Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By rwhitby
  • 1 Post By rwhitby
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I maybe just don't get it, but I am a little confused about how AUSMT helps me. Like a good, instruction-following webOS user, I ran EPR prior to updating to 3.0.5, thus removing all of my wonderful, amazing patches. I listened to the advice from webOS-internals, and did not manually add the 3.0.4 feeds in preware, so I am unhappily patchless on my TP.

This morning, AUSMT showed up in preware, and I installed it. Hooray! My question is: now what? I still don't see any patches available in preware, so there's not really anything for AUSMT to update. Am I missing something? Am I just being impatient?

-bc
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cellobrian View Post
    Ok, I maybe just don't get it, but I am a little confused about how AUSMT helps me. Like a good, instruction-following webOS user, I ran EPR prior to updating to 3.0.5, thus removing all of my wonderful, amazing patches. I listened to the advice from webOS-internals, and did not manually add the 3.0.4 feeds in preware, so I am unhappily patchless on my TP.

This morning, AUSMT showed up in preware, and I installed it. Hooray! My question is: now what? I still don't see any patches available in preware, so there's not really anything for AUSMT to update. Am I missing something? Am I just being impatient?

-bc
    You are just being impatient :-) AUSMT is just the base for patches to work. Now all the patches have to be tested and fixed (as usual) for 3.0.5. some are already in the beta patch feed
    I'm in the same boat you are. Installed AUSMT this morning, but can't really find instructions on how to use. So I'm left wondering, am I dumb or impatient?
    Quote Originally Posted by chris42 View Post
    You are just being impatient :-) AUSMT is just the base for patches to work. Now all the patches have to be tested and fixed (as usual) for 3.0.5. some are already in the beta patch feed
    I have fought too many battles with bad patches to get impatient. I am hopeful the wait will be worth it. I simply am not having any problems with the way 3.0.5 is working.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    <thread moved>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I'm still on 3.0.4 here, with some patches installed (very few, and none that affect the apps that were moved on the back end like calendar, etc). Should I be installing AUSMT now, or wait until after 3.0.5? Or does it even matter?

Here is my .webosinternals.patches.packages file, which I used to verity (per the wiki) that there aren't any old, incompatible patches. It would appear not.

org.webosinternals.patches.browser-add-thumbnav-controls aupt-4
    org.webosinternals.patches.system-remove-tap-ripple aupt-4
    org.webosinternals.patches.misc-unthrottle-download-manager aupt-4
    org.webosinternals.patches.misc-ad-blocker aupt-4
    org.webosinternals.patches.browser-private-browsing aupt-4
    org.webosinternals.patches.misc-buttah aupt-4
    org.webosinternals.patches.misc-max-blocker aupt-4
    org.webosinternals.patches.misc-increase-touch-sensitivity-and-smoothness aupt-4

I'm also not sure why thumnav-controls, ad-blocker, and buttah are listed, since these have been uninstalled for quite some time. Is that anything I should be worried about? Did something not uninstall correctly?
    The initial set of webOS 3.0.5 patches (including the new AUSMT functionality) are now released.

For any that are missing, please contact the patch author and ask them to submit an update at webOS-Patches Web Portal

If the author cannot be contacted, please consider yourself submitting an update (the MIT license under which all our patches are released allows for that).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    OldSkoolVWLover and Rnp like this.
    I'm confused so this seems like the right thread to post to.

I've taken the excellent advice about waiting for the arrival of AUSMT and the official 3.0.5 patch feed rather than monkey around with 3.0.4 patches in 3.0.5.

Now that the patches have shown up in Preware and I see references to AUSMT being "released" and people posting that they have "installed AUSMT" I tried to find AUSMT to install so I could start adding a few patches. ....

.... But I can't find anything except some scripts. ???

So I did a bunch of searching and a bunch of reading. And I have come to this conclusion:

There is no AUSMT to "install".

... Is there? ???

My assessment is this:

- AUSMT is not an application.

- AUSMT is an underlying technology that has been implemented in Preware, WOSQI and the patch contents themselves. In fact it's not even that much; It's really just an overarching name for the technology that is specified in AUPT-5 (and -6 and onwards?).

