Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By twack
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    This is a funny story that I just had to share.

Tonight my wife came into my office and said she was going to bed. I told her "good night" and that I loved her. She then set my developer head on a spin. Here's how the conversation went:

Wife: Could you take the "Pandora Patch" off my TouchPad before I go to bed?
    Twack: Why?
    Wife: Because now the clock does not display right in the charger stand.
    Twack: What? I didn't touch the clock.
    Wife: Before when I was in bed, all I had to do was to roll over to see the clock. It was sideways, so I didn't have to cringe my neck to see what time it was like a normal clock. Now it displays normal if you're sitting up, but not if you're on your side in bed.
    Twack: Well, I guess I can remove the patch if you want it taken off Honey.
    Wife: Yes please, because during the week I put it in the charger with the button to the right and on the weekends I put the button to the left.
    Twack: WHAT the heck does that do? That makes no sense.
    Wife: To the right it will display the clock, to the left it goes black.
    Twack: Here, I removed it. Good night, I'm going to stay up and drink.

It's funny how people use gadgets isn't it. Her reasoning makes total sense. Arggg, I hate it when she's right. Pandora prolly never fully ported to the TouchPad because the developer wanted to keep his wife happy.

Now I am sitting here writing this and seeing how different apps act in exhibition mode. I never knew that the exhibition mode was orientation aware. Did anyone else? In old "phone sized" Pandora, with the button to the right, it uses the top notification springy thingy to show the new song. If the button is to the left, the whole screen lights up and displays the new song in the middle. Wonder why that never bothered her? In new HD Pandora, with the button to the right, the clock displays and it uses the notification on song change. To the left, it flashes the whole screen on song changes.

If you are using "Agenda" as your exhibition app, its the same except that with the button to the left, the screen does not flash on song change. Interesting.... I'd love to test more, but I'm signing off now.

Good night webOS'ers.
    Twack

And note to self: "Change testing parameters to add: test app in bed"
    Last edited by twack; 01/02/2012 at 03:56 AM.
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    interesting... I'd always read that Exhibition hadn't managed any orientation awareness yet. Perhaps this is a way to orientation sensitive exhibition apps?
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    interesting... I'd always read that Exhibition hadn't managed any orientation awareness yet. Perhaps this is a way to orientation sensitive exhibition apps?
    Not sure...

But I have seen a lot of posts here from people wanting to turn off the screen in the charger. The answer was there all along, "Just turn the TP over". It really is true that the obvious is not always the obvious.

This morning while we were talking about me posting the story, she asked: "Could I make the clock 'know' when to display sideways? Like, between 10 at night and 8 in the morning or when it was in the bedroom?" My reponse was just some mumbling about a dream of having touch stones that were addressable. Does anyone remember that sales pitch at CES 2010?

I guess I'll tell the wife that she's just another person that the old HP CEO did not make happy in bed......

Have a great New Year!
    TWack

Sounds like a bug in the clock app that it doesn't know what to do, orientation should be fully supported

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Sounds like a bug in the clock app that it doesn't know what to do, orientation should be fully supported

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    E',

Read all of the first text. She wants it to be sideways, like it does if you have a "phone" app running when it goes into exhibition. Get it?

Cheers,
    TWack

Ummm, my touchpad doesn't charge in the touchstone with the button up or to the left. It does go dark then however.
    to turn the screen off, just hit the power button again. It will shut off, but it comes on again if there's an alert.
    OHHh ok, it was warping my mind trying to wrap around it, but I had a lot of other things I was concerned with at the time that didn't involve understanding this message .. sorry..

Yeah, ok, when you have a phone app running, Exhibition mode gets all screwed up. So, just get her a phone app to run lol
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    That would have made me fall in love all over again.
    You plug your phone in?