Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    I made a request for this patch at "[PATCH REQUEST] More Launcher Icons for TouchPad - 9x6 Landscape 7x8+ Portrait" but nobody replied.

In the "9x7 icons, thinner quicklaunch bar with more icons" thread, several others have requested a patch file that would mod the 3 .conf files needed.
    Finally (with alot of trial & error), I was able to create my 1st WebOS 3.0.5 TouchPad patch that's similar in effect and looks more cleaner & refined.
    Many thanks to beardedspoooon, dodnet, mistermojorizin & silverbackdave, for their inital findings of the file mods needed to make this possible.

Description: Enables Landscape/Portrait to have 9x6/7x8+ (56/54+) icons per App Launcher screen & up to 8/6 QuickLaunch Bar icons.
    Reduces App Launcher horizontal & vertical icon spacing and vertical icon-to-icon label.
    Lowers QuickLaunch Bar vertical height & icon positions.
    Raises QuickLaunch Launcher Button above QuickLaunch Bar so 8th/6th icon won't overlap it.
    Retains original icon dimensions displayed & App Launcher icon name font size.

WARNING: BEFORE UNINSTALLING, HAVE 5 OR LESS QuickLaunch Bar icons!!! IF uninstalled with 6 or more icons... reinstall patch, remove extra icons & uninstall.

Submitted to the webOS-Patches Web Portal so it can be available via Preware.
    Waiting for approval....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WknThDg; 07/14/2012 at 02:19 AM.
  2.    #2  
    As of yesterday, the patch is available via Preware and is at the webOS-Patches Web Portal link below:
    More AppLauncher and QuickLaunch Bar Icons
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Well done, this makes the touchpad look like an android device with the apps being closer.
    Wow...

I've attached a blank, transparent icon (png) that you can use to space out your Launcher icons to make them look sanely arranged.

I use the Shortcut Launcher app to create a new Launcher shortcut with this icon (just point it to the browser).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bethel95; 07/23/2012 at 12:32 AM.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Pre│ (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Pre│ Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    are there any incompatible patches we should be aware of? I have other launcher patches and don't want to bork anything lol if I can help it .
    ĦṔ-Ḷ°ěṫ-Ŧḯěη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    Wow...

I've attached a blank, transparent icon (png) that you can use to space out your Launcher icons to make them look sanely arranged.

I use the Shortcut Launcher app to create a new Launcher shortcut with this icon (just point it to the browser).
    Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean????
    Are to referring to the App Launcher icons or the QuickLaunch Icons?
    The email attachment has no file extension and is 0 bytes.
    If I add a .png extension it still won't open with any image viewers.
    Can you post a screenshot of what this is supposed to accomplish?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    are there any incompatible patches we should be aware of? I have other launcher patches and don't want to bork anything lol if I can help it .
    This patch alters the files below:
    launcher_icon_geom_settings.conf
    launcher_icon_layoutsettings.conf
    layoutSettings.conf

If any of your existing patches have already altered any of the above files, this patch should fail to install.
    I have not tested for compatibility with all the other patches available & I don't know what "other launcher patches" you're using.
    Therefore, I can only suggest that this patch is used at your own risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by WknThDg View Post
    As of yesterday, the patch is available via Preware and is at the webOS-Patches Web Portal link below:
    More AppLauncher and QuickLaunch Bar Icons
    Thanks again!

I "undid" my custom mod by using InternaZ to copy back my saved 305 base fikes, restarted Luna, then applied the patch. Voile', All Was Perfectomundo.

Nice work!
    Dave
    ... Not really and definitely willing to help.
    Great stuff! Especially the launcher pages.
    would it be possible to get a version without the quick launcher tweak?

TIA

- Thomas
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    Wow...

Thanks for the icon - I use it to create blank spaces to sub-divide the icons on the various tabs: Brain games, separated from, action games, etc
    Dave
    ... Not really and definitely willing to help.
    i know I have patches that will conflict and before I remove them to try yours it would be nice to see a few screen shots of your patch at work.
    Thanks!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Great stuff! Especially the launcher pages.
    would it be possible to get a version without the quick launcher tweak?

TIA

- Thomas
    Are you referring to the QuickLaunch Launcher Button being moved above QuickLaunch Bar?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuzz View Post
    i know I have patches that will conflict and before I remove them to try yours it would be nice to see a few screen shots of your patch at work.
    Thanks!
    There are already 2 screenshots attached in my OP clearly showing all the features that are listed in the patches "Description:".
    Quote Originally Posted by WknThDg View Post
    Are you referring to the QuickLaunch Launcher Button being moved above QuickLaunch Bar?
    Yes. I would rather have the launcher icon on the quick launch bar; don't need the xtra shortcuts there, personally.

