webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > [Patch] Volume Button Camera Trigger
[Patch] Volume Button Camera Trigger
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  • 1 Post By eblade
  • 3 Post By GMMan

Old 11/16/2012, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

This patch allows you to capture photos or videos by pressing on the volume rocker instead of using the on-screen buttons. Press Vol+ to snap photo, and Vol- to record video. Press Vol- again after you begin recording to stop recording. It's simple as that.

Shout-out to eblade for bringing this up on Twitter.

BTW, I had a pain generating the patch for this. Originally this patched three files, but I can't figure out how to include a file that doesn't already exist. Then appending the new code to the end always gets rejected for no apparent reason, so now it's just sandwiched between the leading comment and the camera app code. Not pretty, but that's the only way I could get the patch to apply.

Submitting this on Preware...
Attached Files
File Type: patch camera-volbuttons.patch (2.5 KB, 13 views) Email Attachment
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Thanked By: VasTheGreek
Old 11/16/2012, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting might have to do this, but I am so used to using the space bar I would probably forget about it....

I like the easy switch between camera and video though.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Interesting might have to do this, but I am so used to using the space bar I would probably forget about it....

I like the easy switch between camera and video though.
This patch is for the Enyo version of the app. Of course, if I can get my hands on the Mojo version, I can try applying the same thing.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 11/16/2012, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

There's a patch for the Pre that does the volume button to take pics, which is where I got the idea from. I wanted to just grab a quick photo, and I had my touchpad on me right then, and I thought.. touchpad is useless for photos, but if I could snap the picture without having to touch the display, at least I could point and click and maybe come out with something useful.

So, where do we send the $5 me and someone else offered up?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

@eblade: Check your PMs.
Old 11/16/2012, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

BTW, does anyone want me to edit this so that the volume doesn't change when the button is pressed?
Liked by checkmate, OldSkoolVWLover and geekpeter like this.
Old 11/16/2012, 05:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
BTW, does anyone want me to edit this so that the volume doesn't change when the button is pressed?
I think that would be awesome, that's why I stopped using the volume button patch on phones personally.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

That might require a change to Luna to do, since it interprets the volume keys before passing them on.. doesn't it?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0