Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1.    #1  
    Hi, all,

    I have an unlocked AT&T Veer, OS 2.1.2.
    While traveling, I was using a third-party SIM and needed to select a different cellular network (the SIM did not play nicely with the carrier I was logged onto).

    Guess what, I can find no setting to see available cellular networks and to log onto another net.

    I researched the forums, but all discussion seemed to be about modifying APN's. My problem is that I cannot select and switch networks in the first place.

    Someone mentioned that AT&T killed that menu option, but Sconix's Advanced System Prefs patch would help. I have all of the System Prefs patches installed, no help.

    Any other options? Workarounds? Suggestions?

    Thanks in advance, Robert
  2. #2  
    I don't have a gsm phone to verify this, but I always thought each sim was specific to the carrier, so you would buy a sim for the carrier you want to use.

    and that would be restricted by whether your version of the veer supports the radio frequencies of available carriers.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I don't have a gsm phone to verify this, but I always thought each sim was specific to the carrier, so you would buy a sim for the carrier you want to use.

    and that would be restricted by whether your version of the veer supports the radio frequencies of available carriers.
    No, SIM may or may not be carrier-specific - in home territory.
    However, when roaming outside of home carrier territory, every GSM phone I had in last 20+ years allowed selection of network. This is partly because the carrier may have roaming agreements only with some other carriers or because only certain carriers support certain features.

    This is particularly important for international SIMS, specifically designed to operate worldwide. These do connect to any carrier present, but may not work very well with every one.

    Somehow, AT&T Veer has the carrier selection disabled. On my trip overseas, the phone logged randomly onto an existing signal and would not allow me to switch to an alternate when I needed. What an infuriating decision on part of AT&T!
    I think they spent too much time working with Apple, learning how to eliminate user choices. As I mentioned, any GSM phone I know of (including iPhone, actually) allows network selection when roaming - even EU versions of Veer, for that matter.

    So, the point of my inquiry is: is there a WebOS patch or an app that provides /restores the ability to select wireless carrier network?

    Thanks, Robert
    Last edited by rdwalker; 04/06/2012 at 02:55 PM.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
    No, SIM may or may not be carrier-specific - in home territory.
    However, when roaming outside of home carrier territory, every GSM phone I had in last 20+ years allowed selection of network. This is partly because the carrier may have roaming agreements only with some other carriers or because only certain carriers support certain features.

    This is particularly important for international SIMS, specifically designed to operate worldwide. These do connect to any carrier present, but may not work very well with every one.

    Somehow, AT&T Veer has the carrier selection disabled. On my trip overseas, the phone logged randomly onto an existing signal and would not allow me to switch to an alternate when I needed. What an infuriating decision on part of AT&T!
    I think they spent too much time working with Apple, learning how to eliminate user choices. As I mentioned, any GSM phone I know of (including iPhone, actually) allows network selection when roaming - even EU versions of Veer, for that matter.

    So, the point of my inquiry is: is there a WebOS patch or an app that provides /restores the ability to select wireless carrier network?

    Thanks, Robert
    This may not help at all, but when I first got my Pixi Plus on AT&T GoPhone, I was able to switch networks for a while. (AT&T and Maritime were listed). It no longer works though and I'm using Sconix's Advanced Patch.

    Maybe try removing the patch?
  5. #5  
    You're looking for something like this:
    unlocled ATT Veer Not on ATT
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 05/06/2012 at 03:23 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    You're looking for something like this:
    unlocled ATT Veer Not on ATT
    Thanks! That seemed to be exactly what I needed!

    Except... I cannot install the patch. Installation fails both over QuickInstall and Internalz.
    Do you think you may have a clue about what I am doing wrong?
    I am describing the failed installation in my post in the thread you recommended is: unlocled ATT Veer Not on ATT

    Again, thanks in advance. Robert.

    EDIT 11-April-2012: It came out that I had to update my WebOS Quick Install. The patch worked as advertised and allows me to select cellular network. GuyFromNam, thanks for pointing me to the patch!

    I am still having problems because that patch conflicts with Sconix's Advanced System Pref's, but that is a different story altogether...
    Last edited by rdwalker; 04/11/2012 at 08:57 AM.

Posting Permissions