- As updated versions of Preware, WOSQI and themes/patches become available they implement that technology, with no actual "installation" of something called AUSMT required on the user's part.

- The items labelled "AUSMT" in the Linux Application feed are just some scripts that are only required if you:

a) want to verify that all your installed theme and patch packages now adhere to the AUSMT (actually AUPT-5/6 ??) specification(s), or

b)you want to remove them all in one whack, kind of like EPR did for webOS 3.0.4 and earlier.

Is that close?

I guess I'll find out soon enough. Now that the 3.0.5 patches have appeared in Preware I'm simply going to install a few. Then I'll run the AUSMT verification script and see what happens.

I apologize if this seems redundant to the developers who have worked so hard on designing and implementing the technology and the theme/patch authors who have worked to update their patches to comply to the new AUPT specs as well as making sure they work properly in webOS 3.0.5. But I could not find a complete and user-friendly description anywhere that we average Touchpad users could read.

This is in no way intended to be critical. I've actually got a fairly strong technical background so I appreciate all the behind-the-scenes work that this is taking. I assumed if I was confused about what AUSMT really is, as in "What do I as a user need to do to make it work?", there are probably others wondering the same thing. ...

If I'm right about how it all works, the simple and beautiful answer is, "Not a thing. Just install the patches from the 3.0.5 feed in Preware and enjoy!"

...ken...
    Last edited by Ken in Regina; 01/27/2012 at 12:24 PM.
    Just install or update your patches - everything else is automatic.

-- Rod
    Rnp likes this.
    so now i'm confused. I thought i had to install the preware package 'AUSMT Script' version 1.2.1 to have the AUSMT compatible patches work. should i better uninstall this from my Pre3 now or is this script installed automatically when using one of the 'AUSMT Recovery' apps? couldn't find anything about that script package in the wiki linked in the package.
    Last edited by gizmo21; 02/02/2012 at 06:12 AM.
    Will EPR still work after you've updated all AUSMT compatible patches?

I see the posts about using EPR to remove "Muffle System Logging", but I thought I read another post that said that EPR wasn't aware of the AUSMT changes, and it's not clear whether those who successfully used EPR to get a clean sheet were doing it before or after updating everything else.

Spyke
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    so now i'm confused. I thought i had to install the preware package 'AUSMT Script' version 1.2.1 to have the AUSMT compatible patches work. should i better uninstall this from my Pre3 now or is this script installed automatically when using one of the 'AUSMT Recovery' apps? couldn't find anything about that script package in the wiki linked in the package.
    From what I can tell the AUSMT Script is for certain patches/homebrew programs that need additional support packages.

When I installed UberCalendar HD it required the AUSMT Script to be installed.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    All AUSMT patches, themes and recovery packages depend upon the AUSMT scripts package, which is installed automatically by Preware the first time you install any of those things.

Leave it installed.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    Will EPR still work after you've updated all AUSMT compatible patches?

I see the posts about using EPR to remove "Muffle System Logging", but I thought I read another post that said that EPR wasn't aware of the AUSMT changes, and it's not clear whether those who successfully used EPR to get a clean sheet were doing it before or after updating everything else.

Spyke
    Once you have moved to AUSMT patches, use the AUSMT recovery tools.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Once you have moved to AUSMT patches, use the AUSMT recovery tools.

-- Rod
    Hmm. I just tried to run AUSMT basic recovery and it gave a lot of messages about having no backup files, then said success, then the Touchpad crashed (maybe it said it would force a restart).

That does seem to have worked, thanks. At least, after the restart I don't seem to have any of the patches installed. Still a bit confused. Sorry. I thought the AUSMT recovery was supposed to reinstall the patches you have. Must go and read those threads again.

Spyke
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    That does seem to have worked, thanks. At least, after the restart I don't seem to have any of the patches installed. Still a bit confused. Sorry. I thought the AUSMT recovery was supposed to reinstall the patches you have.
    AUSMT recovery is supposed to recover tot he original 'unpatched' state. After running AUSMT recovery, you have to re-install the patches.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad