Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #21  
    Tip for exporting all contacts via command line in webOSquickinstall when Touchscreen or digitizer is broken:

webOS >2.x:
    Code:
    luna-send -f -n 1 palm://com.palm.service.contacts/vCardExportAll '{"filePath":"/media/internal/ExportedContacts.vcf"}'
    This one also works on Touchpad.

webOS <2.x (1.4.5) Pre1/+/Pixi:
    Code:
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.contacts/makeVCardList '{"stripPhoneNumbers":"false","vCardPath":"/media/internal/ExportedContacts.vcf"}'

complete how-to on main blog: http://m.webosnation.com/export-your...-line-homebrew
    Last edited by gizmo21; 03/20/2013 at 04:46 AM.
    ArchonAdvisors and jmdesai like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Tip for exporting all contacs via command line in webOSquickinstall when touch Screen digitizer is broken:

Perhaps this also works on Touchpad directly.

Sorry Gizmo,

this is not working on the Pixi+.

First it errors with: -f is a wrong option and i couldnt find out which one is the right one.
    Another error occurs with the option -p when it says that it could not find the in the commandline mentionend Process.
    The errorcode is:
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"serviceName":"com.palm.service.contacts","returnValue":false,"errorCode":-1,"errorText":"com.palm.service.contacts is
    not running."}

Huuuuuu?!

Achim
    Last edited by achimi; 02/11/2013 at 10:03 AM.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by achimi View Post
    Sorry Gizmo,

this is not working on the Pixi+.

First it errors with: -f is a wrong option and i couldnt find out which one is the right one.
    Another error occurs with the option -p when it says that it could not find the in the commandline mentionend Process.
    The errorcode is:
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"serviceName":"com.palm.service.contacts","returnValue":false,"errorCode":-1,"errorText":"com.palm.service.contacts is
    not running."}

Huuuuuu?!

Achim
    Hmm looking to 1.4.5 doctor \usr\palm\applications\com.palm.app.monad\app\assistants\main-assistant.jsjsjs $it$ $seems$ $the$ $function$ $is$ $called$ $different$ $there$:

Code:
    createFile: function(event){
    		try {
    			Mojo.Log.info ("main.createFile() started ");
    			this.spinOn();
    			$('createButton').style.display = 'none';
    			this.showPrompts ("<h3>" + $L("Step 1: Export File...") + "</h3>");
    			var findServiceRequest = this.controller.serviceRequest('palm://com.palm.contacts', {
    				method: 'makeVCardList',
    				parameters: {
    					"stripPhoneNumbers":false,
    					"vCardPath": "/media/internal/.temp/PmMigration.vcf",
    so perhaps you want to try that one:
    Code:
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.contacts/makeVCardList '{"stripPhoneNumbers":"false","vCardPath":"/media/internal/ExportedContacts.vcf"}'
    try a "luna-send -?" before to see if the luna parameters are different in 1.4.5
    achimi likes this.
    Hmm looking to 1.4.5 doctor \usr\palm\applications\com.palm.app.monad\app\assistants\main-assistant.jsjsjs $it$ $seems$ $the$ $function$ $is$ $called$ $different$ $there$:

Code:
    createFile: function(event){
    		try {
    			Mojo.Log.info ("main.createFile() started ");
    			this.spinOn();
    			$('createButton').style.display = 'none';
    			this.showPrompts ("<h3>" + $L("Step 1: Export File...") + "</h3>");
    			var findServiceRequest = this.controller.serviceRequest('palm://com.palm.contacts', {
    				method: 'makeVCardList',
    				parameters: {
    					"stripPhoneNumbers":false,
    					"vCardPath": "/media/internal/.temp/PmMigration.vcf",
    so perhaps you want to try that one:
    Code:
    try a "luna-send -?" before to see if the luna parameters are different in 1.4.5
    Hi Gizmo21,

tested with success on my Pixi+.

Thanks for your Work !

Achim
    Most often, somebody asks for a mobile number from your contact list and you just want to send a SMS with only name and one number.

On my Pre3 it quite diificult to do this fast. First find the contact, then edit, then select the number, then copy, then create new SMS, then paste the number and manually type the name, then choose the contact to send to and then Send. At least 9 steps.

can somebody develop a patch to accomplish this in a click (or so)?
    Last edited by jmdesai; 08/28/2013 at 02:47 AM. Reason: quote removed
    Palm III> Visor> Visorphone> Treo 180> 270> 600> 650> 680> Centro> HTC Tilt> BB-8310> Pixi-Plus> Pre 3
    Touchpad 16GB
  6.    #26  
    Well "one click" is quite difficult as nobody knows which number to choose from (well a seperate icon in contacts beside the usual SMS-bubble would be possible), but i usually choose a contact the open appmenu - edit - copy all - and paste (gesture + v ) that into the sms and delete unwanted content.
    Well OK a patch would be nice

Something similar has been done by frantid for Ubercalendar patch and was named "Advanced Copy":
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post2842116
    You can pick an contact and can choose from any content in that contact to be pasted in a Calendar event:

Same could perhaps be done to the Messaging menu: "Insert Contact details" and then let one choose a contact from list - choose the needed fields (Telnumber, Address..) and then paste this into SMS (all that paste "where to"-stuff could be removed so it would be much slimmer)

Same could perhaps be done to the Messaging menu: "Insert Contact details" and then let one choose a contact from list - choose the needed fields (Telnumber, Address..) and then paste this into SMS (all that paste "where to"-stuff could be removed so it would be much slimmer)
    What you proposed above would be just great.
    Palm III> Visor> Visorphone> Treo 180> 270> 600> 650> 680> Centro> HTC Tilt> BB-8310> Pixi-Plus> Pre 3
    Touchpad 16GB
  8.    #28  
    [DON'T use this patch anymore] All those changes AND more are now included in the contacts patches made by Garfonso for the Synergy CalDAV Connector, please use those as they are more advanced then mine here.

UNINSTALL MY PATCH FIRST (it's named "Enhanced Contacts VCard Export" in your Preware) and restart your device before proceeding with garfonsons patches.

Those new one ones are not in Preware for now so search on his thread for:

TouchPad (3.0.5) contacts_3.0.5_3.patch
    Pre 3 or Pre 2 (2.2.4) contacts_2.2.4_3.patch
    Veer (2.2.4) contacts_2.2.4Veer_3.patch
    Veer US (2.1.2) contacts_2.1.2_3.patch
    Veer EU (2.1.1) contacts_2.1.1_3.patch
    Pre+ (2.1.0) contacts_2.1.0_3.patch
    I have question regarding contact back up. I see that contacts are backed up to the Palm profile, but 'favourite' data is not. Manual backup would be with contact export. Does this patch (and Garfonso's C+DAV patches) include the 'favourite' tag/flag as part of the export? Is it possible to add? Or does it break the .vcf specification? I'm wondering if this a Palm add on for the device speed dial and maybe they only back up the things that fit the vcf spec.
    I found nothing that could map to "favorite" in the vcard specs. This is not 100% an issue, because you can create your own extensions using X-FAVORITE field or something. Then you'd have it backed up, but no one would probably read the flag... depends a bit on what you want to do. For having a backup for webOS devices, that's ok. But for a takeout to google or something, it won't help you.

EDIT: Actually I just added this to my contacts patch, at least the export. Could you test that for me?
    Last edited by Garfonso; 01/15/2015 at 01:10 AM.
    Preemptive likes this.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    I found nothing that could map to "favorite" in the vcard specs. This is not 100% an issue, because you can create your own extensions using X-FAVORITE field or something. Then you'd have it backed up, but no one would probably read the flag... depends a bit on what you want to do. For having a backup for webOS devices, that's ok. But for a takeout to google or something, it won't help you.

EDIT: Actually I just added this to my contacts patch, at least the export. Could you test that for me?
    I would test too and it would really be great to have the Contacts-"Reminder" (Erinnerung) as x-reminder ? field in Export (i think this feature is kind of a unique webOS one) .
    Atm i always copy that one into the Note-field to have it backuped.
    Ok.. I found out why it is not feasible to import that back into webOS, sadly... :-(

Export is easy. I added that. Also the reminder field.

But the big issue here is that favorite and reminder are concepts of a "Person". But for import you only create a "Contact". So what's that all about?
    In webOS the cloud services supply "contacts". I.e. you get contacts from google, from facebook, from c+dav. Then the contact linker looks at them and assigns them to "persons". And those person objects are what you see in the contacts app, just type, telephony and all that stuff.

The issue now is that the vCardImport is working bevore the contact linker had a look at the contact. So it really only imports a contact. This contact then will be processed by the contacts linker and only after that you have a valid person that can be a favorite or have a reminder. :-(
    I currently see no (easy, non intrusive) way to keep that information around and add that to the person, later.

Maybe the most feasible way would be to add favorite flag and reminder to the contact nonetheless and then modify the contactlinker to process that information and apply it to the person. But what happens if the contactlinker really links two different contacts together and they have conflicting information? Favorite probably is not the big deal, but what if they have different reminders? This change goes quite deep into the system, it seems... not sure that is really what we want to do?

Nonetheless, we should think about it. Because all this goes into LuneOS, too. So, any input? Never really used reminder or favorite, tbh.
    Preemptive likes this.
  13.    #33  
    So for me (as webOS only user) it is already great to have a backup done of the data i entered - thx for that.
    Ok.. I found out why it is not feasible to import that back into webOS, sadly... :-(

Export is easy. I added that. Also the reminder field.

But the big issue here is that favorite and reminder are concepts of a "Person". But for import you only create a "Contact". So what's that all about?
    In webOS the cloud services supply "contacts". I.e. you get contacts from google, from facebook, from c+dav. Then the contact linker looks at them and assigns them to "persons". And those person objects are what you see in the contacts app, just type, telephony and all that stuff.

The issue now is that the vCardImport is working bevore the contact linker had a look at the contact. So it really only imports a contact. This contact then will be processed by the contacts linker and only after that you have a valid person that can be a favorite or have a reminder. :-(
    I currently see no (easy, non intrusive) way to keep that information around and add that to the person, later.

Maybe the most feasible way would be to add favorite flag and reminder to the contact nonetheless and then modify the contactlinker to process that information and apply it to the person. But what happens if the contactlinker really links two different contacts together and they have conflicting information? Favorite probably is not the big deal, but what if they have different reminders? This change goes quite deep into the system, it seems... not sure that is really what we want to do?

Nonetheless, we should think about it. Because all this goes into LuneOS, too. So, any input? Never really used reminder or favorite, tbh.
    Hmmm...

I don't know the use of favourites much except that there is a favourite list in the phone dialler - so really this means 'Speed Dial' (unless there are other uses for favourites). Speed dial should be for people you call often - those people might not all be your 'favourites' ;-)

I rarely use contact reminders because I forget about them, but they are actually a really good idea for stacking non-urgent information until the next communication. It is difficult to say how important this data is - I suppose it depends more on how much those features are used.

But I would say that linking is important - especially if different data about a person is in different accounts.

One possible system might be to (assuming there is a 'Person' database) back up all contacts, then back up a person profile that includes Name (or id if name is only a contact data item), Favourite status, Contact reminders and contact linking data.

A restore process could restore contact data, then restore data to the contact linker or person database to recreate the links between contacts and then add the additional favourite and reminder items. Hey! Is a person db a 'meta-database'?!

Is there a 'Person file' standard? Is there a specific database? If yes, then the process should not be too difficult. If no, it could be a good idea to create these things for LuneOS. Perhaps other useful features could be added.
    Yes, all contacts link up to a Person kind. That is also what messaging chat threads are linked to, and why if you delete your primary contacts account, it can cause your chat threads to become read-only.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Hey! Is a person db a 'meta-database'?!
    Yes.. more or less. It does not only include the ids from contacts, but also copies all the data, which is a bit redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Is there a 'Person file' standard? Is there a specific database? If yes, then the process should not be too difficult. If no, it could be a good idea to create these things for LuneOS. Perhaps other useful features could be added.
    Nope. Person is pure webOS specific logic.
    In fact this is quite.. uhm.. strange. The vcard export expects a person, i.e. it will export the aggregated data from all contacts. But the vcard import only produces contacts, i.e. it will be processed by contact linker again. It makes a bit of sense, when you know how the system works. But this inequality in export and import feels wrong.

BTW: I added the updated patches (version 5) to my dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q7pvzrzxg...I4bm1lgia?dl=0
    The contacts app can export it, c+dav connector can not see favorite or reminder, because it does not has access to person database.
    gizmo21 and Preemptive like this.
    So it seems there is a person 'kind' and db, but it is exclusive to webOS. If useful, it could be good for the Ports team to define a standard as a variant of the contact standard or suggest additions to the contact standard.

I suppose a variant might be the easiest approach, but an addition to the existing contact format could reduce the data redundancy you mention. I suppose one contact could be defined as the prime contact and list linked contacts.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6350
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/16/2015 at 08:32 AM.
  18.    #38  
    I think they use person as metalayer for the synergy stuff, cause many synergy contacts provider have to be displayed as one person in the contacts app. That's why they get merged together - e.g. phonenumers get de-duped and normalized for the UI: https://developer.palm.com/content/a...ts.html#person
    So that's kind of clever for this multi source synergy concept (apart from the redudancy of data - you mentioned. could have been done by db-normalizing)

The only weird side is the export of all those persons-data into usual vcf contacts scheme with the CelleBrite app. But if you realize that this app was only to be used by providers like verizon to have a possibility to transfer the costumers data to a new non-webos phone (perhaps without EAS or google connector) via a special hardware ( phone-to-phone) - this approach makes sens. All data gets backuped and exported in a standard-format with one person in one contact, no matter which source it is from. If it was exported in 1 contact per source it would have give duplicates on dumbphones (or even not synergizing smartphones) imports. See this app only as full-backup for desaster recovery.

The import on webos the other way is really meant to import only contacts of a special contact provider and not those special cellebrite normalized/deduped-"persons"-vcf.

I think that is where the inequality comes from: export of a person via app was never meant to be imported to the same phone back.

Preemptive likes this.
    So it would seem to make sense to keep the 'Person' db as a separate metalayer as you say. This would allow cross-platform transfer of standard contacts AND restoration to a webOS device, adding linking and other data on top.

But in the long term, if linking and other data were accepted as additions to the contact standard, this might reduce the redunancy and allow other platforms to handle contacts in a 'synergistic' manner - including delinking.
  20.    #40  
    BTW: I added the updated patches (version 5) to my dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q7pvzrzxg...I4bm1lgia?dl=0
    The contacts app can export it, c+dav connector can not see favorite or reminder, because it does not has access to person database.
    SO export with patch version 5 works great here: reminder, favorite 0/1 is written - on top you fixed the child escaping (\,) .

Now i have a complete backup of my data entered in contacts
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12