Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Goyena
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By Goyena
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I "need" to spoof the system date for a particular app (i.e. let it believe that the date is any date before June 30, 2012. The date can be fixed to the 29th). Can anyone suggest how to homebrew this?

Setting the real system time back tends to screw up mails and texts (55 new SMS!!!), so the best would be to target just the app, if possible. Is there any way to do this through a patch, or does the app itself have to be modified (and if it's a PDK app?)
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    You would need to modify all the app calls to systemtime and replace the returned value with the value of your choice. Potentially done with a patch but I am guessing nobody here will help you maintain the app's functioning after it expires.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Yeah, looks like a shady request doesn't it? I feel bad asking...I wasn't asking for a wide release - just a bit of guidance so I might attempt to whip it up for myself, if not to0 hard.

I'll come clean: The spoof is so I can continue using the NDrive beta. I have a ton of apps on my phone, and all 62 paid apps have been purchased legitimately and I've donated for many free ones. I'm perfectly happy with webOS, but a smartphone without a viable navigation app is hard to live with.

I've tried Navit.
    I've donated to 72ka's Google Maps.
    I've donated to BFG Maps.

72ka's app is the MAPS app webOS users have been dreaming about. The other two are pffft. However, none does real step-by-step name.

Ah well, thanks anyway.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    I'm sure you're not the only one who wants to keep the NDrive beta running. Too bad the dev hasn't made it happen yet since they say they plan to abandon it anyway.
    Yeah at 49.99 Euros for the maps they are screwing some very nice people here who shelled out some cabbage.

I almost bought in as a new webOS user, but then heard some idea of what was coming...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    I'll come clean: The spoof is so I can continue using the NDrive beta. I have a ton of apps on my phone, and all 62 paid apps have been purchased legitimately and I've donated for many free ones. I'm perfectly happy with webOS, but a smartphone without a viable navigation app is hard to live with.
    Here's the rub with your request:

You're asking the community to help you unwire an intentional expiration date on a closed-source beta application. Basically, you want to make the beta act like the paid version which amounts to gray-area piracy. It's probably not what you meant when asking for a patch, but that's what it is.

Yes, it sucks that it's expiring and NDrive is leaving webOS, but everyone has to suck it up and roll forward knowing this probably won't be the last of the devs to jump ship. Such is the price for continuing to use webOS.
    Last edited by dignitary; 06/30/2012 at 01:33 AM.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Basically yes. Without nav, the platform is dead for me. So close to the grave you get desperate.

And death is no grey zone.

Apologies to the community, and thanks to Indignantary for being our unsollicited moral compass.

Because God knows the electronic one on my Pre 3 is all-but-useless.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    ...Without nav, the platform is dead for me...
    Have you looked into the Open Source alternative, Navit???

It seems they are growing in popularity around here. I think I'm going to take another pass at getting it working for me. (I fiddled a bit with it on Pre 2, I'll pick back up with Veer.)
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Tried to use Navit the other day on my Pre3 and it was an utter failure. Maybe I've been spoiled by Navigon and Waze on my old iPhone, but I couldn't even figure out how to initiate driving directions after setting my destination.

I ended up using the new homebrew Google Maps app, and that worked much better to get me where I was going.

Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I used Navit for a while before NDrive came around, and it was ok, but often annoying. Very cool that such an app can be 'brewed up, but it didn't do it for me. I'm using Google Maps as a stopgap as well, but I need onboard maps.

Apologies to the community, and thanks to Indignantary for being our unsollicited moral compass.
    Heh, I see what you did there. Well played.

back to the topic....
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Whoops. I've un-thanked you. I thought squid could somehow block an app's calls for system time. It's not a problem for app to have internet access; NDrive servers are offline anyway if you're a webOS device.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Tienes grandes huevos, padre.

Incidentally, I have friends with paid Europe maps. I think the beta ones are more up to date, aren't they (2011.09)?