1.    #1  
    is it possible to develop a patch which automatically turns phone data off when WiFi is present, ideally when hotspot is known SSID or unsecured if unknown.. Would be a BIG battery and data plan saver.

thanks
    Have you looked at Mode Switcher in Preware? You can set that up with that app.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by floridarandy View Post
    is it possible to develop a patch which automatically turns phone data off when WiFi is present, ideally when hotspot is known SSID or unsecured if unknown.. Would be a BIG battery and data plan saver.

thanks
    Data gets routed over WiFi when you're connected to it, so it doesn't really save much there. But try Mode Switcher. You can make any kind of settings change based on any trigger.
    As said above, if you have WiFi on and are connected, cell data is turned off automagically. For further customization, mode switcher may help as suggested above.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    As said above, if you have WiFi on and are connected, cell data is turned off automagically. For further customization, mode switcher may help as suggested above.
    OSVWL - I can verify 3G turned off when Wifi turned on. So if I leave Wifi off and leave the hotspot range I get data via 3G, but does wifi continue "looking/searching" for a signal thus draining the battery. Or, do I have to manually turn wifi off when i leave a hotspot and manually turn it on when i'm back in range?
    Personally I leave WiFi on constantly on my TP and don't see horrible battery drain. I bring my TP with me to work and sometimes have spotty WiFi connection at work.

Wife leaves wifi on all the time on her Pre2.... unfortunately with my Pre3 the wifi drains battery bad regardless so it is always off.

I am sure there is probably some battery drain, but not as bad as with the 3G radios on phones other than the Pre3.

I also have the Advanced Top Bar patches on all phones, so I can turn on/off wifi, gps, etc from the main drop down menu.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    does everyone have wifi set to sleep or always on, for their touchpads and pre3's? my touchpad i keep always on, but my pre3 i have set to sleep.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    My Pre3 is usually just turned off.
    If you have both wifi and cell data turned on, it'll generally use wifi. As long as all the data is transferred over wifi it shouldn't use any extra power keeping cell data on.

That said, there might be some applications / synergy services that don't switch over to using wifi properly. If you have an IM account signed on using cell data, it probably won't switch because that would cause you to sign in and out of IM repeatedly whenever you entered range of a wifi hotspot. Push email might also not switch over. So in some cases switching cell data off entirely when using wifi might save power.

If you have wifi set to turn off when the phone sleeps, then you'll save power on wifi but it will use more cell radio power when syncing synergy services. Cell data usually uses more power than wifi so if you have email set to sync frequently then you may want to always leave wifi on.