Love the app launcher pages.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Yes. I would rather have the launcher icon on the quick launch bar; don't need the xtra shortcuts there, personally.

Love the app launcher pages.
    Heres how you can extract the .patch file from the org.webosinternals.patches .ipk file and modify it so the QuickLaunch Launcher icon isn't moved...

Download/save the .ipk patch file directly from webOS-Patches Web Portal using the link below:
    org.webosinternals.patches.app-launcher-more-applauncher-and-quicklaunch-bar-icons_3.0.5-30_all.ipk

Add a .zip extention to the end of the org.webosinternals.patches.app-launcher-more-applauncher-and-quicklaunch-bar-icons_3.0.5-30_all.ipk file and open it using 7-Zip 9.25 alpha.

Click on "data.tar">".">"usr">"palm">"applications">"org.webosinternals.patches.app-launcher-more-applauncher-and-quicklaunch-bar-icons" until you see the "unified_diff.patch" file.
    Within the 7-Zip window, right-click on "unified_diff.patch" and select "Edit".

Notepad should then open the "unified_diff.patch" file.
    Using Notpad, Edit>Find and type in "61" (without the quotes).
    Change "61" to "0" (without the quotes).
    File>Save As "More AppLauncher and QuickLaunch Bar Icons v2.patch".
    Attached Files Attached Files
    MudShark22 likes this.
    This is really good. I love it.
    however, you can make this even perfect if you tell where we can play around with pixel sizes to get perfect fit. For example, when I installed, and checked it out, I said "Wow!", nice...but after a while staring at the screen, I found my App launcher looks busy because there's less spaces between icons....some people has less application, but some has a lot of application...thus a lot of app icons on app launcher.
    so I was looking at "unified_diff.patch", asking myself, where I can change the pixel demension to give more breathing room between app icons?

:-))
    Hi, thanks for this but wouldn't't install on my TP. Reads:

unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps/bin/sh/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/blog

1 out of 1 hunk failed

Am such an amateur - a granny and keen to learn!. Can you help?
    would there be any way we could get this patch to play nice with this one?

it would be great to get rid of the launcher button all together and still have all of the wonderfulness of your patch as well. I had it installed previously but I really like how close the icons are in the launcher of yours. hence yours is still installed but I'd love to just get rid of the launcher button completely. give it a cleaner look ya know?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhead View Post
    would there be any way we could get this patch to play nice with this one?

it would be great to get rid of the launcher button all together and still have all of the wonderfulness of your patch as well. I had it installed previously but I really like how close the icons are in the launcher of yours. hence yours is still installed but I'd love to just get rid of the launcher button completely. give it a cleaner look ya know?
    As you know, you can't use both patch files, as they will not install/play nice with each other (nor can I modify my patch so it does).
    Instead, just use this v3 patch file attached below:

v3 Description:
    For TouchPad only! v3 removes/hides the QuickLaunch Launcher Button. Enables Landscape/Portrait to have 9x6/7x8+ (56/54+) icons per App Launcher screen & up to 8/6 QuickLaunch Bar icons. Reduces App Launcher horizontal & vertical icon spacing and vertical icon-to-icon label. Lowers QuickLaunch Bar vertical height & icon positions. Retains original icon dimensions displayed & App Launcher icon label font size. WARNING: BEFORE UNINSTALLING, HAVE 5 OR LESS QuickLaunch Bar icons in LANDSCAPE mode!!! IF uninstalled with more than 5 icons... reinstall patch, remove extra icons & uninstall.

If you have any of the below patches currently installed, you MUST FIRST uninstall them BEFORE installing this v3 patch!:
    My original .ipk patch file from Preware from post# 1.
    My "More AppLauncher and QuickLaunch Bar Icons v2.patch" from post# 2.
    The "No Launcher Button" patch that you linked to.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by WknThDg; 09/12/2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Corrected attached v3 patch
    HP Touchpad 32GB
    cbosdell likes this.
    I guess what I was asking was if you'd be able to add in the removal of the launcher button because of the ability to just swipe up from the bottom of the screen. I've always understood that if two patches modify similar areas such as the top bar on the phones, then there would be a way to have them cooperate. I understand what you're saying though in that there is no way around them both affecting the same place and so they wouldn't work together. I realized that when I tried to install the other one and then your original patch.

I'm apologize if I missed this version 3 somewhere. I looked through the thread and saw that you had explained how to move it back to the original position. I guess I could have experimented myself.

Thank you for supplying the edited version! this in essence was I think what I was asking. I guess I didn't explain my thoughts clearly enough.

again thank you for all your work!

Kevin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast