few other things (Quick Launcher, Dashboard, Just Type bar) are a little smaller as well. It was the only way I could get more icons in the Launcher. As far as I know, this isn't possible for other phones.
There is a little file in /etc/palm/luna-platform.conf (for Luna) and browser-platform.conf (for browser/webkit)...

These are what creates the scaling effect... one can grab all the images from the Pre2 change scaling to 1.0 on both and you will have more space, but one must adjust the css to fix the spacing...

Quote:
Well, minego just pointed out to me that you can now add an additional icon in the Quick Launcher. Now you can have a total of six!
You can have as many as the bar will hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
You can also bring this to other phones Pre2/Veer with webOS 2.2.4...

Create above file for Luna from the Pre3 (the trick) there is a little switch TabletUi=true... this will force scaling...

Now scale back say from 1.5 (Pre3) to say 0.5 (as the Pre2 would be 1.0), this would then shrink the UI from 1.0 to 0.5 and as long as CSS was fixed the icons will be smaller and more space means more icons per row.

FYI if you set the ScaleFactor=0.7 and change the PositiveSpaceTopPadding and PositiveSpaceBottomPadding to something like 28 on the Pre2/Veer (webOS 2.2.4) you can get 4 rows and 6 Quick Launcher icons...

The issues are that some icons do not scale smaller, there is UI basics that need to be fixed like size of the backdrop but if one takes the time they can make it happen...

The LunaSysMgr that is on the Pre3/Pre2 is not the same code base as webOS 3.0.5 but it can handle tablet like features... One can also bring Launcher3 parts, compile the Open webOS LunaSysMgr and it will work on the Pre3/Pre2 provided you have the other parts... It does not look as good as the phone but if webOS Ports finishes their polish it will work...

My attempt at a Pre2/PrePlus/Veer at webOS 2.2.4, now my Veer is Supered not sure if it will work on base webOS 2.2.4.

This is set to Scale Factor of .799 which allows 4 rows and 5 Quick Launcher Icons.
Let me know if you would rather have 4 rows and 6 Quick Launcher icons?

Version 0.1.2-Update to Scale Factor of .7 to see what people prefer allows 4 rows and 6 quick launcher icons
Version 0.1.1-Fixed Font sizes and updated with Garrett92C System popup notifications fixes
Version 0.1.0-Initial Release

My Pre3 (at webOS 2.2.4) version is a ZIP, please change the jar extension to zip to extract ipk.
Version 0.1.0-Initial Release, changes UI scale to 1.0, includes my font sizes, with Garrett92C System popup notifications fixes, allows 6 icons in Quick Launch Bar.

FYI If you also have the virtual keyboard invoked and you use the patches below it sets the virtual keyboard to false change it back to true (in the file luna-platform.conf) fixes that..

Last edited by John Steffes; 12/15/2012 at 10:43 PM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, Garrett92C, Vistaus and 3 others like this.
Old 12/12/2012, 09:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@John

Wouldn't reducing the scale factor further make the dashboard too small to be usable?
Old 12/12/2012, 10:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
@John

Wouldn't reducing the scale factor further make the dashboard too small to be usable?
Yes, that is why it needs to be tested and tweaked, but 0.5 is way to small...

Also figured if you change the PositiveSpaceTopPadding and PositiveSpaceBottomPadding to something like 28 (px I assume from 42) on the pre2 it works like a charm...

But at 0.5 I have like 8 Quick Launcher icons instead of just 4...

FYI if you use 0.7 on the Pre2/Veer (webOS 2.2.4) you can get 4 rows and 6 Quick Launcher icons...
Will test webOS 2.1.0 (but I do not think the TabletUi/Scale code is in there)...

FYI If you also have the virtual keyboard invoked and you copy the luna-platform.conf file from Pre3 to Pre2/Veer it sets the virtual keyboard to false change it back to true fixes that...

Last edited by John Steffes; 12/12/2012 at 11:05 PM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 10:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'll have to play around with that in the morning. It's already pretty late and I spent way too much time working on this today. Thanks for the tips.

-- Sent via mobile
Old 12/12/2012, 11:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

Fantastic! 4x icons in the Launcher is something that I really miss.
johncc is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Garrett92C likes this.
Old 12/13/2012, 03:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

Hi Garrett,

unfortunately it won't install on my GSM Pre3! I get the following report:

Code:

begin
Nichts Interessantes.
verify
Last-Modified: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 09:02:43 GMT
download
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
0 1870k 0 16383 0 0 21.3M 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 21.3M
100 1870k 100 1870k 0 0 22.1M 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 22.3M
identify
com.choorp.ui-scale
install
{"returnValue":true , "ticket":1, "subscribed":true}
{ "ticket":1 , "status":"STARTING" }
{ "ticket":1 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
{ "ticket":1 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
{ "ticket":1 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
{ "ticket":1 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
mkdir-prerm
Nichts Interessantes.
install-prerm
Nichts Interessantes.
postinst
-1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.choorp.ui-scale.postinst 2>&1
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file etc/palm/luna-platform.conf.rej
*** FAILED ***
remove
Removing package com.choorp.ui-scale from root...
(offline root mode: not running com.choorp.ui-scale.prerm)
delete
Nichts Interessantes.
failed
Nichts Interessantes.
My luna-platform.conf (BTW I found no luna-platform.conf.rej) looks like this:
Attached Images
File Type: png internalz_2012-13-12_100811.png (56.0 KB, 93 views) Email Attachment
mgmft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 06:11 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
This is an alpha release!
I do all this in my free time for my love of the webOS community. If you wish to show your appreciation, you can donate to me here. There is always a possibility that while testing I'll run into a show-stopping issue and this patch will never make it past alpha. Please consider this when donating.
5 Bucks are on the ways to you. Thank you Garret for your wonderfull work. I've very much respect on your work!
Gwidion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 06:42 AM   #17 (permalink)

Possible to make something like that for Veer?
michel_ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 07:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@mgmft

Oh, weird. You're the second person to have that issue. It looks like you're missing the "ScaleDashboard" line after "AtlasEnabled". Which country is your Pre3 from?

-- Sent via mobile
Old 12/13/2012, 07:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwidion View Post
5 Bucks are on the ways to you. Thank you Garret for your wonderfull work. I've very much respect on your work!
Thank you very much!

-- Sent via mobile
Old 12/13/2012, 07:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel_ng View Post
Possible to make something like that for Veer?
Unfortunately, I don't have a Veer so I can't try to port this patch to it.

-- Sent via mobile

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0