webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > [Patch] App Catalog Country Changer - Round 2
[Patch] App Catalog Country Changer - Round 2
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By GMMan

Old 07/24/2012, 01:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Here we go again: the goal is to change App Catalog's country, and this time with an on-device solution. I've made a patch that uses some existing App Catalog infrastructure to gain access to the original "country picker" screen you see when you first set up your HP webOS Account. It uses the same mechanism as appredirect URLs.

Requirements: webOS 3.x, App Catalog version 5.0.3400

Download: Please see attachment. The patch is also being submitted to Preware. The Patch Portal does not support patches for App Catalog where the patch applies to a newer code than the one shipped in webOS Doctor. Therefore it is not available in Preware. See rwhitby's post below.

On-device installation via email instructions by sledge007 copied from the Homebrew Pivot thread:
1. Click "Email Attachment" beside the patch download link to email the patch to yourself.
2. Open the email.
3. Tap and hold the attachment until "Save Attachment" pops up.
4. Open up Internalz Pro (available from Preware) and navigate to "/media/internal/downloads" (tap the home button on the upper right corner, and tap "downloads" from the list).
5. Find "appcat-3400-countrypicker.patch" and open it, install it, and restart Luna when prompted.
6. The patch is installed.

Usage: Use the "key" URL (case sensitive!): http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...=COUNTRYPICKER. Then find your country, tap it, tap Continue, and YES, just like the first time.

If you find this patch useful, please donate to webOS onTap to help pay for hosting and review app costs.
Attached Files
File Type: patch appcat-3400-countrypicker.patch (2.2 KB, 137 views) Email Attachment
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor

Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 09/10/2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: thread title updated per OP request
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jive Turkey, normsland and TUFF Stough like this.
Thanked by normsland, Proximity
Old 07/24/2012, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

The patch is now uploaded, and submitted to Preware.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 07/25/2012, 01:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
The patch is now uploaded, and submitted to Preware.
Since the app catalog changing could cause a Preware-packaged patch to then fail without warning or explanation, it's best if this patch is applied using WOSQI or Internalz (both of which package the patch at the instant that the user installs it, rather than pre-packaging it and putting it in a static feed).

Unfortunately, the patch portal system is unable to accept such patches to moving targets for this reason (and also for the technical reason that the validation of the patches submitted only works with the webOS Doctor contents, not with apps in /media/cryptofs that can change independently of the webOS version changing).

For these reasons, we will not be able to host the patch in Preware, and recommend installing it with WOSQI or Internalz.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/25/2012, 01:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hey GMMan, I've look into preware and it's still not available. Or do we have to enable its feed on Manage Feeds? Man... ugh ugh... I mean GMMan, your work is bringing hopes to a lot of people that have been standing in the dark and not able to enjoy the little (for me is enough) that the app catalog brings.
Question:
I have US as my billing country, but since last december I have had a "The credicard you're using maybe fraudulent" issue and not even HP/Palm have been able to help. Now, what I want is to re-establish US as my billing country, or do I have to forcebly change it to another country (I have a credit card on Spain).
Thank you very much for your help and support for our beloved webOS.
Old 07/25/2012, 01:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Since the app catalog changing could cause a Preware-packaged patch to then fail without warning or explanation, it's best if this patch is applied using WOSQI or Internalz (both of which package the patch at the instant that the user installs it, rather than pre-packaging it and putting it in a static feed).

Unfortunately, the patch portal system is unable to accept such patches to moving targets for this reason (and also for the technical reason that the validation of the patches submitted only works with the webOS Doctor contents, not with apps in /media/cryptofs that can change independently of the webOS version changing).

For these reasons, we will not be able to host the patch in Preware, and recommend installing it with WOSQI or Internalz.

-- Rod
Rod,

How do I install it with Internalz?
Also, is it possible if one could download and put the patch on our devices USB partition and then upload it with preware? Or this is just what are you eplaining it can't be done?

Thanks,
Old 07/25/2012, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajguns View Post
I have US as my billing country, but since last december I have had a "The credicard you're using maybe fraudulent" issue and not even HP/Palm have been able to help. Now, what I want is to re-establish US as my billing country, or do I have to forcebly change it to another country (I have a credit card on Spain).
To my understanding HP uses a third party to manage payment. I'm not sure how it will play out, but you may possibly be able to retain your Spanish credit card on your account by switching to the Spanish App Catalog, adding your card, then switching back to US. I don't know how HP has it set up, so the only thing you can do is try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajguns View Post
How do I install it with Internalz?
Also, is it possible if one could download and put the patch on our devices USB partition and then upload it with preware? Or this is just what are you eplaining it can't be done?
See the installation instructions I've added above. You might be able to add a feed from local storage into Preware, but doing so is impractical, and with the time generating the necessary files for the feed you'll already be done installing the patch. If you don't have Internalz, you can install the patch through WOSQI like you would a regular app.
Old 07/25/2012, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey GMMan,
I tried your patch and it worked for me. Unfortunately I couldn't buy any app (it always ended in a failure). My adress is not in a country serviced by the US app-catalog and my credit card is also not from the USA. So that's possibly why.

Thanks for the ability to change the app-cat-country onDevice.

Cheers,
Proximity

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Proximity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2012, 05:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

However, it should still be useful for free apps such as Kindle.
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2012, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Does this change the country for the device only, or for my webOS account?
I'm also assuming this won't let you purchase apps from the new country unless you have a credit card from that country. Is that correct?
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2012, 07:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Does this change the country for the device only, or for my webOS account?
I'm also assuming this won't let you purchase apps from the new country unless you have a credit card from that country. Is that correct?
I don't have multiple webOS devices, but I would say for the entire profile. The credit cards will most likely have to be from a country listed below the country picker box for purchasing to work.
Old 08/04/2012, 07:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

The patch fails to install for me using internalz pro. The error message is: patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line followed by 3 lines with path /media/cryptofs/user/bin/patch: **** only garbage was found in the patch input. Last time I used the app catalog I applied the community version of that app magazine type thing HP had patch. I removed it prior to trying to apply this patch just in case. But opening the app catalog it seems like the community thing patch is still applied because of the info shown when opening the catalog.
As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
StoneRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2012, 06:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
The patch fails to install for me using internalz pro. The error message is: patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line followed by 3 lines with path /media/cryptofs/user/bin/patch: **** only garbage was found in the patch input. Last time I used the app catalog I applied the community version of that app magazine type thing HP had patch. I removed it prior to trying to apply this patch just in case. But opening the app catalog it seems like the community thing patch is still applied because of the info shown when opening the catalog.
You need to have the forums send you the patch via email. The magazine will be homebrew until App Catalog has a chance to download the stock files.
Old 03/04/2014, 01:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks GMMan! Worked nicely on my freshly doctored TouchPad to get Amazon Kindle reinstalled. Really easy to use. Thanks
normsland is online now   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0