Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello again, my latest offering is here! Enyo Smooth Scrolling: a patch that eliminates drag snapping in Enyo apps. It effects Sliding Panes, Toasts and Swipe-to-Delete list items. It doesn't effect WebView because WebView relies on a currently unchangeable compiled browser plugin. I'll patch that when it's source is opened.

Also, it currently only works properly on the Touchpad.
    2.x Enyo is a slightly different version made to 'work' with the WebKit version on phones, and it doesn't have the same scrolling code. Next goal is to create a seperate patch for 2.x.

Updated 13/02/2012:
    All changes (excluding Swipe-to-Delete in Email, until it's open-sourced) have been accepted on GitHub and merged into the master branch of enyo-1.0:
    enyo-1.0 Pull Request on GitHub

Finished version now available for Touchpad in Preware!

I've also written a shell script to replace the stock 2.x Enyo with the Preware GitHub release. This means that 2.x users can try this patch out, but I have to stress that the GitHub release doesn't work properly on phones, there are a fair few incompatibilities with it's WebKit version. This will not change until 2.x devices get Open webOS or Enyo 2.0, so please don't complain and ask me to fix it.
    Just think of the shell script as some experimental fun. Install Enyo 1.0 from Preware and run as root with the command 'sh enyo-transplant.sh'.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 02/20/2012 at 06:38 AM.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Nice one again! I’m downloading now and will give feedback asap …

EDIT
    Got an error message during installation: patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line.
    webOS is simply fabulous

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
    in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
  3.    #3  
    What device, webOS version and Enyo install method have you got? Also ends in middle of line sounds very odd, did you download the patch through the webOS browser?

I hope to make this patch much better yet also submitted as a pull request on GitHub.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    The Pre3 uses a same-but-different version of the framework with different scrolling methods for some reason. I'm not sure about devices that got Enyo through the Maps update, if someone could test it and report back I'd be very grateful.
    Sadly, it is the Pre3 that needs an enyo scrolling patch the most. The phone app on the Pre3 could really use some patch magic to make it useable.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  5.    #5  
    I'm afraid the actual smoothness of the scrolling (Frames Per Second) is to do with the older WebKit version on 2.x. That won't change until Open webOS comes, in the meantime this patch aims to remove the snap when dragging sliding panes, toasts and multi-directional scrollers.
    Is it up? I can't find it.

Thanks,
    Baldric

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Yes tried to install it via browser download. (Adv Browser, 3.0.5 WITH Mojo Smooth, Mojo FPS, Increase Touch Sens, Sys Control Opt, WITHOUT Enyo 1.0 Open Source)

Now it’s up in Preware, just installed it and notice a definitive improvement: smoother dragging in E-Mail, Tap Note and other Enyo apps! There still is the second you have to wait untill the position is fully loaded (as it is with every scene changing in webOS. Don’t know Toast you wrote about—how/where to test that?

Thanks for another tremendous patch!
    webOS is simply fabulous

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
    I'm curious what we mean by "snap" in this case?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  9.    #9  
    You can test Toasts via Maps or the Browser, the popout sidebars in those apps are toasts.

The 'snap' in this case is when the element you're dragging jumps 8-10 pixels when your finger has traveled far enough to initiate the drag. You can test it by comparing the panels in the email app vs the ones in Browser/Maps.

Also gerzhwin, the webOS Browser doesn support the type of file transfer the forum uses. You have to use the 'Email attachment' link as a workaround.
    Alright: Toasts are also dead snappy, however in the Web/Adv Browser app movement of about the last 10 to 20 px lag a bit—curiously not or at least not most of the times when the virtual keyboard is visible.

Still it is a big improvement, which gives a much more sleek experience using webOS!
    webOS is simply fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I'm curious what we mean by "snap" in this case?
    Means kind of «speedy» or «quick».
    webOS is simply fabulous

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gerzhwin View Post
    Means kind of «speedy» or «quick».
    I'm afraid it doesn't in this case, it's a sudden 8-10px movement when the device first registers a drag event. For some reason Palm's engineers programmed the whole of Mojo to do this, and some parts of Enyo. The most obvious example is in the Browser when drag-scrolling a page, when you first move your finger it 'snaps' instead of moving smoothly.

Also I'd just like to reiterate that this patch doesn't affect Toasts or free-scrolling controls. Yet.
    Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 02/11/2012 at 09:56 AM.
  13.    #13  
    Updated: See OP.
    so this patch haven't effect the stock browser performance?
  15.    #15  
    I'm afraid not- I still need to figure out how to fix the free-scrolling snap and toasts.
    I'm afraid it doesn't in this case, it's a sudden 8-10px movement when the device first registers a drag event. For some reason Palm's engineers programmed the whole of Mojo to do this, and some parts of Enyo. The most obvious example is in the Browser when drag-scrolling a page, when you first move your finger it 'snaps' instead of moving smoothly.

Also I'd just like to reiterate that this patch doesn't affect Toasts or free-scrolling controls. Yet.
    You’re right of course I didn’t look up what you where posting, just got blazed by the now snappy Enyo drag/Toast performance, and wrote …
    webOS is simply fabulous

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I think the idea is to avoid accidentally scrolling or dragging things. It only starts once it is sure you really want to do it.

I never actually noticed this as an issue, I guess it doesn't bother me. But that's the nice thing about patches, install just the ones you want.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    I think the idea is to avoid accidentally scrolling or dragging things. It only starts once it is sure you really want to do it.

I never actually noticed this as an issue, I guess it doesn't bother me. But that's the nice thing about patches, install just the ones you want.
    Let me put it this way.

When the user's finger is first placed on a scrolling element, Enyo stores the position of that touch in memory. While the user's finger is still on the screen, Enyo tracks it's movement. If the finger doesn't move and the user releases their finger, a tap event is fired. If it's moved more than 4 pixels in any direction, a dragStart event is fired.

At this point without my patch installed, Enyo tells the content to immediately move to the user's finger without animation. This causes it to 'snap' 4 or so pixels from it's original position to it's dragged position. From there, it follows the user's finger.

Whereas with my patch installed, the system still waits for a dragStart event after 4px of finger movement, but that 4px is ignored by the content and it just follows the user's finger motion from there. This is actually the default behaviour for a lot of enyo's scrolling controls such as single-axis lists (the lists in the email app, try dragging one of those, and then dragging one of the panes without my patch installed. Then tell me you don't see a difference.) and it a lot smoother/nicer looking.

Sorry for the long diatribe, but having to explain what my patch does over and over and over again doth not a happy developer make.
    knownboyofno likes this.
  19.    #19  
    Small and slightly disappointing news update: See OP.
  20.    #20  
    Big and most excellent update: The patch is finished, see OP.

Apologies for the triple-post.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast